Best bass on the market?

PDA

View Full Version : Best bass on the market?

Fragmented
11-02-2007, 01:08 PM
I'm planning on buying a new bass and I'm wondering what the best bass is to get.

Any suggestions and maybe pictures you could show me?

Thanks.

Jonnomainman
11-02-2007, 01:10 PM
Best is always relative.

We need more information like your price range, the genres you will be playing also any more stuff.

The more information the better we can be at giving your "ideal" bass.

My personal favourite is a EBMM Stingray.

Fragmented
11-02-2007, 01:46 PM
Well I calculate in Swiss Francs (CHF) so it's quite hard to say price ranges. Pounds and/or Euro's are also okay if you post them as price. My range is from let's say 200 - 600 Euro's maximum.

By the way, do you mean this EBMM Stingray:

http://www.act1music.com/EBMM_SR4_HSC_RW_VinBrst_frn.jpg

?

Jonnomainman
11-02-2007, 02:19 PM
Theres a great website called www.thomann.de it's german but there should be something for swiss francs.

Yeah thats the bass im on about.

Not all basses will be good at all genres so which genre do you like?

Typically the Stingray is good for poppunk/ska/even funk.

anarkee
11-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Have you gone to a shop yet and looked at any basses or tried any out? This would give you a set of basses to come back with specific questions on. Your price range has quite a few options, and you don't mention whether you need an amp as well. So the type of questions you should be thinking about at this point are:

1. What kind of music do you want to play?
2. Are you looking for a starter bass? Or is this going to be an upgrade?
3. Are you looking to gig or just learn / practice at this point?

This will go a long way to frame your decision and let you walk into a music store or come back to the forums and get answers that will bring you nearer to a bass that will fit your own needs.

Fragmented
11-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Regarding your questions (thanks, they help):

1. Mostly punk rock I suppose.
2. This is going to be an upgrade, not a starter.
3. To start off with practice because I haven't played in quite a while and eventually playing gigs.

anarkee
11-02-2007, 03:39 PM
Having come up through the first punk generation, I may have a slightly different spin on this than some others on the site. But for what its worth, here are my two cents, pence etc....

To me, a Precision Bass = Punk. It was the bass of choice in two of the bands I played in (I was the rhythm guitarist at the time)., and of many of the bass players who helped create the classic punk sound. However, a Stingray or a Ric could work as well, but you're talking some significant cash outlay then.

If you don't have an amp (and don't even THINK of using your guitar amp, btw), make sure you lay aside a bit of cash for a good practice amp (Peavey, Fender, Crate, Hartke....) as well.

gm jack
11-02-2007, 03:43 PM
There is no best bass, as feel and tone are all relative.

One mans pet hate is anothers perfect tone. Try out for yourself, see which you like the feel and tone of. thne, come to use with suggestions of what you liked to play, and we may be able to comment effectivly and offer more ideas.

Heilz
11-02-2007, 08:51 PM
Just go and buy one you feel confortable with and you like the tone, this is the exact reason why they exists various types of bass, theres never a best one until they make one that can switch its pickup types just with a button...

TheBassMan3
11-02-2007, 09:17 PM
Best is always relative.

We need more information like your price range, the genres you will be playing also any more stuff.

The more information the better we can be at giving your "ideal" bass.

My personal favourite is a EBMM Stingray.

Well...the EBMM STERLING is better lolz

Fragmented
11-03-2007, 06:55 AM
Having come up through the first punk generation, I may have a slightly different spin on this than some others on the site. But for what its worth, here are my two cents, pence etc....

To me, a Precision Bass = Punk. It was the bass of choice in two of the bands I played in (I was the rhythm guitarist at the time)., and of many of the bass players who helped create the classic punk sound. However, a Stingray or a Ric could work as well, but you're talking some significant cash outlay then.

If you don't have an amp (and don't even THINK of using your guitar amp, btw), make sure you lay aside a bit of cash for a good practice amp (Peavey, Fender, Crate, Hartke....) as well.

These are all very good tips, thank you indeed. I'll go to a store and check out the Stingray and Ric and see which one I like best. Then I'll go seek out for an amp etc.

Jonnomainman
11-03-2007, 07:10 AM
Bare in mind the Stingray and Ric will cost you well over 1500euros.

mountaindew88
11-03-2007, 09:39 AM
best bass? Ritter, Fodera, Digwall, Warwick, Fender Custom Shop, take your pick.

sammcl-15
11-03-2007, 10:48 AM
You could get a Mexican P-Bass for that much or an Olp HH stingray.

83lespaulstudio
11-03-2007, 11:30 AM
Anarkee's advice is right on. to me, Punk=P bass. the Stinger is a fine bass, also.
the Ric's are an aquired taste, too mid-ranged for me, although they play like a dream. i, myself am a "dyed in the wool", Jazz bass man. imo it effectivly covers any genre. so get out there and find "your", best bass. let us know what you decide.
good luck! :cool:

RidicuLousbass
11-03-2007, 02:38 PM
BC rich mockingbird
neckthru, active EQ, looks sexy, humbucking p pickups
600$

Charlatan_001
11-03-2007, 11:33 PM
i, myself am a "dyed in the wool", Jazz bass man. imo it effectivly covers any genre.

So very true - everyone from country artists to metal bands use them.

And to the guy who suggested the Mockingbird... how the hell are the split coils humbucking? Those are two different pickups...

thefitz
11-04-2007, 12:30 AM
And to the guy who suggested the Mockingbird... how the hell are the split coils humbucking? Those are two different pickups...
Split coils are totally humbucking. Traditional humbuckers involve taking 2 single coil pickups and winding them in a certain way where it cancels out 60-cycle hum. They end up cancelling out a bunch of other things - which is why I think there's less detail in jazz pickups both on full or humbuckers.

A split coil is the same thing - but instead of crosswinding two single coils, you crosswire the halves of a single coil. Make sense?

Charlatan_001
11-04-2007, 03:43 AM
Split coils are totally humbucking. Traditional humbuckers involve taking 2 single coil pickups and winding them in a certain way where it cancels out 60-cycle hum. They end up cancelling out a bunch of other things - which is why I think there's less detail in jazz pickups both on full or humbuckers.

A split coil is the same thing - but instead of crosswinding two single coils, you crosswire the halves of a single coil. Make sense?

Yeah, that makes a lot of sense.

To be honest, looking back at my post, I don't even really know what I was trying to get at, now I feel like an idiot. Oh well.

Fragmented
11-04-2007, 09:20 AM
BC rich mockingbird
neckthru, active EQ, looks sexy, humbucking p pickups
600$

600$? That's not too cheap, I'll have a look at it.

IndianRockStar
11-04-2007, 12:09 PM
P bass should do fine. Though I'm a Jazz man myself. A MIM is around 400$ here, so it should be SOMEWHERE close to your price range.

SocKo?
11-04-2007, 09:44 PM
guys, 600 euros is 870 USD.

i recommend the fender highway one p-bass. its 800 off the internet so its just under you max, which should cover shipping and some accessories.

if you don't wanna push your limit i'd suggest the mike dirnt signature p-bass or fender aerodyne p-bass special, both priced at 700USD.