new band

PDA

View Full Version : new band

soundgarden19
12-02-2007, 02:31 PM
hello i started a band recently and we had practiced Saturday and we had some problems with communication we have an experienced lead singer/guitarist, loud drummer, loud bassist, quiet guitarist(me) and a bongo/ harmonica/singer guy. the problem is that we can't say anything it's either somone's banging on the drum's so loudly noone can hear or it's the bass. i told the drummer not to bang the **** out of the drums but he laughed and said that's impossible. what should i do?

Aleene
12-02-2007, 02:39 PM
Switch all your amps up....

Especially the mics, so then you can shot at them loudly

soundgarden19
12-02-2007, 02:40 PM
i did but they kept playing louder and whatnot

Serjem
12-02-2007, 02:41 PM
dont worry... it will soon pass... whatever it is :D.. lol you will get used to it.. and the ohters will start to feel bored making just noise... it oculd take a month or so =)

soundgarden19
12-02-2007, 03:46 PM
ok i will get over it.

Vulco_Vesper
12-03-2007, 10:27 AM
This problem never completely goes away. You just get better at talking around it.

snot_foster25
12-04-2007, 05:29 AM
I know the feeling. Our bass player is always noodling when we're trying to talk, he never shuts up. We found the easiest way to deal with it was to just come together without him to talk, or to pull the power cord from his amp, and talk as he went to fix it.

After a while, you guys'll realise a band is a team, and for the team to function, everyone must work together, which means shutting up and thinking of everyone else occasionally.

But yes, have the volumes of everything set at a manageable level so everyone can hear each other, and that way, communication will be easier.

dullsilver_mike
12-04-2007, 08:36 AM
Maybe it's the cynic in me, but 9 times out of 10 guitarists think the bass is too loud when really it's mixed just right... or is still too quiet.

It is annoying as hell when people play while you're trying to talk though, I don't think there's any way to stop drummers from doing that :rolleyes: jk drummers,

take the drummer's sticks and unplug the bass player when you want quiet, that'll teach em after a while you just have to lay down the law :no: also try getting some monitors for when you are all actually playing, then you will be able to better hear the other instruments.

Shado\/\/dance
12-04-2007, 10:19 AM
I'm pretty sure all drummers play when other musicians try to talk. It still annoys me, but I've just learned to deal with it...or do like somebody else said, get some good monitors and yell through the mics...it's funny and it works.

Bass players are usually the quiet, more selfless ones... :D

...but yea, their amps do have to be quite a bit louder than the guitar amps, a lot of the time. Just yell through the monitors. Or ask him to come over and help you when you're talking, he'll probably stop playing if he's part of the conversation.

soundgarden19
12-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Maybe it's the cynic in me, but 9 times out of 10 guitarists think the bass is too loud when really it's mixed just right... or is still too quiet.

It is annoying as hell when people play while you're trying to talk though, I don't think there's any way to stop drummers from doing that :rolleyes: jk drummers,

take the drummer's sticks and unplug the bass player when you want quiet, that'll teach em after a while you just have to lay down the law :no: also try getting some monitors for when you are all actually playing, then you will be able to better hear the other instruments.
i'm pretty sure that the bass is too loud i mean it's louder then the drums and all you can hear is the drums and bass, it is there first time in a band and that was a first practice i bet they'll get used to it. thanks for the ideas

sammcl-15
12-05-2007, 10:55 AM
"If you can't upgrade your gear, upgrade your bandmates"

I think Dinkydaisy said that once in the bass forum.

soundgarden19
12-06-2007, 05:18 PM
well i can't upgrade the band mates, the bass player is so ****ing awesome even though he has only been playing for a month he can already play most rancid songs, and even if the drummer sucks i can't kick him out because the bass player will quit because of it.

hippyguitardude
12-06-2007, 05:57 PM
y don't u turn up ur guitar if the bass and drums r too loud

soundgarden19
12-06-2007, 07:44 PM
that's not the problem, maybe what i meant to say was that we are having communication problems.