David Gilmour ethereal slide sound... how?

PDA

View Full Version : David Gilmour ethereal slide sound... how?

CousticStrangla
11-09-2007, 03:27 PM
How do I get that cool spacey slide like sound Gilmour uses on songs like Breath and others on Dark Side? I've heard it used by a few other guitarists, they like slide but it has this really ethereal echo like sound to it. What kind of pedal/effects do I use?

Speak To Me/Breath, 1:31 you hear Gilmour play the slide guitar. What gives him that tone?

Guitar_Joe
11-09-2007, 03:30 PM
im not a pink floyd expert so i could easily be wrong but maybe he's using a lap steel i know he does on high hopes for the slide solo. But then again im no lap steel expert either so i have no idea if thats the sound your describing not that they sound that much different from guitar anywho im just waffling.
good luck with ya quest for sound

Kayfan
11-09-2007, 03:37 PM
I believe that sound comes from chaining echo reverbs and delays together

reverb > delay > echo > delay > phaser > delay

I think...

Donka
11-09-2007, 03:38 PM
Use LOADS of delay, some compression, a Uni-Vibe (or a slow but deep phaser).
Visit www.gilmourish.com for more info on David Gilmour.

Calgone
11-09-2007, 03:43 PM
Yeah. It's a lot of delay and reverb.

theshroomman
11-09-2007, 03:44 PM
there is an article on david gilmor on UG about his solo work in the 80s, covers alot of his tech and equip but nothing about slides.

also, high hopes uses a lap steel, along with breathe(there is a live edition of high hopes, youtube it)this i am sure of, it is not a guitar.

syd barrett(1st frontman of floyd) used a zippo lighter to get some strange sounds

other than that, if gilmore or waters has used a slide on guitar, i cannot recall which song

hope that helps

theshroomman
11-09-2007, 03:47 PM
Use LOADS of delay, some compression, a Uni-Vibe (or a slow but deep phaser).
Visit www.gilmourish.com for more info on David Gilmour.
nice, i havent seen this site before :D

Tackleberry
11-09-2007, 07:46 PM
I saw him in an old video he had the guitar laying on the ground and had the slide almost up against the bridge. And on one of these days he does use a pedal steel like the country guys use. Different kinds of materials for the slide will make a difference. Glass, steel, brass, etc.

CousticStrangla
11-09-2007, 10:01 PM
What's the diff between delay and echo?

Paleo Pete
11-10-2007, 01:29 AM
I saw him in an old video he had the guitar laying on the ground and had the slide almost up against the bridge.

Pink Floyd at Pompeii, black strat, the song was Echoes.

I have Delicate Sound of Thunder on VHS, he uses a red Jedson lap steel mounted on a stand for "One of These Days." To get close to the sound you're after you'll also need to try out the tunings Gilmour uses, that has a lot to do with it. One of these Days used EBEGBE. other tunes used DGDGBE. I like that E tuning, I've tinkered with it some and it's not hard at all to get Floydish with it, keep it slow and melodic and it just jumps out at you. Some delay and a distortion pedal and it can sound great.

CousticStrangla
11-10-2007, 05:31 PM
Speak To Me/Breath, 1:31 you hear Gilmour play the slide guitar. What gives him that tone?

It's also in the beginning of The Great Gig In The Sky as well

Wulver
11-10-2007, 05:46 PM
odds are that's just a fair bit of extra reverb added to a normal pedal steel guitar. play that same part in a large-ish room, you'll get a similar effect.

theshroomman
11-12-2007, 05:23 AM
What's the diff between delay and echo?
delay= note comes out a bit later than when you played it
echo= repeats note and fades

Wulver
11-12-2007, 06:29 PM
delay= note comes out a bit later than when you played it
echo= repeats note and fades

Well, yeah, but they're almost one and the same as far as music goes.

If you want to emulate Gilmour, you'll need either an authentic tape delay machine, or a digital delay with a treble cutoff.