When did you join your first band?

PDA

View Full Version : When did you join your first band?

Odin93
12-05-2007, 07:08 PM
When did you join your first band? How old were you? and how long have you been playing your instrument when you joined the band?

Dozza
12-05-2007, 07:46 PM
Think I was 14, called The Dead Eddies in school. Didn't really go anywhere though...

The singer couldn't sing, the drummer didn't have any feel for it at the time... and I was a really closed player. I'd been playing for about 2 years then I think.

I'm almost 18 now.

Lendorav
12-05-2007, 07:50 PM
I was 15, I didn't even know what a major scale was.

WhereArtEsteban
12-05-2007, 08:51 PM
I think I was 13. Seventh grade. I played bass. I play guitar and had been for 2 years, I've never owned a bass before, I borrowed his eveytime we practiced/played a show. The guitarist moved, I now play bass in a different band and still do not own a bass.

But I'm in another band where I sing and play guitar.

snot_foster25
12-05-2007, 10:48 PM
I was 15, it was about eighteen months ago that we got serious. We've been together since then, and when I'd joined, I'd played guitar for about eight months. It got me into singing too.

frigginjerk
12-06-2007, 12:30 AM
i was 18, and had been playing guitar about a year. that band stayed together for three years, and now i've just finished forming my second band, which ought to last even longer (knock on wood).

Bass First
12-06-2007, 01:16 AM
Was about, 12. Grade 7. I played bass and i had been playing for around 2 years.
i'm 13 now.

Shado\/\/dance
12-06-2007, 09:38 AM
I was 16.

We had me on bass, a dude on lead guitar, a chick who did nothing but playing AAF's cover of Smooth Criminal on her guitar and thinking she was amazing for it, and a guy who had a snare and bass drum, and a cymbal and hat. The singer did not exist.

I'd been playing about 8 months at the time. It was gloriously horrid.

OpposingForce
12-06-2007, 09:50 AM
May of this year (2007). I was 17, I'm 18 now and I was the drummer. It was 3 brothers (singer, bass, rhythm guitar) and one of my friends from class on lead guitar. The 3 brothers' dad played a heavy role in the band. He wrote about half of the songs and told his kids what notes to play and unfortunately because of his heavy involvement we ended up breaking up due to a huge argument, and they refused to get new equipment (they would use my little practice amps since I play guitar and bass as well and not to mention they had really cheap bass and guitar) which would have been a problem for future gigs (the 2 gigs we played we got to use school equipment).

Since then me and the lead guitarist have gone on to form several different bands, with a constantly revolving door of musicians. It's a shame that the first band broke up because transportation was never an issue, and we would have practices about 2 times a week and we even played 2 gigs. But that's life...anyway I still play the drums for my new band.

stratkat
12-06-2007, 11:40 AM
15, i'd only been playing for a year...I thought I was good then:/ we sucked pretty badXD Now I'm smarter and realize I'm still not a good guitar player, i'm getting there though.

soundgarden19
12-06-2007, 05:23 PM
10 when i got a guitar and had been playing for three months. not a good idea, i just joined because the leader's(singer,guitar player and drummer) dad played in a famous country band and that he said we could record in his studio and what not.

hippyguitardude
12-06-2007, 05:53 PM
after 7th grade b-fore 8th. i had just released a ****ty self-recorded solo album and was like the star of the music scene in our school along w/ someother metal kid so these 2 kids said yes in a flash when i mentioned starting a band. not a smart choice of people though. the drummer was a guitarist that had his grandpa's drumset who eventually quit drums and the bassist was just generally ****. so then i got into the band i'm in now which is doing much better.

Strati
12-06-2007, 06:07 PM
16 years old. I joined as a bassist for a band a friend invited me to.

I had been playing acoustic guitar for around 9 months, and bass for around 4 months.

monkey_dancer
12-06-2007, 06:54 PM
14. I'd been playing guitar for 2 or 3 years. Eventually, me, the bassist/lead singer and the drummer left our lead guitarist, because he only ever play horrible solos and writes awful pop-metalcore songs.

We spent ages trying to find a 4th member, because the lead singer is an awful bass player (not that bad, but he can't play whilst singing). We got one of our best friends to play, just to try it out, and it clicked straight away.

Now it works really well: we have a drummer, the lead singer playing keyboard and singing, me playing guitar/bass and singing, and our other friend playing guitar/bass.

SlackerBabbath
12-07-2007, 04:35 AM
It was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1982. I was 16 years old and I'd just got my first pay packet of 35 from my first job after leaving school. On my way home, I saw an electric guitar in a second hand shop window on sale for 35. I'd always wanted an electric guitar as a kid but my parents wouldn't buy me one (can you believe they bought me a ukulele instead?) so I bought it.
Next I went around to my mate's house because he played guitar and that was when I found out that I'd just bought a bass.
The next week I bought a 15w practice amp from the same shop for 10 and my mate started showing me how to play by sitting me down and jamming.
Within the year, I was in my first band which was called Pickaxe. Originaly, there was just me, a guitarist and a drum machine and I handled all the vocals because the other guy told me he couldn't sing (I found out later that he could actualy sing very well, much better than I could at the time, he just couldn't sing and play at the same time) We did Motorhead, Sabbath and UFO covers and we did one gig with the drum machine before we actualy found a drummer lame enough to work with us.

axemanchris
12-08-2007, 11:07 AM
It was waaaaaaaaaaaaaay back in 1982.

My goodness.... someone older than me!

I was 16 (1986). One-beat drummer; bad singer; rotating entourage of mediocre bass players. Meh. First paying gig a year later.

CT

JMDavis07
12-09-2007, 12:38 AM
I was 15, 16 now. Two months ago... we have a gig in three weeks. Me on bass, guitarist and drummer are friends of mine.

SlackerBabbath
12-09-2007, 06:20 AM
My goodness.... someone older than me!

I know, we're as rare as rocking horse sh*t around here. :D
I was 15, 16 now. Two months ago... we have a gig in three weeks. Me on bass, guitarist and drummer are friends of mine.
As me and axemanchris ^ can both tell you, this is the beginning of a life-long adventure. Savour it bud. ;)

civildp1
12-09-2007, 07:03 AM
I was 16 when I formed my first band and I had been playing guitar for about a year. It was me playing guitar and singing (bad call) and my two friends on bass and drums. None of us had more than a years experience and we still didn't know how to play in key so we ended up created really really loud noise rock. We were so bad it ended up being avant garde. Or at least that's what we tell be.

I've since formed another band with the bass play that's lasted a good three years.

stradivari310
12-09-2007, 09:36 AM
I was in a fairly crappy pop punk band for about a year that I started when I was 14. We played like 5 gigs and we were really well-liked because all of the other bands in town are grindcore. But lately it hasn't been going anywhere so I'm in the process of joining a new indie band with a singer who can actually sing and a drummer who can actually drum, so its all good.

KileManA7X
12-09-2007, 10:01 AM
I was 12, just a week after getting my first guitar lol! I didn't even know what a fret was and the band only had me and a drummer but we still sounded amazing!

axemanchris
12-09-2007, 01:46 PM
I know, we're as rare as rocking horse sh*t around here. :D

:D :cool:

As me and axemanchris ^ can both tell you, this is the beginning of a life-long adventure. Savour it bud. ;)

Ah, yes.... if you're lucky. You're 16.... fast-forward 20 years.

*All those people who are friends of yours playing in bands.... you're probably the last man standing. At least 90% of those people will have given up for varying reasons.

*You will have made many sacrifices in your life in the name of music - girlfriends, jobs, maybe even alternate career paths. Those friends who don't play anymore.... they ducked because someone's girlfriend, wife, whatever nagged at them and they chose the girl. Or they got jobs, families, etc. and weren't serious enough about music to keep at it.

*You may well have chosen an educational/career path that complements or allows you to continue to do music. For me, I got my degree in music, and then got a teaching job that involves music. I'm lucky that I get paid to be involved in music, and that I've made a life-long commitment to it.

*You've found a girl who not only tolerates but supports your involvement in music instead of settling for someone with great tits who nagged you into leaving it behind. Count your blessings.

*You'll have children with whom you'll be able to share and pass along 'the gift.'

*Most of your friends will still be musicians - but they'll be the ones who also stuck with it - they'll be musically interesting, creative, enthusiastic, competent, and professional. Something that 90+% of the people you know at the age of 16 are usually not.

Yes, savour it. :D :cool:

CT

basketcase23
12-09-2007, 05:05 PM
I was 14 when i joined my first band. I had been playing guitar for maybe 3 months tops, and one of my friends called and asked if I wanted to start a band with him(he'd been playing guitar about as long as me) and another friend who'd been playing bass for at least 6 months or so. We worked pretty well together, and played some Weezer, Vines, Blink 182, and Nirvana covers, and started writing a song or two together, all in about 2 months time. We all had a bunch of stuff going on outside of school, so the band kind of fell apart after 3 months or so since we could never find time to practice.

I joined my current band 2 years ago, and the chemistry between us has been perfect. We practiced for a year, getting a nice set of originals and a few covers down, and basically blew up in town after our first show.

SlackerBabbath
12-10-2007, 07:52 AM
:D :cool:

Ah, yes.... if you're lucky. You're 16.... fast-forward 20 years.

*All those people who are friends of yours playing in bands.... you're probably the last man standing. At least 90% of those people will have given up for varying reasons.

*You will have made many sacrifices in your life in the name of music - girlfriends, jobs, maybe even alternate career paths. Those friends who don't play anymore.... they ducked because someone's girlfriend, wife, whatever nagged at them and they chose the girl. Or they got jobs, families, etc. and weren't serious enough about music to keep at it.

*You may well have chosen an educational/career path that complements or allows you to continue to do music. For me, I got my degree in music, and then got a teaching job that involves music. I'm lucky that I get paid to be involved in music, and that I've made a life-long commitment to it.

*You've found a girl who not only tolerates but supports your involvement in music instead of settling for someone with great tits who nagged you into leaving it behind. Count your blessings.

*You'll have children with whom you'll be able to share and pass along 'the gift.'

*Most of your friends will still be musicians - but they'll be the ones who also stuck with it - they'll be musically interesting, creative, enthusiastic, competent, and professional. Something that 90+% of the people you know at the age of 16 are usually not.

Yes, savour it. :D :cool:

CT
:haha :haha
All of the above has happened to me, it's like a biography. :D

Gargan
12-10-2007, 07:14 PM
It was this time last year, just me and my bassist, so i was 15.

We werent really serious for a few months, just practised occassionaly. Then we got a rhythm guitarist who forced the band along because she was much more serious about it because she was failing school. We got a drummer that we all like, auditioned a few singers and then the rhythm guitarist quit. We've been drudging along since then (written about 50 songs between us). Need to do some gigs!!!!!!