getting gigs =(

PDA

View Full Version : getting gigs =(

sum_ugly_man
11-30-2007, 03:50 PM
me and my buddies just started a group, we have about 4 songs all done and i have the material written for about 3 more

we have all the members now, and we need to do some gigs, no battle of the bands please, we aren't any hardcore bands, and in here only the hardcore bands can stand in the battle...that really sucks

most of our stuff are influenced by zeppelin or Hendrix, and most of them are a bit bluesy and a touch of old school spice. we do have a couple of songs a bit heavier, but not heavy metal...just progressive metal, no screamo vocals or anything for that matter

so wise ugers give me some advises on how to get gigs, btw in from canada jsut in case

Nerdo-sez-bo
11-30-2007, 03:58 PM
I'd work on some more songs if you want to gig properly.

Make sure you really know your stuff fluently, so that you could even play it without thinking.

Also, learning some more songs would mean you can mix up your set a bit at each gig, you don't want to play the same thing every night.

Don't mean to sound harsh or anything, my intentions are purely for your own good man.

sum_ugly_man
11-30-2007, 04:21 PM
lol i wrote all the songs, i can play them with my tongue(no not really) yeah we are pretty fluent, and we are willing to do like all the songs we have atm along with some covers

Skippy_McNutty
12-02-2007, 12:08 AM
If you know any other bands that play shows, see if you can get a gig with them, that's how my band got our first gig, it's in the new year, haven't played it yet.

Southeast Exit
12-02-2007, 12:11 AM
yeah, get to know other bands, and get to know people who run then venues in your area. as a friend of mine who is in a successful band said to me, "getting things in music is all about who you know and whos there"

guitaristd
12-02-2007, 10:00 AM
i was wondering about this too
me and TS are in almost the same boat except i live in alabama
we can't play in bars here cause you have to be 19 jsut to get into the bar
and our oldest band member turned 18 about a month ago
i am deffinatly gonna talk to all my friends that play music
thanks

Rascal_King
12-02-2007, 10:06 AM
Yeah, find a few bands in your area and message them on Myspace asking for a support slot. Maybe try getting a demo recording first so they can see how good/bad you are.

I don't know if you have this where you live but where I am from we have these gigs called Jam Nights and your band can go down to the bar and play a few songs and get some feedback, and if you're lucky there will be someone there who thinks you're pretty good and offer you another gig.

Good local bands always have good contacts, even if their music is rubbish their gig list is always active. :p

guitaristd
12-02-2007, 10:12 AM
dang i wish places around here did that that would be great
that's why i haven't stayed in bands very long
after we can't find anywhere to play we all found something else to do

Rascal_King
12-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Ah, if you were really dedicated you could set up your own Gig nights. Hire out a function room, a PA system, get some bands together, promote and charge 3 entry and you'll make your money back if you do it well. + you'll have yourself a gig!

guitaristd
12-02-2007, 10:24 AM
me and a friend set up a show a few years ago at his church
it was alright i guys a bunch of people showed up
i would have put more bands on the bill and not made it at a church but that's just me
i guess that's the only place we could find

C_Miller
12-02-2007, 11:32 AM
Ah, if you were really dedicated you could set up your own Gig nights. Hire out a function room, a PA system, get some bands together, promote and charge 3 entry and you'll make your money back if you do it well. + you'll have yourself a gig!

The band I work with does that. We have a local "club" (Bar) that lets us have band days there for a very little charge. We have free admission and then a donation jar and we usually make all the money back and then some. The extra money goes into the pot for the next time. But yeah, that's the best way to get people in the door. Free admission to a local place. If you can organize that, you'll surely get a big crowd.

sum_ugly_man
12-03-2007, 08:31 PM
the thing is, every single band around here, is screamo, me and my buddies are the only not all hard"gore" people around here, i asked my friends dad if we could play for a few of his friends he said he'll see...but that wont be much help, so i guess im going to have to keep on searching for other methods

pigmaggots
12-04-2007, 04:35 AM
Half the problem with gigging is that you need to prove to the venue that you can pull a crowd, you won't be able to pull a crowd on your first few performances, so you at least need to be good. I've always been told to play at LEAST 30 minutes worth of music, unless these are 4 long songs, that isn't going to cut it. Get back in the practice room, get these 3 more songs done, invite people around to your practice room, play some house parties etc etc.