New neck for my Jackson

PDA

View Full Version : New neck for my Jackson

Kur† Cobain
10-13-2007, 06:45 AM
I'm thinking of changing the neck on my Jackson JS30 with the one from the Jackson DXMG.
Is it possible?
Will the neck fit the body?
I really like DXMG neck, because it has shark fin inlays, and reversed headstock, so if you know any other Jackson neck with this specs that will fit my guitar, please tell me.
I'm also worried because my neck has 22 frets, and I would like to change it with a 24 fret-neck?
Please help!!!

RGman
10-13-2007, 06:56 AM
22 fret - 24 fret is a no go. Sorry.

Cobain_Is_King
10-13-2007, 07:17 AM
My JS30RR has a 24 fret neck.

RGman
10-13-2007, 07:26 AM
JS30 has 22 frets..

Kur† Cobain
10-13-2007, 08:08 AM
I have just been on the Jackson official , and compared the specs of JS30 and JS30RR, and I discovered that both have same scale length, neck dimensions at 1st and 12th fret, and width at nut!
Does that mean that it fits my guitar, or what?

Justin Credible
10-13-2007, 09:28 AM
IF they're both 24 fret necks then yes. But they're not so no dice.

Find a neck from an RR3 or RX10D and you should be fine.

Kur† Cobain
10-13-2007, 11:47 AM
But RX10D neck also has 24 frets.Are you sure that they are compatible (JS30 body & RX10D neck)?

RGman
10-13-2007, 04:03 PM
JS30 has 22 frets, no 24 fret will fit at all! You need a 22 FRET neck...

Of course they have the same scale length, but use your common sense.

forsaknazrael
10-13-2007, 04:31 PM
As long as the scale is the same, and the neck pocket and neck heel are the same, I don't see a problem.

The 24 fret extension may extend into the neck pickup, though.

Do you own both guitars?

CJRocker
10-13-2007, 04:53 PM
It won't work. It will fit, but it won't intonate.

forsaknazrael
10-13-2007, 04:54 PM
Why? They're the same scale...The frets are all in the same places...

EDIT: Proof from a fret calculator:
http://i131.photobucket.com/albums/p315/naazrael/scale.jpg

CJRocker
10-13-2007, 05:12 PM
It has to do with the heel of the neck to start off. The feel goes further forward on a 24 fret, and when you put it in it will change the position of the neck. Thats why the bridges on 24 fret guitars are further forward, making it equal to a 22 fret.

RGman
10-13-2007, 06:01 PM
Ok, to put it simply.

When you have a 24 fret neck on a guitar meant for a 22 fret neck, you are actually creating a longer scale length (remember neck is longer due to 2 extra frets), so basically the nut is an extra 3/4" or so away from the bridge, which creates a longer scale length. This means none of the notes will be correct when fretted, there will be no possible way to intonate and to swap a 22 fret neck for 24 on a guitar body meant for a 22, would be stupid.

We know that they are the same scale, but that is totally irrelevant to the actual problem, for starters, neck is longer on the 24 fret, meaning different pocket dimensions. You will find that with most bolt on necks the fretboards have a slight hang over of 10mm or so, it is not that the 24 fret necks have a bigger hang over with the same sized neck, it doesn't work like that.

Want a more detailed explanation or does that cut it?

sashki
10-13-2007, 06:31 PM
The scale length would be the same, just 24-fret necks stick out of the body more, so by putting a 24 fret neck on, it would be too long and that would mess up your intonation.

CJRocker
10-13-2007, 07:07 PM
Ok, to put it simply.

When you have a 24 fret neck on a guitar meant for a 22 fret neck, you are actually creating a longer scale length (remember neck is longer due to 2 extra frets), so basically the nut is an extra 3/4" or so away from the bridge, which creates a longer scale length. This means none of the notes will be correct when fretted, there will be no possible way to intonate and to swap a 22 fret neck for 24 on a guitar body meant for a 22, would be stupid.

We know that they are the same scale, but that is totally irrelevant to the actual problem, for starters, neck is longer on the 24 fret, meaning different pocket dimensions. You will find that with most bolt on necks the fretboards have a slight hang over of 10mm or so, it is not that the 24 fret necks have a bigger hang over with the same sized neck, it doesn't work like that.

Want a more detailed explanation or does that cut it?

Thanks, thats basically what I was trying to say, but too stupid to word right :haha

forsaknazrael
10-13-2007, 11:32 PM
Except the neck heel isn't always necessarily different. If you look at my post, I said, as long as the neck heel and pocket are the SAME, you're good to go. Many 24 fret necks have the fretboard as an extension.....

CJRocker
10-13-2007, 11:35 PM
Except the neck heel isn't always necessarily different. If you look at my post, I said, as long as the neck heel and pocket are the SAME, you're good to go. Many 24 fret necks have the fretboard as an extension.....

Not really. Warmoth necks do, but most don't. Most have an over hang, but not an extension.

EDIT: And the DKMG neck is a proper 24 fretter.

Pikka Bird
10-13-2007, 11:38 PM
Extension = overhang... As far as I know anyways. If that's not the case, CJR, then what's an extension? (because I've never seen a guitar with two extra frets worth of fretboard glued onto the end, if that's what you mean)

CJRocker
10-13-2007, 11:42 PM
Extension = overhang... As far as I know anyways. If that's not the case, CJR, then what's an extension? (because I've never seen a guitar with two extra frets worth of fretboard glued onto the end, if that's what you mean)

Here. (http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=fretboard_extension)

A 24 fret has over hang like the first neck pictured, but its not an extension, like the second one pictured.

Pikka Bird
10-13-2007, 11:49 PM
No, they're both overhangs. At Warmoth they just call the 24 fret one an "extension" because it's longer than their standard fretboards...

CJRocker
10-13-2007, 11:52 PM
No, they're both overhangs. At Warmoth they just call the 24 fret one an "extension" because it's longer than their standard fretboards...

Well, when I said extension, I meant Warmoth extension. Necks often have overhang, but that doesn't mean its an extension per se, its just the design of the neck. I think thats how I want to word that... In other words, a Warmoth w/ 24 fret extension should work, because its basically a 22 fret with 24 added on. A true 24 fret however, will not

Pikka Bird
10-14-2007, 12:00 AM
That's true... True 24-fret necks will need to go on bodies made for true 24-fret necks, or else you'll lose a pickup and fuck up the intonation. (Or one could rout the neck pocket and pickup cavity a little)

But for all intents and purposes, yes- forsaknazrael is right.

forsaknazrael
10-14-2007, 12:16 AM
:cheers:

Anyhoo, if the neck in question is what you call a "true" 24 fret, then, yes, this won't work properly.

Also, unless Jackson makes their necks with a standard Fender neck pocket/heel, Warmoth won't fit it, just to clarify for the TS.

RGman
10-14-2007, 12:38 AM
Jackson use fender pockets, but that overhang on warmoth necks will cover half of the neck pickup.

Jackson also use "true" 24 fret necks, as do most brands.

forsaknazrael
10-14-2007, 12:50 AM
Yeah, that problem with the neck pickup is very common if you try to convert over.

Pikka Bird
10-14-2007, 01:26 AM
^That's what I was getting at by the routing comment up there... But I guess the point is moot, because you'd have to extend one side of the pickup rout and block the other, the cutaway would pretty much need to be extended, which would make the heel seem longer in comparison...