Is this harmony les paul copy worth anything?

PDA

View Full Version : Is this harmony les paul copy worth anything?

Joey Radical
12-06-2007, 12:02 PM
Well my dad my dad works as one of those guys who buy stuff from people that died, and then sells them at an auction. So he bought the possessions of this guy who had some guitars and basses, but my dad didn't want them, so he gave them to me :D

So I got this Harmony Les Paul copy. However, it's not in a good shape (its bridge tailpiece is missing, among other things), so I took it to a store today, and asked the guy what it would cost to repair it to a playable state.

He told me that it would cost about 100$ to repair it, and there's no way I'm going to pay that much for this kind of crap! But then he told me that he'd pay me 80$ for it. And that left me suspicious, 'cause if he wants to actually pay for this crap, maybe it's actually worth something.

So... is he ripping me off, or should I sell it to him?

Pics:http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/China_Boy/DSC01631.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/China_Boy/DSC01632.jpg

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b300/China_Boy/DSC01634.jpg

Donkey Fly
12-06-2007, 12:10 PM
Probably not.

Maybe 50 max. All you can do is try and find some decent offers.

What else is wrong with it?

You may be able to fix it yourself.

Joey Radical
12-06-2007, 12:27 PM
Well the bridge is missing so I'll have to get one of those.

Also, the neck appears to be "out of place", it's not paralell with the body of the guitar, it's kind of "bent" in a way.

The pickups are set way too high, but I guess that's easy to fix.

Thing is, I don't know **** about guitars besides playing them so I'm a bit doubtful I can do it myself :D And a new bridge apparantly costs 55$ >_>

rhysm
12-06-2007, 12:32 PM
i think the paint job is pretty cool. if i were you id keep it until you have some money spare and fix it up

Tackleberry
12-06-2007, 12:38 PM
A tail piece is only about 18 bucks. As it looks to be a bolt neck guitar it can be shimmed to bring into alignment. The guitar store knows they can fix it for very little and put it up and sell it. As of right now you have 0 dollars in it. So if you buy a tail piece and get the neck set right wouldnt be to bad a deal.

splat102
12-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Well, if you could find out what wood is used, and if it is a good type of wood, then you can possibly fix it and make it better than an original Gibson.

johnro6659
12-06-2007, 12:41 PM
Harmony made some decent guitars in their day. I never saw a LP copy like that though. The missing piece is a cheap part and you can easily pop it on and restring it. I would try it out and see how it sounds. What else is missing, is the wiring OK? From the pics it looks pretty complete. Is the neck straight? If the guys is going to give you $80.00 for it you can be sure he expects to get at least twice that. What is $80.00 your cash in US cash? It might be worth hanging on to or fixing it as a backup. I would grab a guitar like that for under $100.00 and toss it on Ebay.

Joey Radical
12-06-2007, 03:56 PM
Well I have already converted it into US Cash for you :D

But the guy at the store told me a tail piece costs 50$ :O What a bitch :p

The neck is not straight though..

I'm not sure about the wiring... is there any way you can test that without putting on strings?

the.spine.surfs
12-06-2007, 04:45 PM
If the neck really isn't straight, then get the $80 while you can.

Otherwise, http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/ProLine-US-Les-Paul-Stop-Tailpiece-Assembly?sku=363084 or the like, and a pack of strings, and you'll have it running for under $20.

johnro6659
12-07-2007, 12:30 PM
With out strings you can plug it in an amp and just lightly tap the pups with a pick they will pick up that vibration. Operate the pots and see how much noise they make and listen for any hum. I would check Ebay for the tail piece not sure what you'll find over there in Europe but it's worth a shot. I looked thru my parts bin I thought I had and old one off an old LP but I must have given it away already.

Does the neck look like it just might need adjusting?

John

ECwomantoneman
12-07-2007, 08:33 PM
Also, the neck appears to be "out of place", it's not paralell with the body of the guitar, it's kind of "bent" in a way.

If it's a set neck (glued in, not screwed in) then it's supposed to be at an angle.

stussy<>punk
12-07-2007, 09:46 PM
is it a set or bolt on neck??

truespin
12-07-2007, 10:10 PM
I actually have one very similar to that.
Mine is a silverburst, and it has trapezoid inlays, not blocks, and they're not exactly as nice as that. It also has openface humbuckers as opposed to chrome covered ones.
Mine belonged to my grandfather in the 70s/80s, so I wouldn't trade mine for anything.
But as for yours, throw a tailpiece on it and string it up and see how it feels.