Ska Guitar Sound

PDA

View Full Version : Ska Guitar Sound

zombie_monster
11-18-2007, 08:49 PM
How do I get the sound that bands such as streetlight manifesto and Reel Big Fish get on the guitar? I've tried many things but the sound still sounds too full when I play. (yes I've been playing on the 4 highest strings).

And please no "third wave ska is garbage two tone is the best". I happen to enjoy third wave, whereas you enjoy 1st and 2nd.

bananasislegend
11-18-2007, 08:50 PM
try cranking the mids

Guitar_Joe
11-18-2007, 08:51 PM
bridge pickup n roll off the volume a bit maybe (if you arent already)

stradivari310
11-18-2007, 08:58 PM
lots of tone?

zombie_monster
11-18-2007, 09:07 PM
bridge pickup n roll off the volume a bit maybe (if you arent already)

Can you please explain what you mean by rolling off the volume?

I took off the two lower strings and that helped a little
so I guess I was hitting the lower strings. It's not the way I want it.

As of now the settings are

middle and treble: 100
bass: 65
JC Clean
Bridge pickup: 10

yeahyeah
11-18-2007, 09:13 PM
Are you doing upstrokes? And make sure that you are killing the notes as quickly as possible by lifting your left hand and muting with your right hand.

werty22
11-18-2007, 10:39 PM
What kind of guitar do you have?

zombie_monster
11-19-2007, 12:17 AM
What kind of guitar do you have?

epiphone les paul

And to post above, yes, I'm doing all upstrokes and killing the notes quickly.

werty22
11-19-2007, 01:30 AM
Are you using the bridge pickup? That would probably help, though it's a lot easier to get a ska sound with single-coils.

fcktheD
11-19-2007, 02:12 AM
Can you please explain what you mean by rolling off the volume?

I took off the two lower strings and that helped a little
so I guess I was hitting the lower strings. It's not the way I want it.

As of now the settings are

middle and treble: 100
bass: 65
JC Clean
Bridge pickup: 10

turn bass down a little and mid too
on my amp i turn treble to like 7 or 8
mid to 5
andbass to like 3

original=punk
11-19-2007, 08:22 AM
ah hell, i'll say it. the age of the ska doesn't matter, 3rd wave or not, those bands are still a mockery of what was once a respectable musical genre.

****ing white people honestly, i'm so embarassed, we stole jazz, blues, folk, and ska.

if you want a ska/punk sound, because that is what you are looking for, just a crystal clear clean tone on your clean channel, then annoying modern punk distortion on your gain channnel.

BrianApocalypse
11-19-2007, 09:23 AM
third wave ska is garbage two tone is the best.

Sorry, I'd use lots of highs, mids and lows, and use a bit of chorus.

But not a chorus effect that adds a vintage tint, because we're doing third wave ska here.

Which is garbage two tone is the best.

BrianApocalypse
11-19-2007, 09:37 AM
****ing white people honestly, i'm so embarassed, we stole jazz, blues, folk, and ska.

Sorry. You're 75% innaccurate and I'm gonna hafta correct you.

Whites did not steal jazz, blues or folk.

1.) Jazz was a musical idea that took elements of Black musical diaspora and fused this with the principles of classical music. While early Jazz was predominantly played by black musicians, it was as much European in design as it was African. It is as white as it is black.

2.) Blues emerged from black spirituals, black work songs, white work songs, hispanic american music and white european folk. Its origins are not solely black.

3.) Folk is white music. Folklore and its songs, although at this time unrefined, is as old as the Celtic peoples of Ancient Europe. The minstrels of Wessex were drinking ale and singing long before black people were sold by their own kind and sent to work on plantations.

ss311
11-19-2007, 10:31 AM
You haven't told us what amp or guitar you're using, so this isn't going to get much of a response until you do.

Chaise Boogie
11-19-2007, 01:39 PM
I don't understand what bands majority of the ska fans here like, you all critisize everything.

Ska Wars
11-19-2007, 04:45 PM
I don't understand what bands majority of the ska fans here like, you all critisize everything.
haven't you heard? it's uncool to like third wave nowadays :rolleyes:

neidnarb11890
11-19-2007, 04:50 PM
When I wanna jam to some ska, I usually set my amp so it looks like dis:
Clean channel
Overdrive: 0
Bass: 4-ish
Mid: around 6-7
Treble: 10

I usually hit all 6 strings, and it sounds fine like that. Just make sure you're using the bridge pickup, like someone already said.

StreetLight3989
11-19-2007, 04:55 PM
I think the ska sound is more the way you play it then the gear settings. Just make sure it's on a clean channel and you should be fine.

vlp_dope
11-19-2007, 11:14 PM
I think the ska sound is more the way you play it then the gear settings. Just make sure it's on a clean channel and you should be fine.
exactly.

i can make ska sound good on whatever equipment i have.

IlikeTheSKA
11-19-2007, 11:27 PM
Drop D tuning, one step down.

Mega-distortion.

Only play the bottom 3 strings.

Oh, wait

zombie_monster
11-19-2007, 11:39 PM
Woah, I thought this thread was long dead.

But yeah, I have a epiphone les paul, 200 watt marshall, and a boss GT-8 Effects Peddle Board.

yeahyeah
11-19-2007, 11:53 PM
I'm gonna agree with StreetLight3989 and vlp dope then, it's probably a playing style issue over gear/settings. From what I've heard RBF and SM both have pretty thick tones anyway

Chaise Boogie
11-20-2007, 02:25 AM
haven't you heard? it's uncool to like third wave nowadays :rolleyes:

I can't stand most 2nd wave and all of 1st wave. I respect it, but do not like it.

Ofcourse, give me a choice between 1st wave and rap, I'll always go ska.

yeahyeah
11-20-2007, 02:31 AM
3rd wave isn't my thing but I'm trying to lay off the bashing. I'm realizing how lame it is for us to pretend like one wave is factually better than another.

recklessnick
11-20-2007, 02:47 AM
is there something like a pedal to change the eq settings of my amp/guitar? cos my band plays ska-core and i like the bassy, metallic sound, but when i play a ska part, it doesnt sound nice with bass 8.

original=punk
11-20-2007, 08:31 AM
Sorry. You're 75% innaccurate and I'm gonna hafta correct you.

Whites did not steal jazz, blues or folk.

1.) Jazz was a musical idea that took elements of Black musical diaspora and fused this with the principles of classical music. While early Jazz was predominantly played by black musicians, it was as much European in design as it was African. It is as white as it is black.

2.) Blues emerged from black spirituals, black work songs, white work songs, hispanic american music and white european folk. Its origins are not solely black.

3.) Folk is white music. Folklore and its songs, although at this time unrefined, is as old as the Celtic peoples of Ancient Europe. The minstrels of Wessex were drinking ale and singing long before black people were sold by their own kind and sent to work on plantations.

we did steal rock n roll. come on, you can't ignore that, elvis was a ****.

werty22
11-20-2007, 10:45 PM
is there something like a pedal to change the eq settings of my amp/guitar? cos my band plays ska-core and i like the bassy, metallic sound, but when i play a ska part, it doesnt sound nice with bass 8.

EQ pedal.

Rudy Burns
06-17-2008, 07:31 PM
You say you got an epiphone LP... The trick to getting the sound is....

Set your 3way to center, so you get the twang of the bridge but the full tone of the neck but roll off the volume a little on the neck, or when you switch to OD/Crunch channel, it'll sound "muddy" Set up your EQ as Treble 9, Mids 7, Bass 6. This should give you a rough sound similar...!

As for the whole 3rd wave VS Two Tone VS 1st Wave... if you're a ska fan, it doesn't matter what wave it came from... the whole idea of ska is a sense of community and unity.
I say lets merge the waves into one, and start a new 4th wave of ska... where the devide doesnt exsist, and bring unity back!

billiejoetim
06-30-2008, 02:36 AM
I always thought you get a better ska sound out of a hollowbody guitar.

Mapexman715
12-30-2008, 12:59 AM
Honestly, being in a ska band, the best sound I've gotten clean is through a Digitech Multi-effects pedal. I have the Digitech RP-80, and what I did was take the settings from number 5 (Stock) and moved them to number 2, because number 1 gives me a nice full sounding distortion.

However, if I don't have the pedal, I crank the treble and kill the reverb. I mean no reverb at all on it.

However, the pedal works best.

crustyreed
12-30-2008, 04:23 PM
ah hell, i'll say it. the age of the ska doesn't matter, 3rd wave or not, those bands are still a mockery of what was once a respectable musical genre.

First, white people do not act collectively-or if we do why didn't I get an invite to engage in the theft of things that cannot be possessed?

and are you honestly trying to restrict certain ethnicities from playing music?
sounds kinda lame to me

EDIT: oh yeah i actually entered this thread to ask this:
So since my guitar sucks and it doesn't have control (k)nobs (?) for my pickups if i just raise my bridge slightly and lower my back pickups it will do just about the same thing right?
(this is for roots reggae or dub though)

BR0KENHEARTED
12-30-2008, 04:26 PM
I get a dreamy ska sound out of my Fender Deville. Wu Tang Clan aint nuttinta fuck wit

neidnarb11890
12-31-2008, 03:21 AM
First, white people do not act collectively-or if we do why didn't I get an invite to engage in the theft of things that cannot be possessed?

and are you honestly trying to restrict certain ethnicities from playing music?
sounds kinda lame to me

EDIT: oh yeah i actually entered this thread to ask this:
So since my guitar sucks and it doesn't have control (k)nobs (?) for my pickups if i just raise my bridge slightly and lower my back pickups it will do just about the same thing right?
(this is for roots reggae or dub though)
Jawn's actually a racist.

Oh no wait, he's a xenophobe. That's not bad, right?

crustyreed
12-31-2008, 01:30 PM
Jawn's actually a racist.

Oh no wait, he's a xenophobe. That's not bad, right?

NO of course not, because it's actually the immigrants that are causing 100% of the problems!

(Thinking without logic is fun!)