im getting a band started

PDA

View Full Version : im getting a band started

isawred
11-30-2007, 12:00 PM
ok im getting a band started but my bassist and drummer are good friends and they want to be in it for some reason. but the other day i asked them and they said yes. but i dont have a singer lined up completely yet. but does that mean that we cant start writing riffs and lyrics? or not?

take_it_t
11-30-2007, 12:01 PM
Umm, why wouldn't you be able to? (Assuming you are capable)

Vulco_Vesper
11-30-2007, 01:52 PM
Typical guitarist response.

Yes. You can start writing without a vocalist. It's probably a good idea to go ahead and do so. That way any vocalist joining the band will already have an idea of what style you play. and I'm saying this from a vocalists perspective. Though in the future it would be good to work with your vocalist to figure out what mood to write songs in so as to complement their lyrical/vocal style.

dandyhandy17
11-30-2007, 03:16 PM
Yes. U don't need vocals, I have my own band without vocals bt I'm going to start finding once I have more than 3 songs finished Fack

Vulco_Vesper
11-30-2007, 03:30 PM
It's not impossible to be completely instrumental. If you play the right style.

lolmnt
11-30-2007, 05:17 PM
You can sing until you find a singer. It might be horrible, but you might surprise yourself and be good

Sora 01
11-30-2007, 05:19 PM
just be an instrumental band and make damn good music :)

People are intrested enough in your riffs/drum beats and you make them sound different then you wont need a singer.

PurpleSpark73
12-03-2007, 08:27 PM
start with jamming with eachother and get a good rythm and sound no singer is ideal to start with a band

SSDDPunkRocker
12-03-2007, 09:01 PM
don't you mean.. "but why does it matter?"
But why are you acting like the grammar police?

Back on topic, you should really just get some simple covers down, and as element4433 said, you could try singing and you might suprise yourself.

snot_foster25
12-04-2007, 05:20 AM
^ Reported.

TS, like another guy said, if you get some riffs and chord progressions down for songs, it'll be easier to add in vocals, because the singer will know how the songs you're writing are basically going to sound, and he'll be able to add in appropriate vocals.

You three should definately jam as a band until you get a singer, assuming you want a singer, and work on writing your own stuff, it'll be good for your development, individually and as a band.

alteredgod
12-04-2007, 12:45 PM
Just get jamming first, if not to write songs but to just practice.

Baba O'Riley
12-06-2007, 02:08 AM
TS, like another guy said, if you get some riffs and chord progressions down for songs, it'll be easier to add in vocals, because the singer will know how the songs you're writing are basically going to sound, and he'll be able to add in appropriate vocals.

:cheers:

You could also write the melody on guitar as well. You don't have to sing to write the vocal part.

axemanchris
12-08-2007, 11:16 AM
Start jamming now to get a feel for each other as players and to define a style. Be prepared, though..... Reality says that bands without singers don't get gigs. (sure, there are statistical anomallies... "I know a guy in an instrumental band...." - but for every one of those, there are about 100 bands with no singer who aren't gigging.)

The songs you play, whether originals or covers, will be at the mercy of what your singer can do. If the song is out of his range or does not suit his vocal style, you shouldn't do it. So you might find yourself flushing every bloody song on your tentative set list. The singer is the key figure in the band - like it or not. A mediocre band with a great singer and a great setlist will have an audience leaving going "Wow, those guys were really good." A great band with a crappy singer trying to sing stuff outside of his comfort zone will have people leaving going "Whoa.... did they ever suck."

Finding a good singer is SO hard. If you are too focused on one kind of singer who has to do X, Y, and Z, you may eternally strike out. I spent 10 years being in bands without the singer I wanted. It sucked. (After that ten years, I - the worst singer in the world - took voice lessons and learned to do it myself) If you get a singer who is good and that you like, it will be way more rewarding to choose/write material that you like that will complement his voice. The singer will sound good, and by extension, the band will sound good. You'll get gigs, and people will come back.

CT

Junior#1
12-08-2007, 02:17 PM
Just do what I'm doing: just have someone in the band sing until you find someone with the voice you are looking for.