Zager guitars?

PDA

View Full Version : Zager guitars?

pharm30
12-07-2007, 03:45 PM
Anyone have a Zager guitar? I noticed a couple on ebay and checked them out.
Apparently you can get a Martin with "ez play" setup, aling with his own designed guitars. On the site it looks like they get good reviews. ....

http://www.zagerguitar.com/index.php?event=public.store.guitars.list

ibikinz
12-07-2007, 03:55 PM
i dunno i dont trust random guitar makes i know i sound stupid saying that.

ibikinz
12-07-2007, 03:57 PM
Catually i take that back, i think it looks pretty retro.

koxx
12-07-2007, 07:41 PM
Personally I don't like them. I have a Zad 50 and it plays decently but I have found that for the price range I would rather a seagull. The Zager I have sounds slightly dull. It is not as loud as I would want it to be and it doesn't cut through very well. I would look at other guitars in your price range and buy a guitar in person. Good luck

egnorth
12-27-2007, 05:11 PM
I have an 80CE and it's awesome.

Guitar Hack
12-27-2007, 07:20 PM
I have a Zad 80 and it is a decent guitar. If you don't change your strings often enough it will sound dull or if you use the wrong type of strings. I use good quality Martin Marquis phosphor bronze strings and change them regularly. PB's should be used on the Zad 50 as well if they aren't that can account for the dullness reported by Koxx above.

Another type of guitar to consider is the Blueridge line.

teegee420
12-28-2007, 02:00 AM
I briefly considered buying one and decided against it after doing a little research. Zager takes a relatively inexpensive guitar and charges a hefty premium for a good setup to make it easier to play. For roughly the same price you can get an all-solid wood guitar, versus a solid topped Zager with laminate back and sides.

egnorth
12-29-2007, 09:24 PM
I briefly considered buying one and decided against it after doing a little research. Zager takes a relatively inexpensive guitar and charges a hefty premium for a good setup to make it easier to play. For roughly the same price you can get an all-solid wood guitar, versus a solid topped Zager with laminate back and sides.
Relatively inexpensive? Maybe, but the 80 has brazilian rosewood back and sides and a solid cedar top. Pretty high endish woods.

teegee420
12-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Relatively inexpensive? Maybe, but the 80 has brazilian rosewood back and sides and a solid cedar top. Pretty high endish woods.Where on the site does it say the sides and back material is Brazillian rosewood? From what I can find it only says rosewood. Frankly, it doesn't matter because it's not solid, but laminate. That was ultimately the deal killer for me. I'm not going to pay $800-900 for a guitar that doesn't have all solid woods. For around the same price I can get a Martin or a Larrivee and if necessary, pay $50 for a setup.

egnorth
12-29-2007, 10:36 PM
Oh does it just say rosewood? Hmm, I thought I read that somewhere. I definitely understand what you're saying, but I still like mine:)

teegee420
12-30-2007, 12:19 AM
Oh does it just say rosewood? Hmm, I thought I read that somewhere. I definitely understand what you're saying, but I still like mine:)Awesome, I'm glad you like it. I never said it was a bad guitar, I just decided to look at other options based on my research.

WoodyG
01-05-2014, 01:20 PM
I own a Zager Parlor.
I put it away for a couple months and played it the other day.
I am not as impressed with the long term test drive, here's why.
Thin reedy sound due to light strings. Easy to play but a little buzzy at times. Always use a light pick. Decent guitar with a good finish decent bracing and solid tone wood top.
Plywood sides made from Nato or indonesian Mahogany.
I think it has a Plek system setup. The frets are hand worked upon close examination.
I think the setups are done through a luthier school which adjoins Zagers distribution/office/warehouse (pure speculation on my part). Google Earth the address in Lincoln Ne.

Intonation is good using a Snark tuner. Really nice fitted and Zager imprinted case that really works. They shipped my guitar in its case loose in an over sized box that was at least 1 foot too large side to side and end to end.

If I had to do it over I would buy a better guitar with a hard case then send it to a luthier for easy play set up and only end up spending a couple hundred more for a pro tune/setup than a Zager.

That being said it does play and sound better than most off the shelf $300-350 range guitars and it has a great hardcase to boot. When my fingers are stiff from work or age the Zager provides me a way to play. The parlor is a lower cost small alternative.