Directing My Band Down a Heavier Path

PDA

View Full Version : Directing My Band Down a Heavier Path

Jester.Race
12-04-2007, 02:29 PM
Ok, me and a few friends of mine have gotten together to make a band. We have a singer/guitarist, lead guitar, and a drummer. We are auditioning a bassist within the next week or so. The drummer plays pop punk, but is talented. My singer/guitarist is also pretty good, although sticks to mostly chording. He is in to the same vein of music but has been in loads of different styled bands.
We all have a similar taste in pop music, but I like a lot of heavier stuff. How would I start trying to direct things down a heavier path, while still allowing them to keep their pop influences, without them shooting down my ideas ?

kph155
12-04-2007, 02:34 PM
Get them to listen to heavier music first

And what did you have in mind by "heavy"?

tdrules
12-04-2007, 02:34 PM
show them stuff such as new still remains, because they are heavy
BUT they have turned much more melodic and poppy now
Still Remains-Dancing With The Enemy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s75tZw4lgx8)

Jester.Race
12-04-2007, 02:35 PM
I just mean a melodic hardcore path, I'm not talking death metal. I'm thinking like, something just a bit outside the norm, but still appealing to the masses.

kph155
12-04-2007, 02:36 PM
I just mean a melodic hardcore path, I'm not talking death metal. I'm thinking like, something just a bit outside the norm, but still appealing to the masses.

Oh....... Well you could make them watch American Hardcore lol

Jester.Race
12-04-2007, 02:39 PM
Sorry for the double post, I was thinking a not-****ty version of A Day to Remember, Bless The Fall, new found glory's melodies + a touch of screaming and less heart on my sleeve lyrics, etc. Red Jumpsuit, except good (by my standards of such)?
My true passion lies in metal, but I'm not good enough to do it the way I want to, nor are any musicians I know. So I'm trying my hand at doing pop the way I want to hear it.

kph155
12-04-2007, 02:41 PM
Your true passion is in metal you're in a pop punk band??

Jester.Race
12-04-2007, 02:50 PM
I like pop too, don't get me wrong. Sorry for posting so much in this thread, but I'm at work sitting at a scanner for the next hour or so...I hope you can understand the boredom I'm experiencing.

JD Red LP
12-04-2007, 02:50 PM
show them stuff such as new still remains, because they are heavy
BUT they have turned much more melodic and poppy now
Still Remains-Dancing With The Enemy (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s75tZw4lgx8)

WTF haha

this is the Still Remains I'm used to: Worst is Yet to Come (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip8XLmVzWB0)

Is that what you're going for?

Lex Davids
12-04-2007, 02:52 PM
Fall of troy do heavy plus pop very well.

kph155
12-04-2007, 02:53 PM
I like pop too, don't get me wrong. Sorry for posting so much in this thread, but I'm at work sitting at a scanner for the next hour or so...I hope you can understand the boredom I'm experiencing.

I can, i'm sitting in class with a laptop and this site isnt blocked lol

sowhat360
12-04-2007, 02:54 PM
go rent the pantera 3 DVD and watch it with the band.....they'll want to play heavier stuff

guitaringsailor
12-04-2007, 02:58 PM
i'd say make them listen... then they will start to want to play it if they like it then your'e there!!!

tdrules
12-04-2007, 02:58 PM
WTF haha

this is the Still Remains I'm used to: Worst is Yet to Come (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip8XLmVzWB0)

Is that what you're going for?

have you clicked on the link =)

and yeah i like the older stuff as well, they do both very well live

and theyre really cool if you ever get to meet em :peace:

Vulco_Vesper
12-04-2007, 08:44 PM
go rent the pantera 3 DVD and watch it with the band.....they'll want to play heavier stuff

I would want to kill myself.

lolmnt
12-05-2007, 09:55 AM
Play pop inspired by heavier music. I think you said melodic hardcore (which can be pretty poppy), so play stuff like Lifetime, Set Your Goals, Daggermouth, Smoke or Fire, Jawbreaker, and Decsendents
go rent the pantera 3 DVD and watch it with the band.....they'll want to play heavier stuffI would hate my band if they did that

kumamilesbear
12-12-2007, 12:42 AM
play stuff by HIM, especially off their new album, "venus doom"

triggerhappy19
12-12-2007, 01:19 PM
Have them listen to the album Manipulator by Fall Of Troy, it's a little more 'poppy' than their older albums, but still has that "heavy" element that sounds like what you're going for. It also has some punk elements in it.