Getting the Shakes...

PDA

View Full Version : Getting the Shakes...

MentalityBand
12-06-2007, 07:43 PM
Usually when my band and I play live, I can definitively say we can dominate every stage or event.

I just have this gift, more or less, of not ever being able to get humiliated, nervous or embarrassed. Going back a week or so, I could have played totally nude and still been as good as ever I'd been.

However, lately, like over the last week or so, I've become really restive, edgy and solicitous. I get the shakes really bad and I have trouble controlling my voice.

My theory is that perhaps everything I've been doing has finally sunk in, but I've been performing in music and acting for a good decade now.

Worst of all, I have my first gig in my home town coming up (usually we play elsewhere).
Thus far it's D-Day -11.

I'm getting pretty perturbed about this, especially as we played today and, in all honesty, I was far from being my best.

Also, my mind keeps wandering and I'm finding that picking is getting really hard to do because I keep missing notes.

Once again, this has only been going on the last 6-8 days.

If somebody could elucidate to me what may be happening, then it would be much appreciated.

Themann810
12-06-2007, 07:46 PM
shoot up, always works

Guitar_Jester
12-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Get laid.

MentalityBand
12-06-2007, 07:50 PM
If I was after smart-ass answers, I'd ask The Pit.

Themann810
12-06-2007, 07:53 PM
you asked the pit, so clearly you're after smart ass answers..no?

edit: i'm in the wrong forum

Zida
12-06-2007, 07:55 PM
this was posted under the musician talk forum, not the pit... soooo......
edit: lol, yea you are :P

cheez1492
12-06-2007, 07:55 PM
might just be cuz you're playing in your home town
when people who actually know you are watching
that'd make me alot more nervous than just playing in front of a bunch of people i'll probably never see again

but yeah i dunno
probably all just mental

Vulco_Vesper
12-07-2007, 02:31 PM
Stress. Probably from outside of the band. Though it could really be any number of subconscious problems. Just make sure you're doing everything you can to stay calm before a show.

SSDDPunkRocker
12-07-2007, 04:36 PM
might just be cuz you're playing in your home town
when people who actually know you are watching
that'd make me alot more nervous than just playing in front of a bunch of people i'll probably never see again

I think cheez1492 is right. No matter what, you're gonna care what other people think. But dude just chill because if your friends have heard your music before, and like it, there's nothing to be worried about. Just express to the fullest at the gig that it's what you love, and people will respect you for it.

Most importantly, when you're on stage and you see people getting into your performance, you'll loosen up. I guarantee it. :liplick:

I've had the same problem. Playing at Open Mic Nights and Talent Shows at school sucked majorly, and of course my first gig with my current band, because we only invited everyone we knew. But now I just act casually insane on stage.

KileManA7X
12-09-2007, 10:38 AM
Before I try out for musicals and stuff, I get really nervous but after a few years I figured out it seems like it's coming from your stomach so I try to fight it. How? I just try to think of fighting someone who is trying to fight back and getting them down to the ground and keeping them there. It sounds weird but I thought it worked pretty good.

Baba O'Riley
12-11-2007, 01:32 AM
I think it's psychological stress. Perhaps it's the idea of playing in your hometown. Is anything in particular bothering you? Is anything out of the usual? Work? Family? Relationship? etc.

Once you figure out what's bothering you, you can beat it.

Good luck. :cheers: