1st gig, other bands are brilliant, how to sound good?

PDA

View Full Version : 1st gig, other bands are brilliant, how to sound good?

Gwynnell
12-05-2007, 12:38 PM
Basically, we're doing our first gig, its a battle of bands but the other bands playing are all very good quality and have been together for a good few years.

We've been together 3 months and aren't at their quality

Any ideas on how to sound better to the audience?

Thanks
Elliott

(I will return comments to a song or problem or something)

JordanFlayer
12-05-2007, 12:45 PM
Establish a stage presence. The crowd always loves a band with huge stage presence.

dudeman_andy
12-05-2007, 12:47 PM
songs they know and love, and like jordan said stage presence is also a great thing to have

M.B.MetalTabber
12-05-2007, 12:52 PM
Look good, be energetic, if the audience looks interested try and get em involved, DON'T cut the mid range out on your amp, have it atleats at 5 or you'll sound crap. Don't drink (alcohol) before hand, but DO go to the tiolet before hand. warm up before going on, and breath deep breaths to keep your nerves under control. If you make any mistakes ignore them and carry on, and if you think they are noticable mistakes then carry on but look at the drummer.

Thewolf_and_man
12-05-2007, 01:10 PM
and if you think they are noticable mistakes then carry on but look at the drummer.

:D

Gwynnell
12-05-2007, 01:19 PM
lol true, nah i am pissing myself, its gonna be a tough night for sure, our set list is :

Till the end (Our own) Starts off slow then builds up
Where Is My Mind (Pixies)
I Did A **** (Mighty Boosh)
Pain For Pleasure (Sum 41)
Pierrot The Clown (Placebo)

Does that sound alright?

x

Firewind Raging
12-05-2007, 02:10 PM
Play less covers. You've been together 3 months and only have 1 song?

Aside from that, just practice the Hell out of those songs and warm up for a good while before you go on. If it means you have to miss other bands' sets, then tough.

SSDDPunkRocker
12-05-2007, 04:08 PM
...If it means you have to miss other bands' sets, then tough.

I don't wanna be rude and controdict your half-valid point of warming up, but I'd say you should practice, practice, practice the day before the gig, and maybe strum at an old acoustic before the show starts.

If you're serious about being respected and liked, watch the other bands. People will see you, and notice that you're not just another band that shows up, plays, and leaves, but is there to enjoy themselves and make an enjoyable time for others, which will ultimately gain respect from most people, especially the other bands and possibly the judges.

From there on, you can talk to the other bands that caught your interest and ask to play with them again, trades MySpaces, and keep in touch.

Battle of the Bands isn't all on stage competition, you have to show musicianship, as you would at any gig.

AdamDK
12-05-2007, 04:19 PM
if you think they are noticable mistakes then carry on but look at the drummer.

Lol, funny enough, at my first gig, that's exactly what I did.

:D

bakshandloomis
12-06-2007, 02:13 AM
The best advice I can give you is to play an easy song first. After the first song most people lose their nervousness, and if it's easy you don't really have to worry about screwing up.
And, yes, watch the other bands.

Baba O'Riley
12-06-2007, 02:18 AM
Make sure you get a sound check so your levels are good. Bad levels are not your friend.

The best way to sound good is to play well. Practice, practice, practice. If the band's nice and tight you guys are going to sound good. However, you already said that you guys aren't at the other bands's level and you probably don't have enough time to reach it so my advice to is ifake it until you can make it. Put a lot of passion and energy into the show. People will think you're a lot better than you actually are if you do this.

lol true, nah i am pissing myself, its gonna be a tough night for sure, our set list is :

Does that sound alright?

x

What keys are the songs in? What are the tempos?

I'll not sure about putting Till the end first if it has a slow tempo. It's good to start with an up-tempo song because it helps pull the audience in.

dullsilver_mike
12-06-2007, 09:04 AM
Get to know the sound guy, if there is alcohol available, but him one drink. Buy him one or two and he'll put in extra effort, buy him more than that and well, you might end up with a drunk sound guy. ;)

hippyguitardude
12-06-2007, 06:07 PM

Does that sound alright?

x

YAY FOR PIXIES!!!!!!
i seriuosly just listened to that song like 3 minutes ago.

and just go have fun i guess. ur not gonna win if these guys r so much better so just look at it as a practice for performances and have fun.

Gwynnell
12-07-2007, 04:00 PM
Our 1st song isn't slow, it starts with clean guitar picking, vaguely similar in style to no surprises radiohead then bursts into distortion.

Are there any "moves" to avoid that make you look like a complete idiot?

x

SSDDPunkRocker
12-07-2007, 04:25 PM
Um don't do the Peter Townshend windmill, and you'll be fine. ;)

pinkhaze29
12-07-2007, 04:28 PM
Have the singer(s) watch what they drink before the show (i.e. no milk, soda, ect...)

Water is best

Gwynnell
12-08-2007, 04:38 PM
The windmill has always been on my avoid list, aswell as teeth picking, i have sensitive teeth, its horrible :( Metal hey?

MikeDee
12-08-2007, 08:14 PM
Look good, be energetic, if the audience looks interested try and get em involved, DON'T cut the mid range out on your amp, have it atleats at 5 or you'll sound crap. Don't drink (alcohol) before hand, but DO go to the tiolet before hand. warm up before going on, and breath deep breaths to keep your nerves under control. If you make any mistakes ignore them and carry on, and if you think they are noticable mistakes then carry on but look at the drummer.

yeah in one of my first gigs I wanted to piss so badly that I could barely focus on what I was playing, and I had to stay like 30 minutes that way because I couldn't leave the stage. :(

Baba O'Riley
12-11-2007, 01:56 AM
Are there any "moves" to avoid that make you look like a complete idiot?

x

Avoid anything that you cannot do competently or confidently. There aren't really any "set moves" you should use or avoid. It's all about finding what works for you. Practice moving around and see what feels natural.

Gwynnell
12-11-2007, 12:38 PM
I forgot to mention, if you want help, leave a link to it

Thanks for your comments
Elliott
x