Cars enslave us rather than liberate us.

PDA

View Full Version : Cars enslave us rather than liberate us.

Virtuoso883
11-12-2007, 09:38 AM
I mean sure the car gives us many liberties like going where we want(locally) and whenever we want but it's also very restrictive becouse it costs a lot of money to buy and maintain making public transport more convenient financially.

Discuss what are your thoughts?

Jackolas
11-12-2007, 09:39 AM
I feel sorry for the inane 9 to 5ers who get up, get into the car, get stuck in the car, get to work, get stuck in work, get back in the car, get stuck in the car again, get home, watch generic crap on tv, sleep.

Repeat.

Wow, that wasn't very positive.

Seriously though, some people in my road, I never, ever ever, see leave anywhere on foot. Ever. Infact I don't see people doing a whole lot of anything, but when they do, it's rarely walking. Britain's becoming like a little Americana.

I am not some sort of anti car fiend. It's just I walk 4 to 5 miles every day, alot of people barely walk 5 minutes. It's not right for anyone, and the roads here (excluding the M's and certain A roads) are designed on Victorian infrastructure, no wonder they can't take the strain.

Deadmen
11-12-2007, 09:39 AM
Iexpress my thughts that you are illogical, cars lets us go faster to places, I can go anywhere faster in cars. So what if they cost more than publc transport? We're not talking about that, we're talking about cars,.

This is stupid.

etherealprince
11-12-2007, 09:41 AM
I love my car. I love driving and the freedom I feel with the wind in my hair and my sound system thumping along.

You can keep your mass transit.

The_Seventh_Sin
11-12-2007, 09:42 AM
i see where you're coming from
and agree that people today are too reliant on cars

but if everyone used public transportation the demand on it would go up, thus the price would go up on it

metacarpi
11-12-2007, 09:44 AM
I mean sure the car gives us many liberties like going where we want(locally) and whenever we want but it's also very restrictive becouse it costs a lot of money to buy and maintain making public transport more convenient financially.

I call B.S.

Okay, so cars are fairly expensive, but as soon as you start a fairly decent job, the cost is easily managable.

You don't really say why cars "enslave" us. You basically say you like public transport because it's cheap. That's fair enough, but it's restrictive because you have to go by the prescribed routes and at the determined time.

So in the same way you say that cars "enslave" us. I have already formed an equally "valid" arguement as to how public transport "enslaves" us.

Oh, and locally? I travelled to Oxford this weekend from Derby (UK). That's about 110 miles one way. I'd hardly call that local!

Stuart90
11-12-2007, 09:45 AM
Also the price goes up and longer waits to get on the transports and no one likes to be stuck in a long line for 30 minutes when by your own car it could only take 15 minutes.

Velvet_Craig
11-12-2007, 09:46 AM
I can't wait to get a car, I;m getting an old Mini. I need to learn to drive first, however. :(

Virtuoso883
11-12-2007, 09:47 AM
It isn't very convenient though to have car trouble in the middle of the road, might waste you alot of time, with public transport you are quite safe from that problem.
To the seventh sin prices would not go up if public transport were owned by the state as it is in my country, on the contrary rise of demand makes more profit for the goverment and thus they would not have to rise prices since costs and expenses do not rise as much. The country is already subsidizing public transport to promote a cleaner enviroment

metacarpi
11-12-2007, 09:50 AM
To promote a cleaner environment?

Too bad man kinds contribution to CO2 in the atmosphere is currently around 2%, with the majority coming from rotting flora and fauna, and the biggest contributor being the ocean. Reducing the 2% we contribute will change a whole lot of **** all.

Oh, and your just as likely to have the bus break down. So how can you use that as an arguement for public transport?

Velvet_Craig
11-12-2007, 09:51 AM
If we had a better public transport system, I think more people would use their cars less, mostly for supermarket shopping and longer journeys. As it is, it's expensive and inconvenient to get public transport anywhere, I mean, it would cost me 1.20 to get from my house to the town centre on the bus and it's a five minute journey, and they are often full of kids playing music on their mobile phones.

Virtuoso883
11-12-2007, 09:57 AM
To promote a cleaner environment?

Too bad man kinds contribution to CO2 in the atmosphere is currently around 2%, with the majority coming from rotting flora and fauna, and the biggest contributor being the ocean. Reducing the 2% we contribute will change a whole lot of **** all.

Oh, and your just as likely to have the bus break down. So how can you use that as an arguement for public transport?
In a congested are public transport does a lot of difference especially in a small country like malta. And public transport neve breaks down they are quite endurable machines, it is unheard of that a bus breaks down over here at least

metacarpi
11-12-2007, 10:01 AM
Yeah, but it's also unheard of for my car to break down. It's never happened to me yet.

And fair enough that with less cars and more public transport there would be less congestion, but that's not always down to there being more car drivers.

In the UK they are foreve reducing road width by including bus lanes etc. These lanes are use maybe 4 times an hour, and the buses using them are practically empty. This means that there is less road for the cars to use, for pretty much no reason. Also, the abundance of unecessary traffic lights and one way systems mean that you can't actually drive your car, so much as move it to a set of stops.

Virtuoso883
11-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Okay thanks for all the opinions, you just gave me all the planning ideas to finish that 600 word essay :D

ctb
11-12-2007, 10:06 AM
Keeping on-topic, did anyone watch Top Gear last night? 3 people had a challenge to get to an airport.

One took a car, one took a speedboat, one took a tube and the other guy took his bicycle.

The bicycle won lol. I've never learnt to ride a bike, I'm still thinking about driving lessons, but at the moment I'm perfectly happy with public transport.

EDIT: The race was in London, so there's bound to be heck loads of traffic. There are lots of stupid drivers about who like to go faster and do dangerous things. I wouldn't feel safe about driving personally after looking at all the reckless drivers.

wiggy1988
11-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Iexpress my thughts that you are illogical, cars lets us go faster to places, I can go anywhere faster in cars. So what if they cost more than publc transport? We're not talking about that, we're talking about cars,.

This is stupid.

motorbikes are better. Means I get to laugh at people in cars, stuck in traffic :D

metacarpi
11-12-2007, 10:08 AM
Okay thanks for all the opinions, you just gave me all the planning ideas to finish that 600 word essay :D

Glad my inane ranting helped!

:D

Snakexe
11-12-2007, 10:09 AM
Public transport is goddamn awful. Expensive, overcrowded, usually late, always at the most inconvenient time. Cars are excellent.

metacarpi
11-12-2007, 10:17 AM
motorbikes are better. Means I get to laugh at people in cars, stuck in traffic :D

And I get to laugh at motorcyclists when its freezing cold and pissing down with rain and I'm in my toasty war car, dry as anything.

I also get to laugh when motorcyclists perform amazing acrobatic jumps because they think they can wind through traffic like anything..... then BAM!

wiggy1988
11-12-2007, 10:22 AM
And I get to laugh at motorcyclists when its freezing cold and pissing down with rain and I'm in my toasty war car, dry as anything.

I also get to laugh when motorcyclists perform amazing acrobatic jumps because they think they can wind through traffic like anything..... then BAM!

1) thats why we have such a thing as a coat, waterproof trousers and gloves
2)never crashed in my life doing that

other benefits

1)motorbikes look cooler
2)ladies love em
3)free parking :D

I mean dude look at them!

http://www.motorcycleworldwide.co.uk/communities/004/005/993/782/images/4515203987.jpg

The_Seventh_Sin
11-12-2007, 10:25 AM
lol, damn you Virtuoso883 for ussing us!

jk, glad to help

feenxfire
11-12-2007, 10:36 AM
The only reason vehicles become a burden is when the gov't has something to do with it. We get so used to being able to drive everywhere and then this stupid body comes in and tells us it's a fuckin PRIVILEGE?!? No...It's a right. They control us that way. Taking away our rights....that's the bad thing about cars...

BadgeMan
11-12-2007, 11:48 AM
I mean dude look at them!

http://www.motorcycleworldwide.co.uk/communities/004/005/993/782/images/4515203987.jpg

I mean dude look at THIS!

http://carsinthefastlane.com/wp-content/uploads/2007/06/mazda_rx7.jpg

Rankles
11-12-2007, 12:01 PM
The only reason vehicles become a burden is when the gov't has something to do with it. We get so used to being able to drive everywhere and then this stupid body comes in and tells us it's a fuckin PRIVILEGE?!? No...It's a right. They control us that way. Taking away our rights....that's the bad thing about cars...

No... it's a privilege.

Human rights don't extend to modern technology. Tell that to people in third world countries, do they have a human right to be able to have access to cars? No, they can't afford it and they have more important rights to put first such as food and water.

Anyway, public transport is so expensive these days that for any short or medium journey it's cheaper and quicker to drive. Long journey's should be done by train or plane but for now, paying about 2.00 in petrol to get me somewhere that would cost me 5.00 on buses and trams for five times the length of time seems like a sweet deal.

Raziel2p
11-12-2007, 12:02 PM

People choose to let things enslave them. They have the liberty (and money) to do so...