THE perfect love song chord progression.

PDA

View Full Version : THE perfect love song chord progression.

Pedalboard
11-02-2007, 11:17 PM
So, I'm trying to write this song about a girl but i can't seem to figure out a nice, melodic progression. I've tried every form of the C Major-> Am and played around with chords from there but every time i try it, it always sounds like I'm just recycling one of many Damien Rice songs (a big influence in my music). So my question is what it a very calm, peaceful chord progression that you've used or think would sound good in this kind of song?

shpangler
11-02-2007, 11:23 PM
hmm, while I don't know a specific chord progression, don't forget the K.I.S.S method (keep it simple...stupid) It doesn't have to be a really interesting chord layout to make the girl like the song (if that's what you want.) If it's a song about a girl, the lyrics are probably the most important part, and so your audience will likely focus on that aspect more.

Mr.McAwesom2112
11-02-2007, 11:28 PM
hmm, while I don't know a specific chord progression, don't forget the K.I.S.S method (keep it simple...stupid) It doesn't have to be a really interesting chord layout to make the girl like the song (if that's what you want.) If it's a song about a girl, the lyrics are probably the most important part, and so your audience will likely focus on that aspect more.

Very true. Unless she actually plays, she won't care as long as it sounds cute. Try to cry a little afterwards. Tune to standard D, chords sound better for some reason...

newaccount
11-02-2007, 11:33 PM
I like C Am F G

demonofthenight
11-03-2007, 12:08 AM
Recycling the chord progressions of songs that are what you want it to sound like is normally the best way. Not too many songs have original chord progressions.

Personally I'd suggest any chord progresion that doesnt contain the dominant chord. I just think it sounds too out of place in a love song. So if you want your song to resolve on a major chord, have the sub-dominant chord (IV) as your last chord (or second last if your I chord isn't first), as this will resolve best to the I chord without using the dominant chord.

But remember you dont have to have your song resolving on the I chord. Its just the most consonant chord, so it sounds best when resolving a pre-dominantly major progression.

I'd also suggest a couple of minor chords, most probably ii or vi, and maybe iii if you wanted a more sexy, exotic sounding chord progression (because the iii chord uses the phrygian mode, and that b2 creates a lot of exotic dissonance).

just my 2 cents :D

SinisterShadows
07-21-2009, 10:52 PM
I like C Am F G

if you take that chord progression and turn it into four note arpeggios it actually sounds really cool.
It should look like this

C Am F G
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
------------1----------------------1-------------------------------------------------|
---------0-----0---------------2-----2----------------2------------------0--------|
------2-----------2---------2-----------2----------3----3-------------0----0-----|
---3----------------------0-----------------------3---------3--------2---------2--|
-------------------------------------------------1------------------3----------------|

Blind In 1 Ear
07-21-2009, 11:02 PM
so you want me to reveal my progression secrets to you? never!

theres nothing wrong with using other progressions. its all been done my friend. try putting two progressions you know together so you can have a bridge. i find major and minor 7th chords sound nice and sweet for love songs. try using chords that have some open strings or notes you can substitute with open strings. i find they give a nice ringing, "sparkley" sound to them that sound nice.

Anesthetica
07-21-2009, 11:10 PM
this thread died 2 years ago

Zep_shizzle
07-22-2009, 01:27 AM
lmao
^^^
thats true lol

20Tigers
07-22-2009, 01:34 AM
if you take that chord progression and turn it into four note arpeggios it actually sounds really cool.
It should look like this

C Am F G
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------|
------------1----------------------1-------------------------------------------------|
---------0-----0---------------2-----2----------------2------------------0--------|
------2-----------2---------2-----------2----------3----3-------------0----0-----|
---3----------------------0-----------------------3---------3--------2---------2--|
-------------------------------------------------1------------------3----------------|
When played in straight 6/8 time does it remind you of something from the 50's?

JAZZ_MAN919
07-22-2009, 03:14 AM
how about a 1 6 2 5 1?
in other words Fmaj7, Dmin7, Gmin7, C7

Solid S/hit
07-22-2009, 05:45 AM
Go play some of your old computer games, find a theme or bit of music in one of them that sounds good
rip it off on guitar and put some lyrics over it that suite the melody.

Oh and do some 2 string arpeggios and 3 note per string major scale shreds and have that as the solo

werty22
07-22-2009, 11:32 AM
When played in straight 6/8 time does it remind you of something from the 50's?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/50s_Progression

Huge cliche for '50s pop.

GuitarMunky
07-22-2009, 11:54 AM
So, I'm trying to write this song about a girl but i can't seem to figure out a nice, melodic progression. I've tried every form of the C Major-> Am and played around with chords from there but every time i try it, it always sounds like I'm just recycling one of many Damien Rice songs (a big influence in my music). So my question is what it a very calm, peaceful chord progression that you've used or think would sound good in this kind of song?

If you can't find it, you probably shouldn't write it. I mean that's the whole point of writing something.... to express yourself.

Why don't you sit down with your guitar and play some chords, and decide for yourself what's appropriate.

Or get some experience and develop some skills so that when you feel the need to express yourself on the guitar, you're able to do so.