Epiphone Les Paul Tuner replacement

PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Les Paul Tuner replacement

apmaman
11-11-2007, 03:58 PM
Hey folks. My epiphone LP wont stay in tune and I suspect its the tuners. I've had it in a shop to replace a nut and it didnt do anything.

What are the best locking tuners I can get that will fit my epiphone? or will it matter what brand?
It currently has Grover kidney bean ones installed.

Thanks chaps/chapesses

FRDesign
11-11-2007, 03:59 PM
I found that Epiphone tuners just are awful.

hendriko
11-11-2007, 04:00 PM
get grover loking tuners...the ones that look just like the ones you have now

Axecutioner
11-11-2007, 04:20 PM
Thats weird that they go out of tune so fast. I have standard grovers on some LP copies and they stay in tune pretty well. But yeah I would just go look for a set of 3x3 locking Grovers, then you shouldn't have any problems swapping them out.

forsaknazrael
11-11-2007, 04:50 PM
Try doing this, first:
http://www.stringthis.com/howtostringu.html

A lot of tuning instability stems from improper stringing technique.

BrianApocalypse
11-11-2007, 06:47 PM
My Epi's stock tuners are pretty damn good. second best tuners I've ever had (I have sperzel's on my jag)

That said, they are Grovers.

Do not all epi's come with grovers?

RadioMuse
11-11-2007, 06:57 PM
My Epi's stock tuners are pretty damn good. second best tuners I've ever had (I have sperzel's on my jag)

That said, they are Grovers.

Do not all epi's come with grovers?

Not all epi's have grovers. I think they used to back with Samick was contracted to make all the Epiphones (now they just make the Epi acoustics and basses) but on all but the higher end or "custom" models they usually have some off-brand look-alikes that aren't much good for anything.

BrianApocalypse
11-11-2007, 06:59 PM
:cheers:

BlackBeautyBoy
11-12-2007, 06:53 PM
My Epi les has grovers and there awsome, but my sg junior doesnt, they need replacing.

apmaman
11-12-2007, 06:59 PM
Cheers people. Ill look for some locking grovers and while im at it ill get a completely new nut too.

Are tuners easy to replace? or is it a delicate operation

apmaman
11-24-2007, 04:59 PM
well got myself some schaller locking tuners. My first time in a GC and it was great, guys in there are really helpful and I would go back there if it wasnt for the fact that I live in Scotland and not pensacola =p

ML_Guitar09
11-24-2007, 06:42 PM
well got myself some schaller locking tuners. My first time in a GC and it was great, guys in there are really helpful and I would go back there if it wasnt for the fact that I live in Scotland and not pensacola =p
It's pretty easy, I don't have any experiance with Grovers, but at the most you may need to drill a couple holes. AT the least you just unscrew the old ones and screw in the new.

Edit: quoted wrong post. Did you install the schallers yet? I have some on my strat and they work like a charm.

apmaman
11-24-2007, 08:01 PM
It's pretty easy, I don't have any experiance with Grovers, but at the most you may need to drill a couple holes. AT the least you just unscrew the old ones and screw in the new.

Edit: quoted wrong post. Did you install the schallers yet? I have some on my strat and they work like a charm.

nah not yet, my guitars in my house... which is in Scotland and im here in the states. I'll repost in here when they get installed.