Most difficult piece in the Classical Guitar repertoire?

PDA

View Full Version : Most difficult piece in the Classical Guitar repertoire?

The Madcap
11-26-2007, 05:53 PM
Simple question: What do you think is the most difficult classical guitar piece?

Obviously, difficulty in many cases is relative, but I still would like to hear opinions.

I've heard many people (some at this webstie) say "Recuerdos De La Alhambra", but that's actually relatively easy once you master the tremolo technique.

I've also heard many people say that this version of Paganini's 24th Caprice is the most difficult:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f6mJ5G5mxvg

But to be honest, there are a few transcriptions of Bach I find more difficult, like this one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPfZVflJdp0

I was just curious what others thought. I haven't heard every Classical Guitar piece out there, but the most difficult pieces I've heard and studied (meaning I've looked at the sheet music, and fingerings) are the last two above.

toshiro umezewa
11-26-2007, 05:57 PM
flight of the wounded bumble bee

Dreadnought
11-26-2007, 05:58 PM
Well this question is dumb...

Hardest piece I have personally attempted has been the Stele suite, the 2nd and 4th movements most notably.

C.C. Deville
11-26-2007, 07:31 PM
i dont know THAT many classical guitar pieces, but from what i've seen Barrios has some pretty difficult stuff

The Madcap
11-26-2007, 07:34 PM
i dont know THAT many classical guitar pieces, but from what i've seen Barrios has some pretty difficult stuffI agree, and whenever I hear something from him, and then try to play it later, 9 out of ten times it's much harder than it looks.

C.C. Deville
11-26-2007, 08:31 PM
yeah haha i've been through that

Confusius
11-27-2007, 10:56 AM
The hardest is to play the pieces properly.

So I don't completely dodge your question I'd say Bach has some technically interesting pieces. Same would go for Barrios. I've also found that playing Renaissance music well is challenging. I love the period so it's worth the work. :p:

C.C. Deville
11-27-2007, 08:25 PM
^yeah i totally fail at trying to play anything from the lute suites ='(

Nacho Cheese!
11-27-2007, 08:32 PM
Simple question: What do you think is the most difficult classical guitar piece?

In my opinion...difficulty does not really matter.

C.C. Deville
11-27-2007, 09:49 PM
^ok, but in this thread madcap asked what the most difficult piece is so it does matter here...

Matic
11-28-2007, 12:27 AM
There are songs out there that require to master and know alot more techniques and speed, but out of the three u chose, i would have to say Paginini's 24th Caprice just because it seems like it requires to have the most technique out of the three. Although, i know theres more difficult peices.

white falcon119
11-28-2007, 12:53 AM
STAIRWAY TO HEAVEN by Ledanios Zeppelinois...YEEEHAAAA.....by the way my post has no relevence, so please ignore me and treat me as a demented monkey whos been given too much sugar and a key board.

Confusius
11-28-2007, 10:18 AM
If your post is irrelevant, refrain from making it. That's called spam and you might get warned for it in future.

;) Just looking out for you.

jimtaka
11-28-2007, 11:33 AM
^-- he already did ;)

Confusius
11-28-2007, 11:43 AM
Aw, he only just joined.

=(.

jimtaka
11-28-2007, 11:47 AM
haha, he's been around for a month. it's just a slap on the wrist anyway :) it's not like i banned him. but i mean come on, the guy even said himself that his post had no relevance.

Confusius
11-28-2007, 11:51 AM
meh, you're right.

white falcon119
11-29-2007, 01:53 AM
haha, he's been around for a month. it's just a slap on the wrist anyway :) it's not like i banned him. but i mean come on, the guy even said himself that his post had no relevance.
hah yeah man its all good, i wanted to see what they look like..and i was bored, so it worked both ways..ive been a member since november last year, but i changed my detail, so i remade my account :)...yeah just felt like being a fukwhit lol

Siara
11-29-2007, 04:55 AM
Toccata & Fugue in D minor J.S. Bach
Christmas Eve Sarajevo by TSO

At least to me they were a pain in the patootie. To one of you guys who's been plucking strings longer they might be a walk in the park.

sheumack111
11-29-2007, 05:08 AM
Its such a subjective topic, for some people one thing is easier then for others.....

Ive got a couple of Scarlatti pieces played by John Williams which sound preety hard..... My classical teacher has showed me some Motzart pieces which look preety ridiculous... And of course JS Bach

JohnPr
05-09-2011, 07:18 PM
The most difficult classical guitar piece is Brian Ferneyhough's Kurze Schatten II.

There's a sample fragment of the score available here (http://soundandmusic.org/thecollection/files/scores/6634w.pdf).

Zep_shizzle
05-09-2011, 08:47 PM
The most difficult classical guitar piece is Brian Ferneyhough's Kurze Schatten II.

There's a sample fragment of the score available here (http://soundandmusic.org/thecollection/files/scores/6634w.pdf).

if you can subdivide, that piece isnt so difficult haha.

also.

theres alot of difficult pieces out there. theres no piece thats the hardest.

isaluteyou
05-09-2011, 09:33 PM
this really is too subjective as difficulty is relevent to the person. Some techniques that are considered very advanced i find easy whereas there are some considered easy that give me issues.

But ya a lot of lute suite stuff is rather challenging. But then again even the length of a piece can be an issue. Try remembering too many bars of keys changing here there and everywhere gives me a headache LOl

XianXiuHong
05-10-2011, 05:54 AM
Well this question is dumb...

Hardest piece I have personally attempted has been the Stele suite, the 2nd and 4th movements most notably.

The 2nd and 4th movements are technically difficult but that's not the point of the suite. Phil wants to focus on tone colour more than anything in the suite. Phil's my teacher :p:. Dervish is monstrously difficult to play well though but if you stick to Phil's fingerings, you'll be fine. All of the fingerings in Stele were designed for speed.

John Williams, Karin Schaupp and Aleks Tsiboulski all tried to destroy Phil's fingerings but found his to be the best.

Hardest classical guitar piece would be hard to define but it's definitely not Barrios. He has some really difficult stuff but it's definitely not some of the hardest repertoire out there. I would put Vincent Lindsey Clark's Tarantelle up there though.

EDIT: The Allegro from BWV 998 is pretty hard to do too.

Dreadnought
05-10-2011, 10:56 AM
The 2nd and 4th movements are technically difficult but that's not the point of the suite. Phil wants to focus on tone colour more than anything in the suite. Phil's my teacher :p:. Dervish is monstrously difficult to play well though but if you stick to Phil's fingerings, you'll be fine. All of the fingerings in Stele were designed for speed.

John Williams, Karin Schaupp and Aleks Tsiboulski all tried to destroy Phil's fingerings but found his to be the best.

Hardest classical guitar piece would be hard to define but it's definitely not Barrios. He has some really difficult stuff but it's definitely not some of the hardest repertoire out there. I would put Vincent Lindsey Clark's Tarantelle up there though.

EDIT: The Allegro from BWV 998 is pretty hard to do too.

You have no idea how jealous of you I am... That has been my favorite piece for the classical guitar for yeeaaarrrrs.

EDIT: On a side note, when I was playing this piece, I stuck to his fingerings :cheers:

ChrisBW
05-10-2011, 01:47 PM
Don't know enough pieces to be knowledgeable about this stuff but I've been working on Asturias for awhile and it's pretty intense... Part of it is the speed, and part is some of the chords don't work with my hands on a classical neck.

The Madcap
05-10-2011, 09:23 PM
WOW, old thread of mine.

Anyways, I'll add that I've talked to people who know how to play the Concierto De Aranjuez, and they've told me it's one of the hardest. Especially 1st and 3rd movements. Can't say I've taken a look into it myself, though.

XianXiuHong
05-11-2011, 06:28 AM
WOW, old thread of mine.

Anyways, I'll add that I've talked to people who know how to play the Concierto De Aranjuez, and they've told me it's one of the hardest. Especially 1st and 3rd movements. Can't say I've taken a look into it myself, though.

Concierto Madrigal's harder...check out the Girardilla from it, Rodrigo was such an asshole for writing like that!