Can I use six strings on my 12-string?

PDA

View Full Version : Can I use six strings on my 12-string?

Demon Wolf
12-08-2007, 08:09 AM
Silly question probably, but I was just wondering if I can remove the thinner strings and play my 12-stringed guitar like a normal six-stringer, without messing anything up?

Thanks in advance!

-DW

B345T
12-08-2007, 08:13 AM
Its probably set up to handle the extra tension. You could maybe use heavier strings and get away with it but I'm just guessing!

frigginjerk
12-08-2007, 08:20 AM
yeah, 12 strings are set up to handle twice the tension of a normal guitar, so you could run into neck issues. also, you'd have a bigger space between strings on the fretboard.

i don't recommend it.

LeftyDave
12-08-2007, 09:17 AM
Why would you want to? Would you drive a car that has a V8 but only use 4 of the cylinders? What's the point in leaving out half of what it's capable of?

captivate
12-08-2007, 10:06 AM
i wouldnt do it. the neck may be damaged by doing that. even WITH heavier strings. it was specifically made for 12 strings.

Demon Wolf
12-08-2007, 11:01 AM
Why would you want to? Would you drive a car that has a V8 but only use 4 of the cylinders? What's the point in leaving out half of what it's capable of?

Ah, I won't do it after reading what has been said. The thing is, all of the thinner strings are in bad shape and need to be replaced. I was figuring I could use it for something while waiting for money to buy a new full set of strings.

Alright, thanks for all your help.

LeftyDave
12-08-2007, 11:46 AM
That'd be your best bet to save up the money then string her up like she ought to be. You'll hear it for what it is then, a 12 string. BTW, which set of strings are you looking at buying?

robertreilly666
12-09-2007, 12:24 AM
you should be fine with only 6 strings, i use my 12 string with 6 strings because the tuners suck and i cant be assed harmonically tuning each of the octave strings.

Im selling it in january too lol.

You should be fine. and if you do notice any kind of warping you can just adust the tuss rod.

dsotm73
12-13-2007, 01:49 PM
i dont think it would. but... WHY?! theres no point, just buy a 6

Calum_Barrow
12-13-2007, 02:03 PM
Yes you can with a little adjustment of the truss rod. Probably won't sound as good as a normal 12, as it'll be braced stronger and will probably need more strings to 'drive' the top more.

Shame though, as it's a waste of a WONDERFUL instrument that is the 12 string.

phillyguitar
12-13-2007, 02:32 PM
one of my buddies played his 12 with only 6 strings, but now his hand is used to a huge neck so when he looks for guitars he looks for a huge neck. It's possible, but not recommended. Not only because the guitar wasn't intended to do so, but also because you can form bad habits and get use to the really wide fretboard.

deluxity
12-13-2007, 02:52 PM

maybe if you're too cheap and don't want to spend a lot on gas ;)

one of my buddies played his 12 with only 6 strings, but now his hand is used to a huge neck so when he looks for guitars he looks for a huge neck. It's possible, but not recommended. Not only because the guitar wasn't intended to do so, but also because you can form bad habits and get use to the really wide fretboard.

what's the wrong thing in getting used to a wide neck?

it's just like getting used to any neck, also, you can get used to many diferent necks

also, a 12 string neck (at least the ones i've played) aren't that thick

i say, give it a try witout the octave strings,if you see any difference in the guitar (which i doubt) go back to the 12 strings

Made Of Metal
12-13-2007, 03:50 PM
not to be a dick here, but...strings are like $8-10 a pack for 12 strings. Just buy some new ones. Don't do something you might regret.

robertreilly666
12-13-2007, 10:32 PM
not to be a dick here, but...strings are like $8-10 a pack for 12 strings. Just buy some new ones. Don't do something you might regret.

because somepeople, primarily fingerstyle players like a wider than normal fretboard, it is also good for people with thick fingers who find a slim neck and fretboard to be too dainty.

he wont regret it because the worst case senario is that he gets a bit of buzz from the machine heads that he isnt using.

Made Of Metal
12-13-2007, 11:36 PM
because somepeople, primarily fingerstyle players like a wider than normal fretboard, it is also good for people with thick fingers who find a slim neck and fretboard to be too dainty.

he wont regret it because the worst case senario is that he gets a bit of buzz from the machine heads that he isnt using.

Indeed. I didn't think of that. :)