What does it mean to scoop mids?

PDA

View Full Version : What does it mean to scoop mids?

fixationdarknes
10-29-2007, 11:56 AM
It seems that people just randomly say "don't scoop your mids noob!" every once in a while, so I need to know what it means and why it's such a bad thing. Thanks.

Storm_Bringer_
10-29-2007, 11:59 AM
You USUALLY have a 3 band EQ on your amp labeled low mid high or bass middle treble

scooping is where you turn it to 0. Guitar is a mid range instrument so scooping the mids means you don't cut through the mix very well as your treble blends with the cymbals and snare of a drum kit and your bass will blend with the bass guitar bass drum etc

Additionally scooped mids usually sound very tinny and just plain bad.

Hope that answers your question

fixationdarknes
10-29-2007, 12:04 PM
So why would anyone scoop their mids then? It seems logical not to.

chris_kedro
10-29-2007, 12:07 PM
Doing it within reason is different than going crazy with it.

Storm_Bringer_
10-29-2007, 12:09 PM
well people do it 1. because some of their heroes did it (dimebag did, he has horrible tone in my opinion despite being a great guitarist) 2. some people genuinely prefer it, for metal mainly.

Tone is completely subjective so if you like to scoop mids, you go ahead, but you'll get flamed big time. If you like it then who gives a crap? Didn't stop Pantera selling albums

TheShadow
10-29-2007, 12:09 PM
Could you not double layer it a guitar track, having one with an ordinary mids-boosted EQ, and then one with scooped-mids to have boosted treble and bass?

fixationdarknes
10-29-2007, 12:33 PM
So what are the benefits to doing this then since there are apparently people who do it?

John W
10-29-2007, 12:35 PM
Scooped mids doesnt mean 'turning the mids down to 0'. It means putting the mids slightly back. It can add a bit more oomph to palm muted metal crap, but sounds terrible for anything else (unless in moderation).

CJRocker
10-29-2007, 12:37 PM
So what are the benefits to doing this then since there are apparently people who do it?

It gives you that whole Slipknot/Disturbed/etc nu metal tone. Btw, theres a reason those guys bang their heads so low; its because they need their heads level with the speakers as they can't hear themselves in the mix ;)

Kendall
10-29-2007, 01:48 PM
If you have a LOT of headroom, you can achieve some interesting tones that would otherwise be unavailable. As noted before, it's easy to get shrill sounds that don't cut through but this is less of an issue if you have a ton of headroom. It works well for heavily distorted rhythm playing in some situations, but I definitely believe too many people compromise their tone by trying to scoop the mids. Personally I have the highs and lows backed off with the mids at 11, it's very thick sounding.

The Fret-Dancer
10-29-2007, 01:59 PM
What if, say, i hypothetically am working with a guy who is hypothetically an idiot and scoops his mids in my hypothetical band and it sounds like a load of hypothetical crap and i wanna get rid of the arsehole cuz everyones telling him "dont do that" (hypothetically, of course) but hes not listening but we cant get rid of him cuz hypothetically, its his band. Is there some way besides kicking his ass that i can hypothetically make it where i dont have to hear his hypothetical s***?

Storm_Bringer_
10-29-2007, 02:01 PM
you get the rest of the band to agree that he's a wang and you tell him to piss off

fixationdarknes
10-29-2007, 02:22 PM
What if, say, i hypothetically am working with a guy who is hypothetically an idiot and scoops his mids in my hypothetical band and it sounds like a load of hypothetical crap and i wanna get rid of the arsehole cuz everyones telling him "dont do that" (hypothetically, of course) but hes not listening but we cant get rid of him cuz hypothetically, its his band. Is there some way besides kicking his ass that i can hypothetically make it where i dont have to hear his hypothetical s***?

Well, unless he's actually needed (equipment, garage, guitar/composition skills)...and he for the life of him won't be open-minded at all to the whole bands' input, then I say just pull the whole "everyone quits the band and reforms without him so he technically didn't get kicked out of the band" deal. lol.

bartdevil_metal
10-29-2007, 02:46 PM
Could you not double layer it a guitar track, having one with an ordinary mids-boosted EQ, and then one with scooped-mids to have boosted treble and bass?

Welcome to Metallica's world.

fux capacitor
03-07-2013, 12:46 AM
I think humbuckers that are scooped mids are the way to go. Chords don't get hairy or distorted. Scooped mids on an amp, just don't go below zero, the guitar will get overpowered by the rest of the band. Try this, play your favorite song on the stereo with the EQ scooped. Guitar, where did you go!

AxSilentxLine
03-07-2013, 12:59 AM
"Don't scoop your mids" is a very general statement. Most amps have a 3 band EQ (bass, mid, treble) and the problem with this is the mid control usually covers a very broad range of frequencies. By turning down the mid knob you are cutting the frequencies that give your tone punch and body (the low-mids) which is generally not desirable (clean tones can be the exception).

In a studio environment you tend to reduce frequencies around the 700 - 800hz range which your ears generally attribute to harsh frequencies and I like to slightly boost the 250 - 300hz range which adds a bit of punch and body. Another very logical reason to reduce mid frequencies is double or quad tracking, things can get very boomy very fast. You'd be surprised how flat and thin some of your favourite guitar tones are if you could isolate them into a single mono track in a studio.

The moral of the story is blanket terms like "don't scoop your mids noob" are not always correct and should be avoided. Like I always say EQ with your ears, if you like it, do it.

Deadpool_25
03-07-2013, 01:12 AM
Is there some way besides kicking his ass that i can hypothetically make it where i dont have to hear his hypothetical s***?

Sure there are other ways, but there's not much that generates as much instant motivation as a good asskicking.

And as JohnW pointed out, "scooping" isn't necessarily turning them to 0. It's just backing them off a bit more than the bass and treble. More accurately, it's creating an EQ curve where the middle section is lower than either end....as if a scoop has been taken out of the middle. But there can be a huge difference between slightly scooped mids and very scooped mids.

As has been said, EQ with your ears. If it sounds good, it IS good.

losing battle
03-07-2013, 01:20 AM
Dat necrobump!

AxSilentxLine
03-07-2013, 01:24 AM
Dat necrobump!
Didn't even notice that :facepalm:

Offworld92
03-07-2013, 01:44 AM
I was gonna say, holy shit Fixation's back! But then I saw the date. :o