Where do you guys press the frets?

PDA

View Full Version : Where do you guys press the frets?

abhiramtheking
10-20-2007, 04:28 PM
I've tried pressing them smack in the middle, closer to the top bar, and closer to the bottom bar. I've gotten mixed results for all three so I was wondering where the "right" spot is for the frets.

crzywhiteboy
10-20-2007, 04:31 PM
right before the frets.
frets are the metal parts on the fretboard don't confuse them..

just17n8
10-20-2007, 04:36 PM
right at the edge of the next fret

TheBurningFish
10-20-2007, 04:37 PM
Ur really supposed to press them just before the fretwire... like so if ur playin a note on the fifth fret it should be right beside the 6th fret to minimize fret buzz.

Personally I dont give a ****. I rarely notice the difference.

ltbalko
10-20-2007, 04:41 PM
whatever way doesnt buzz

FRDesign
10-20-2007, 04:41 PM
right before the frets.
frets are the metal parts on the fretboard don't confuse them..Frets are the space between the Metal parts.

The Metal part is a Fretwire.

Guitarman015
10-20-2007, 04:42 PM
right behind the fret bar

Pingis_Or_Death
10-20-2007, 04:45 PM
Wherever I press, I never get any fret buzz...

LeftyDave
10-20-2007, 08:23 PM
Frets are the space between the Metal parts.

Where on earth did you come up with that nonsense? Frets are fretwires. The fretboard is the entire length of the playable surface of the neck, including the space between the frets.
And to answer threadstarter, the correct place to "fret" each string is just behind, or to the nut side of each fret. Too close and you'll mute the string if your fingertip should overhang it at all. Too far back and the string will buzz. So to play a note at the first fret, you should be pressing the string down just behind the wire, not in the middle nor closer to the nut (the white part with slots in it at the the headstock end of the neck).

philipp122
10-20-2007, 09:31 PM
burningfish, that quote in your sig is hilarious.

It really doesn't matter unless buzzing is a problem for you; then just get in the habit of playing closer to the next fret.

Zelp
10-20-2007, 09:34 PM
play as close to the next fret as possible to reduce buzz.

Forgotmyid
10-21-2007, 04:37 AM
U gotta press at the place close to the fret.

I hope the pic helps! :peace:

steven seagull
10-21-2007, 08:43 AM

No, the frets are the metal bits.

abhiramtheking
10-22-2007, 03:20 AM
Thanks for the replies, it's sounding a lot better!

DaddyTwoFoot
10-22-2007, 05:20 PM

No sir. Using the term "fret" to indicate the space between the metal bits is just a colloquialism.

Peanut1614
10-22-2007, 05:47 PM
Where on earth did you come up with that nonsense? Frets are fretwires. The fretboard is the entire length of the playable surface of the neck, including the space between the frets.
And to answer threadstarter, the correct place to "fret" each string is just behind, or to the nut side of each fret. Too close and you'll mute the string if your fingertip should overhang it at all. Too far back and the string will buzz. So to play a note at the first fret, you should be pressing the string down just behind the wire, not in the middle nor closer to the nut (the white part with slots in it at the the headstock end of the neck).

The nut side? You mean the other side, the bridge side? You explain it right later on though :)

PurpleSpark73
10-22-2007, 06:09 PM
when startin out its easier to have your finger closer to next fret to not get fret buzzing but for vibrato i play it more in the middle.