what should a singer do during instrumental passages?

PDA

View Full Version : what should a singer do during instrumental passages?

wyldeshredder
12-02-2007, 10:39 PM
my band just got a kick ass girl singer. she can really friggin belt it. the only problem is that we do a lot of long instrumental passages,and she doesnt really know how to act during these parts. we play metal,but she grew up on country, so she's not the type to start headbanging and going ape****. what should she do instead? i tried to search this topic,but i wasnt really sure what to search.plz be aware that im not a search bar nazi. thx 4 any help in advance

MoBscene
12-02-2007, 10:43 PM
strip?

Captirk
12-02-2007, 10:44 PM
Have her like, I dunno, clap her hands or something. Get her a Tambourine, haha.

mosh_face
12-02-2007, 10:44 PM
my first thought is strip

Zeh
12-02-2007, 10:45 PM
go get a drink of water. Then jump back out on stage when her time comes.

smitty131
12-02-2007, 10:46 PM
watch some videos of hayley williams (lead singer of paramore) on youtube. that should give you some ideas.

ibanezguitars44
set up a pole on stage. i think she'll know what to do from here. or just tell her to stop being country and jump in the pit with everyone else for a while lol. or if you wanted to be funny, you could get her to do stupid stuff like...i dont know. my mind is blank. get her to sit on the floor and eat? lol

Bhaok
Have her strip or get her a cow bell!!MORE COW BELL!!!!MOOOOOOOOO

wyldeshredder
12-02-2007, 10:48 PM
watch some videos of hayley williams (lead singer of paramore) on youtube. that should give you some ideas.
thx,will do.
she's only 14,and her parents will be in the crowd...stripping isnt really reasonable...but maybe if she sat a water bottle beside the drums,she could grab a drink

Muphin
12-02-2007, 10:48 PM
+1 on the strip.

But if she's ugly and/or not a slut then show her some recordings of Oasis playing live. Liam just kinda ****s around, and it works.

Vulco_Vesper
12-03-2007, 10:36 AM
Stand around, headbang, drink water, and generally don't look at the crowd or put the microphone anywhere near your mouth. Unfortunately there's not really alot you can do to look cool during instrumentals when don't play anything.

SlackerBabbath
12-03-2007, 10:47 AM
show her some recordings of Oasis playing live. Liam just kinda ****s around, and it works.
Agreed.
If she can't make the right moves on stage, then looking too cool to move works just as well.
Years ago, I saw a band called Poisoned Electric Head. One of the best gigs I've ever seen, but it turned out the singer had a serious bout of flu and felt like he was dying, but the 'ill' look really suited him as he hunched over the mike stand, holding on to it to keep him stood upright. He'd gone straight from being asleep in the van to being on stage so he looked unkempt and ruffled and somehow it just made him look really cool, dark and sinister, and all he was doing was trying to get through the gig the best way he could.
The next time I saw them, he was his apparently normal, happy, smiling, dancing, self and it just didn't work for me the same way, I went home feeling disappointed at the end of the night.
I went from being a bass player in one band to being the lead vocalist in a Sabbath tribute band. I didn't have the first clue of what I should be doing during the instrumental parts so I studied Sabbath videos and watched how Ozzy does it. (It turns out that being an Ozzy impersinator is easy because he just f*cks around and acts silly on stage.)
During one song (Dirty Women) the guitarist plays a really long solo, so I let him have the stage, walk off, sit down backstage, catch my breath, wipe the sweat off, have a drink, have a smoke, and run back on rejuvinated just in time for the next line.
Just get her to watch loads of recordings of female singers (and male singers too I guess) to see what they do.

Metal_Rich
12-03-2007, 02:55 PM
Have a drink! Go off stage for a while like LaBrie.

maggot2011
12-03-2007, 03:43 PM
If she can play an instrument let her have a part in the instrumentals or if not... cow bell/tambourine works great (just look at the real Stairway to Heaven with the 4-minute solo live).

Leper Affinity
12-04-2007, 12:03 AM
I sent you a message, pm me back after you read it

Symmetry4321
12-04-2007, 04:15 AM
That is a problem for us too, we play classic rock (sort of) with alot of twin guitars, and our singer has the stage presence of a frightened mouse, how do we make that better?

RockerPseudonym
12-04-2007, 04:22 AM
Whilst one of the members plays a solo, have her feign jacking off. S'what I used to do before I started playing guitar (Can't do both just yet without sounding like ****)

ECistheBest
12-04-2007, 04:31 AM
cigarette break in the back?

snot_foster25
12-04-2007, 04:45 AM
Uh, EC, she's only 14. You may have missed that.

Have her check out some video's of some of the great frontmen of modern times, in particular, chicks like the chick from Paramore, because what she does might be a little more suited to a teenage girl, but I wouldn't really know about that.

From everything I've seen, Anthony Kiedis from RHCP gives a show by himself when he's not singing, it's great fun to watch him go nuts on stage, and it keeps the crowd happy.

ECistheBest
12-04-2007, 04:48 AM
^oops. my bad. :p:

snot_foster25
12-04-2007, 05:03 AM
EDIT: Geh, ****ing computer.

I had one other thought, though. I think someone said it earlier, but have her go out into the crowd and stir up some excitement, get amongst the fans, and it'll build up the atmosphere.

WhereArtEsteban
12-04-2007, 10:21 PM
The guitarist(s) need to be interesting enough during this time so this doesn't have to be a problem.

Freunleven
12-04-2007, 10:43 PM
Just have her move to the back, grab a drink of water, catch her breath, and be ready to come back in after the instrumental bit. There's nothing wrong with having the frontperson step back and let the rest of the band show off for a bit.

:satan:

feltgrape
12-05-2007, 12:19 AM

In Dream Theaters case, LaBrie could go take a shower, then run back in right on time for that high F# note haha.

civilunrest
12-05-2007, 04:40 AM
He mustn't spend too much time on stage :haha:
But there's not really too much you can do besides headbang or grab some water. Just get her to make sure she just doesn't stand still.

queenofthenight
12-06-2007, 01:21 AM
That is a problem for us too, we play classic rock (sort of) with alot of twin guitars, and our singer has the stage presence of a frightened mouse, how do we make that better?

I suggest an acting class. If the singer thinks of it as monologues set to music, that might help. I also think it would be useful for your singer to watch other bands and take note of how the singers behave and how it comes across. Are there any musical reasons your singer might be insecure?

z4twenny
12-06-2007, 01:32 AM
have your singer move to the music, doesn't have to be anything super in depth just go with it (dont just stand there looking dumbfounded in otherwords) i've seen singers do lotsa stuff, hop down into the crowd to talk to people, headbang, dance along / sway to the music, grab a beer..... just in general some antics to keep people entertained.

Junior#1
12-08-2007, 02:28 AM
In Dream Theaters case, LaBrie could go take a shower, then run back in right on time for that high F# note haha.

lol. So true. But it's not just James that can do that. Back in the day, they used to play Metropolis Pt. 1 quite often and they would have an intermission of an undetermined amount of time in the middle of the song and Petrucci actually fell asleep on stage once.

In response to the original question, just get her to do something to get the audience involved. Or she could just go back stage and relax until she is needed again.

Dethvone1
12-08-2007, 04:23 PM
Give her an instrument. It wouldn't hurt to have her humming or wailing every now and then during solos. But yeah, like another person said, if the crowd is still looking at the singer the guitarist isn't doing his job. =p

gallgael
12-08-2007, 06:29 PM
depending on the lyrics you might get her to bathe in/spill the blood of a lamb and throw the guts in the crowd whilst eating sheep brains...

nah...

i like the idea of her sitting on the ground having breakfast...

MusicalMinority
12-08-2007, 06:53 PM
Just step back and let the guitarists have center stage.
That's what a solo/instrumental passage is all about anyways.

RIM99
12-08-2007, 07:06 PM
Have her do backflips...

No, in all seriousness, just have her go up to the guitarist or whatever while they're doing their thing and have her watch them and then motion to the crowd to give 'em props or clap their hands if its applicable in the part.

Fik0n
12-11-2007, 10:59 PM
Buy a book on how to act cool on stage.

OR/AND

just copy what the popular bands are doing.

It's not like it's about free expression we're you are allowed to do what you want. After buying those books you should make sure to practice looking cool alot so you'll be ready when it comes to playing in front of a crowd.

trey-col89
12-11-2007, 11:53 PM
Get rid of her. Honestly, no joke. Girl singers = bad news. In my first band we had a girl singer to didn't play any instruments, and none of us sang, so we turned into her back up band... it turned into an Avril Lavigne/Ashley Simpson deal so I quit soon after. Its another thing if she plays like rhythm guitar and a guy takes some of the lead vocals. Plus, why would you recruit a girl steeped in country to sing in a metal band?

Porteus
12-12-2007, 01:29 PM
Get rid of her. Honestly, no joke. Girl singers = bad news. In my first band we had a girl singer to didn't play any instruments, and none of us sang, so we turned into her back up band... it turned into an Avril Lavigne/Ashley Simpson deal so I quit soon after. Its another thing if she plays like rhythm guitar and a guy takes some of the lead vocals. Plus, why would you recruit a girl steeped in country to sing in a metal band?

Your insistence that all female singers are useless is ridiculous. There exist female singers of outstanding quality; equally, there exist male singers of such quality. Sex plays little part in the matter, assuming that the singer in question can fulfil her role within the band.

triggerhappy19
12-12-2007, 01:31 PM

...wow.

wyldeshredder
12-12-2007, 10:40 PM
1-she can really ****in sing
2-she has no problem singing metal,and has shown and interest in it.
3-she is completely open to instrumentation,we do a huge instrumental tune where she just completely leaves the stage
4-she is not much of a "look at me,i'm so cool and hot" kind of person,so we dont have to worry about the ashley simpson show.

trey-col89
12-13-2007, 01:09 AM
I'm not saying all female singers are useless... but the bands who have important female singers have special cases where the female isn't the main focus. Jefferson Airplane for example, great band... Grace Slick is not the only singer, therefore she's not the main focus and its more a focus on the group as a whole. When the female singer becomes the main focus of a band of all guys, they turn into her back up band is all im saying, at least in my experience, no need for everyone to get an ulcer thinking im a chauvanistic pig or whatever.

Sid Vicouis
12-13-2007, 11:52 PM
just have her go away into the background, if she doesnt know and let the lead guitar take the stage, or other musicians

hurlyz
12-14-2007, 01:31 AM
cigarette break in the back?For a singer?? That's a quite nice way to fuck up your voice for the rest of the show! :cool: :D

walt52196
12-16-2007, 03:43 PM
take a look at teh group when he plays smoke on the water he sits back in the bongle drums and just playing it there all kinds of things to do even the girl can play bungos but in your case if shes a country girl and the parents are gonna be there
give her some percusin instruments to play on like on muffled so that shell be into it and have fun at the same time

outlaw metaler
12-17-2007, 11:58 PM
thx,will do.
she's only 14,and her parents will be in the crowd...stripping isnt really reasonable...but maybe if she sat a water bottle beside the drums,she could grab a drink
yeah thats a good idea
just make sure she doesn't try to act sexy or do any pop star moves or anything like that there is local band called birth of jubal that does that and its annoying as ****

have her study metal lead singers like
angela glosow of arch enemy
amy lee
paramores lead singer
tsunami bombs lead singer
and the chick from lacuna coil

werty22
12-18-2007, 12:12 AM
^Did you just call Paramore and Evanescence metal? I'm not familiar with the other bands.

Leper Affinity
12-18-2007, 03:00 AM
yeah thats a good idea
just make sure she doesn't try to act sexy or do any pop star moves or anything like that there is local band called birth of jubal that does that and its annoying as ****

have her study metal lead singers like
angela glosow of arch enemy
amy lee
paramores lead singer
tsunami bombs lead singer
and the chick from lacuna coil
Angela Glosow is a good suggestion
Evanessence is NOT metal
IDK the tsunami bombs
Lacuna Coil's also a decent suggestion
Paramore is NOT metal

I already sent him some videos of EPica, Within Temptation, Nightwish ( both old and new signer ).

outlaw metaler
12-18-2007, 04:36 PM
whatever is their that big a difference between what a punk singer does and what a metal singer does
lacuna and evanescence are just about the same as far as what Amy lee and Cristina do on stage

tsunami bomb is punk btw

i meant rock lead singers
and Paramore is at least rock give them that much

af_the_fragile
12-21-2007, 01:38 PM
Tell her to watch some videos of Lamb of God performing live...
There are only 3 more words i can say after this.... Randy ****ing Blythe!!!

Aramis
12-21-2007, 05:02 PM
The WORST thing she can do is nothing. It doesn't really matter what she's doing as long as it is something. She could be playing a tambourin, she could be jumping into the mosh pit, she could be in the background drinking, giving props to the other instrumentalists, she could be dancing like Sharon den Adel, she could be two-stepping if she's a country gal. That might put a new twist on metal actually...

mr.peaches
12-21-2007, 06:58 PM
just don't let her play air guitar...

lagunasunrise
12-21-2007, 11:59 PM
Good Ideas:
Crowd surf.
Getting people from the audience to stage dive.
Screaming words like "YEAH!" or "BWWAAHH"
Leaving the stage and getting a drink of water.

Bad Ideas:
Making a 14 year old girl mosh.
Making a 14 year old LEAD SINGER smoke a cigarette.
Air-Guitar.

Stripping is a badass idea, but if she cant do it cause of her parents, she cant do it.

Feel bad inc.
12-22-2007, 09:57 AM
Just get her to feel the music and move with it the way she feels it... Thats what most good frontman (or women do). Just have her move the way she wants to the music if she is into it, thats what gives the best show, if you move how you feel like you should because your into the music.

Symmetry4321
12-23-2007, 01:33 PM
I suggest an acting class. If the singer thinks of it as monologues set to music, that might help. I also think it would be useful for your singer to watch other bands and take note of how the singers behave and how it comes across. Are there any musical reasons your singer might be insecure?

Therein lies the problem, she is an actress as well (and a damn good one at that she is staring in her schools production of High School Musical as Gabriella Montez) but that never seems to come across on stage

KFKing
12-23-2007, 04:54 PM
What type of metal is it? There's a big difference between what Bruce Dickinson would do and what Gaahl would do.

moptopguitar
12-23-2007, 06:59 PM
#1 on strip

Man-bitch
12-25-2007, 03:20 PM

Agreed, do like Labrie!

LeperAffinity
12-25-2007, 08:16 PM
Either drink some water, pour water on herself (if it's hot, don't do it for the sake of it), or go join the crowd until she's needed again... Though if she chooses to join the crowd make sure she can get back on stage again lol

Smitty101
12-25-2007, 08:23 PM
mic swings.
/thread