slide bass?

PDA

View Full Version : slide bass?

14shadesofblue
11-25-2007, 11:46 PM
are there any slides specialized or sound best for bass?

Deliriumbassist
11-25-2007, 11:48 PM
I wouldn't think there is. Basses are technically harder to fret than guitars, so I doubt anyone's really used a slide for it. Then again, I capo my bass sometimes, so I may be wrong.

Fuzzycows5157
11-25-2007, 11:57 PM
I play slide with my cell phone sometimes. It's sounds really bad because you hear every single fret. I wouldn't try to actually use it in a song unless I had a fretless

Confused4930
11-26-2007, 12:01 AM
Most people prefer using a fretless opposed to a slide. I've never heard of anyone playing slide bass, actually

hatebreed219
11-26-2007, 12:15 AM
Most people prefer using a fretless opposed to a slide. I've never heard of anyone playing slide bass, actually

It's funny you say that, because my friend and I were talking about slide guitar and I told him it basically sounds like a fretless guitar.

thefitz
11-26-2007, 01:45 AM
I've tried slide bass, and all you hear is metal scraping. As said before, a fretless bass is the bass equivalent of slide guitar. I've played a fretless guitar, and it sounds NOTHING like slide guitar.

hsojjosh
11-26-2007, 09:20 AM
I do it sometimes, and aside from hearing the metal, I think it sounds ok.
If you used flatwound strings you'd probably get a better sound, but you'd be better off getting a fretless unless you wanted to do something akin to country slide or lapsteel guitar.

Double Basser
11-26-2007, 09:46 AM
I've heard a lapsteel bass which i love the sound of (Betterman - John Butler Trio - Three)but i think the role of bass does not lend itself easily to being played slide. However that is to say there is something out there that would suit it but i don't think you'd find it that often.

Come to think of it Xavier Rudd plays a little slide bass on a resonator bass, sounds real nice

gm jack
11-26-2007, 11:42 AM
I wouldn't think there is. Basses are technically harder to fret than guitars, so I doubt anyone's really used a slide for it. Then again, I capo my bass sometimes, so I may be wrong.

What capo do you use?

I'm looking for one for an easy way to go between B, C, D and E standard.

hatebreed219
11-26-2007, 12:01 PM
I've tried slide bass, and all you hear is metal scraping. As said before, a fretless bass is the bass equivalent of slide guitar. I've played a fretless guitar, and it sounds NOTHING like slide guitar.

It was pretty much a shot in the dark when I said it sounds like a fretless guitar, that's how they sound in my mind at least.

UtBDan
11-26-2007, 12:18 PM

whats the point of that? I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't understand it. Do you drone really frequently or something? I just never saw the need for a capo or a slide on bass.

Seems to you can just slide on bass (not that you couldn't on guitar) but on guitar you use the slide to hold a whole chord. Seems to me on bass you don't need a capo because you can just drone back to a fret, while on guitar you'd need the cap to make it possible to play normally impossible chords (or, if you're bad at guitar, open chords in different keys.)

I'm not being rude intentionally. I'm literally wondering.

anarkee
11-26-2007, 12:37 PM
The only time I've seen a bass player use a "slide" is when I saw the Dave Matthews band a while back and Mark Lessard used one. I don't think they sound all that great.

And I have to agree with Dan, capos are just so odd in the context of playing a bass--more trouble than they are worth and unless I am missing something epic here, pointless.

gm jack
11-26-2007, 01:09 PM
And I have to agree with Dan, capos are just so odd in the context of playing a bass--more trouble than they are worth and unless I am missing something epic here, pointless.

Hysteria style bass lines, alternating between the root and other notes in the key on the same string is much easier than fretting an note and string skipping at tech death tempos.

Currently, I'm working on a song by Sylosis in D standard (well, they play dropped D but my ideas for a bass line are in D standard. It in volved increadibly rapid root note pounding of the low D punctuated by fills much higher up the neck. Sorry, I'm far to lazy to change my tuning for a song and a capo seems like an awsome way to move up from the B standard of a 5er to C, D and E standard for song where youdon't need the lower notes, but having those different open strings makes life a lot easier.

Deliriumbassist
11-26-2007, 01:16 PM
whats the point of that? I don't mean to be rude, but I just don't understand it. Do you drone really frequently or something? I just never saw the need for a capo or a slide on bass.

Seems to you can just slide on bass (not that you couldn't on guitar) but on guitar you use the slide to hold a whole chord. Seems to me on bass you don't need a capo because you can just drone back to a fret, while on guitar you'd need the cap to make it possible to play normally impossible chords (or, if you're bad at guitar, open chords in different keys.)

I'm not being rude intentionally. I'm literally wondering.

Michael Manning uses capos as well. When I want to do some top of the fretboard solo stuff, I'll throw a capo over the 12th fret. This lets me wory about the overall melody, as when I pull off, it's gonna ring the 12th fret note. I think it makes it all go so much smoother.

EDIT: It's easier than having to barre off the 12th fret and using my middle and little finger on my left hand to tap. I thought it was equally weird when I first saw it done, but I tried it and loved it.

smb
11-26-2007, 01:32 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672132
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531694

14shadesofblue
11-26-2007, 01:56 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=672132
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=531694
aight so a metal one?
i was jw b/c Mark Sandman from Morphine used a two string slide bass and i wanna try to get his sound, im gonna experiment with a fretless and a fretted to see which one sounds better

Nutter_101
11-26-2007, 05:54 PM
The only time I've seen a bass player use a "slide" is when I saw the Dave Matthews band a while back and Stefan Lessard used one. I don't think they sound all that great.
Fixed :p:

I've used a slide before. I do frequently. I use a glass slide though, not a metal one. It's got a very interesting tone, which I love. I'll post a video that shows what Tam's talking about.

Quite a quiet one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUEV45KNcXw

A better one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUEV45KNcXw

The best one was in Woodstock, but it's not on there anymore :(.

Fozzie3000
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
Capos seem rather confusing to me on a bass, plus you can normally get around it on a guitar if your good with chords and finger stretches (I have a shorter scale guitar so even some massive stretched chords are easy)

I played a lap steel once, was really hard to play so full credit to anyone who plays them well. Saw a guy play Voodoo Child on one once, awesome to say the least! x

anarkee
11-26-2007, 06:11 PM
Fixed :p:

I've used a slide before. I do frequently. I use a glass slide though, not a metal one. It's got a very interesting tone, which I love. I'll post a video that shows what Tam's talking about.

Quite a quiet one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUEV45KNcXw

A better one - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uUEV45KNcXw

The best one was in Woodstock, but it's not on there anymore :(.

Thanks Chris--I knew the videos were out there somewhere and thanks for the "edit" on the name.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of the Dave Matthews Band, so that may colour my opinion a bit. In fact, as much as I hate to admit this, I actually felt asleep during their set--it was a long festival and they came on around 1:00 am in the morning.....

Nutter_101
11-26-2007, 06:50 PM
Thanks Chris--I knew the videos were out there somewhere and thanks for the "edit" on the name.

To be honest, I am not a huge fan of the Dave Matthews Band, so that may colour my opinion a bit. In fact, as much as I hate to admit this, I actually felt asleep during their set--it was a long festival and they came on around 1:00 am in the morning.....

I'm not too sure how I'd feel about a live gig of theirs. Some of their songs are quite chilled out, almost Jack Johnson-esque, so I really like listening to some of their stuff at home, or just chilling out or something.

Some songs would be pretty good live - Ant's Marching, Tripping Billies. They aren't for everyone :p:

Darknives
10-12-2011, 01:19 PM
hey guys, didn't read the latest comments but.. com'on
You guys can't understand the need for a capo in bass??

First, I never used one but, second, it's exactly like the guitar. They use a capo to make it easier to play on different keys. But, it could all be played without a capo, it would just need a better guitarist.

Bass is just the same, if I'm playing super speed in weird keys and I want to always be changing octaves.. i would need a capo.
Not having a capo is what makes everyone always play most complicated riffs in E or A for example, so they can just "hit" the "zero" fret. With a capo, you can play it with the same ease everywhere on the neck.

Is it necessary? No, it's just like the guitar, you can use it to play stuff you wouldn't normally have the skill to.

Apart from that, this topic was about the best slide for bass, and no one even tried answering it. You just say "it's never been used" "makes no sense" "it's impossible".

YES, it has been done, quite sucesfully, just look at Morphine. There are many more examples. Don't think something doesn't exist just because you know nothing about it, it's just stupid.

And everyone, try to see music in a good and creative light. You can do awesome things with a slide and many other things on a bass, you just need creativity instead of looking at everything not ordinary as something you should not do. Music will Never evolve with people like you.

Now, can someone discuss advantages of glass, metal and ceramic sliders? I'm interested too.

technoguyx
10-12-2011, 03:23 PM
Why the necrobump? Anyway, to anyone saying capos on bass are useless:

G|-13---
D|-15---
A|------
E|-1----

One fretting hand with no capo obviously can't do that, and that's the point of using a capo, especially on bass, playing/droning open strings while you play high on the fretboard. On guitar it's usually used to play in a different key using mostly open chords.

EDIT: Whoops, missed the topic. I've tried it and it sounds really scratchy, not worth it imo. Like others said, that's what fretless basses are for anyway.