Cash hand-outs at unpaid gigs...

PDA

View Full Version : Cash hand-outs at unpaid gigs...

Tomaz24
12-06-2007, 07:00 PM
Just got back from a gig I did about an hour and a half away from my home. Our funk band did it for our school, we were asked to play at quite a prestigious event for the whole body in our country so we agreed to do it for free. Travel was all covered anyway.

But after the gig, lots of people came up to us giving us complements - one person in particular was very interested, and when he found out we weren't being paid he reached for his wallet and gave each of us a tenner. 60 just out of the blue, just some random person who was invited (not a representitive).

Wouldn't be the first time either. We've had hand outs before from random people.

Are these just wonderful freak occurances, or is this usual? :liplick:

anita prs bad
12-06-2007, 07:18 PM
well as you are still in school im gonna say you are young and perhaps the people didnt feel right buying you a beer. As you get older and start playing gigs in clubs youll find that people often will buy you drinks or give you couple hits off a doobie whatever its there way of saying i was hanging out with so and so and they played an awsome set and its how they feel like there doing there part youre the entertainment and they just want to be a part of it.

FeiRei
12-06-2007, 07:28 PM
Well I just did a gig at a coffee shop where we only played for food. During the show though a guy cam up and gave us some cash, along with a few other people. Most of the time good people who like your music will give you some cash, cause they know, "If being a musician was easy it would be called your mom."

Tomaz24
12-07-2007, 06:08 AM
Interesting.

We're sixth formers actually, so we do get bought drinks quite a bit.

Just thought hand-outs were unusual. :D

Vulco_Vesper
12-07-2007, 02:38 PM
Never gotten a hand out. and I'm yet to play a paying gig.

axemanchris
12-08-2007, 11:04 AM
I've been gigging for 20 years. I've had people buy me drinks and stuff. The only people who have come up to me to give me money are the people like the bar owner who was supposed to pay us anyways.

CT

pigmaggots
12-08-2007, 04:52 PM
Well I just did a gig at a coffee shop where we only played for food. During the show though a guy cam up and gave us some cash, along with a few other people. Most of the time good people who like your music will give you some cash, cause they know, "If being a musician was easy it would be called your mom."

Yeah, we tend to play for food....or hot chocolate....or a free beer....petrol money if we're lucky..LOL