Tab Copyrighting?

PDA

View Full Version : Tab Copyrighting?

Guitarman015
10-02-2007, 08:01 PM
Is it illegal for me to tab a song in a guitar magazine, give proper credit to their tabbing staff, and post it on UG? Because i want some contribution points and i can't tab worth a ****

mohawkkidJohn
10-02-2007, 08:06 PM
they have to be eartranscribed by you but... who cares if they dont have the tab for the song.

nayleD1337
10-02-2007, 10:04 PM
techniclly the rules say your not supposed to... but i still see people doing it anyways so whatever.

buckethead_jr
10-03-2007, 08:13 AM
Yes it is.

I'd advise not doing it, it's just another thing the MPA can shut us down for, if they find a vast amount of copyrighted tabs on here.

Copyrighted tabs being those of guitar magazines, official tab books etc.

Confusius
10-03-2007, 10:38 AM
You can't copyright tabs for tabs, are an interpretation of how a song should be played.

I'll get an interesting link.

SomeoneYouKnew
10-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Is it illegal for me to tab a song in a guitar magazine, give proper credit to their tabbing staff, and post it on UG? Because i want some contribution points and i can't tab worth a ****1 - It is not illegal.

2 - To pass off anyone else's work as your own would be unethical. Not acknowledging the original tabber would be wrong.

3 - I have no idea whether or not you get contribution points for someone elses work.

4 - Points are nice, I suppose. But why do you see them as being so important?

This is from another thread:

This has happened since the dawn of tab sites.

Tabs are for sharing with the public domain, we have no issues with using tabs uploaded elsewhere.

If you are the author of these tabs we will gladly change the tab credit to your account but we certainly won't remove tabs or punish members just because the tabs are taken from other sites. The whole point of tablature being free is to help other guitarists. Credit where credit's due, but it really doesn't bother me when my tabs turn up elsewhere. It's a complement if anything.

http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=660478

buckethead_jr
10-03-2007, 12:59 PM
^That quote from Rankles is dealing with tabs that are uploaded on another site, not ones from a source like a guitar magazine, which are often taken from official tab books with permission.

"tab is officially published in books, to be bought, from which a royalty goes to the songwriter"

Tabs from those books are copyrighted, thus leading us to this problem.

It is illegal, but there is nothing really being done about it at the moment.

Andrewbiles
10-04-2007, 12:31 PM
1 - It is not illegal.

4 - Points are nice, I suppose. But why do you see them as being so important?

1. Technically, yes it is.

4. Completely agree.

LetTheBassPlay
10-04-2007, 01:43 PM
well, wouldnt that mean that if anyone got a tab exactly right by ear that it would be copyright violation? because they would have it right, and so would the tab book

Andrewbiles
10-04-2007, 03:27 PM
^ The magazines pay to print the songs that they put in their issues. They're paying for the copyright, and in which case means that they have to say how many they're going to print and have to pay a proportion of that to the music publishing companies. They're also paying the tabbers to write the tabs exclusively for the magazine.

Technically you probably could put the tab up though considering this site is on the fringes of legality.

tubab0y
10-06-2007, 06:31 PM
Yeah, but ethically it isn't wrong, as tabbers for magazines probably don't royalties, just a single payment.