Piccolo bass...

PDA

View Full Version : Piccolo bass...

Hergiswi
10-31-2007, 08:47 PM
Now, understand, this is a completely hypothetical question. I'm not even in the market for a piccolo bass; I'm just curious.

If one were going to own a piccolo bass, what would be the best method of doing so? I've heard that there are two ways, one involving a short scale neck and one involving piccolo strings. Would piccolo strings be the best choice since all you'd have to do is adjust the truss rod and intonation?

sinan90
10-31-2007, 08:50 PM
The electric is a string instrument very similar to a four stringed electric bass guitar, but usually tuned one whole octave higher than a normal bass. This results in the lowest note from a piccolo bass usually being equal to the E found on the seventh fret of the A string on a standard bass. To allow such an uptuning, the strings can be thinner, or the length of the neck (the scale) can be shorter. The first option is the most common, and several companies manufacture piccolo sets that can be put on any regular bass, thereby converting any bass into a piccolo bass. Because of the thinner strings, a new nut may be required to hold the strings. Some people prefer a slightly shorter scale, such as 30" or 28".

Hope that helps.

pavel
10-31-2007, 08:59 PM
so basically you want a guitar with 4 strings and a larger scale...cuz thats what happens when you put on the thinner strings. and it starts an octave higher...how pointless is that?

EDIT: lame

Hergiswi
10-31-2007, 09:19 PM
so basically you want a guitar with 4 strings and a larger scale...cuz thats what happens when you put on the thinner strings. and it starts an octave higher...how pointless is that?

Not quite, retard. Try getting a fretless bass tone on a guitar and get back to me.

CLIFF_BURTON
10-31-2007, 09:32 PM
Wow what kind of music do you plan making with this?

Try getting a fretless bass tone on a guitar and get back to me.

I thought those were called acoustics...

Caustic
10-31-2007, 10:39 PM

. . .

Acoustic does not automatically equal fretless, you great loaf.

Deliriumbassist
10-31-2007, 10:52 PM

Piccolo basses, although in the same octave, sound very different from guitars. If you don't know what you're on about, don't bother posting.

MetalUpTheAss
10-31-2007, 11:00 PM

Because guitars have 34" scale, right? It sounds different.

Narcotics
10-31-2007, 11:09 PM
Wow what kind of music do you plan making with this?

lmfao!!!!!

you have either never played/heard a fretless

or have and ar an idiot
lmfao

sidious
11-01-2007, 08:41 AM
Piccolo basses, although in the same octave, sound very different from guitars. If you don't know what you're on about, don't bother posting.

But it may be just me, but I don't think a guitar is one octave higher. MY e on te a-string doesn't sound as high as the e-string on a guitar.
Or is that just me? :confused:

Lendorav
11-01-2007, 08:52 AM
But it may be just me, but I don't think a guitar is one octave higher. MY e on te a-string doesn't sound as high as the e-string on a guitar.

It's just you. Tune your bass.

sidious
11-01-2007, 09:03 AM
:rolleyes:

sinan90
11-01-2007, 09:15 AM

+1

watchingmefall
11-01-2007, 11:39 AM
You are forgetting you have a different scale and different gauge strings.

sinan90
11-01-2007, 11:47 AM
You are forgetting you have a different scale and different gauge strings.

That would give a different timbre, the pitch should be exactly the same.

watchingmefall
11-01-2007, 11:53 AM
That would give a different timbre, the pitch should be exactly the same.
The pitch is the same, he is asking why it doesn't sound exactly the same. 12 fret on E string on bass and open E on guitar. He is asking why those don't sound the same if they are the same pitch. Or am I going nuts?

sinan90
11-01-2007, 12:01 PM
The pitch is the same, he is asking why it doesn't sound exactly the same. 12 fret on E string on bass and open E on guitar. He is asking why those don't sound the same if they are the same pitch. Or am I going nuts?

He said: MY e on te a-string doesn't sound as high as the e-string on a guitar.

Ie not the same pitch.

watchingmefall
11-01-2007, 12:04 PM

Ie not the same pitch.
Ohh, I must have read wrong. Crap.

sidious
11-01-2007, 12:05 PM

Ie not the same pitch.

... yes, make fun of the foreigner :mad: