Need Setlist for Paid Gig, did I mention I've never played live?

PDA

View Full Version : Need Setlist for Paid Gig, did I mention I've never played live?

JMDavis07
12-08-2007, 05:04 PM
If you read the headline, you might know what sort of predicament it is that I'm in. My band is a trio, me on bass, a friend on guitar and singing, another on drums. That said, our old setlist doesn't really apply to this gig because it's in a redneck bar and our other guitarist left the band. We've been together for a couple of months and we're capable so musicianship shouldn't be a problem. I've never played live, especially in front of a bunch of rednecks all screaming, "FREEBIRD!"

Here's my request: Could you perhaps suggest some songs a trio can play that would entertain Southerners...? and just so you know, we're being paid 400USD split three ways and the gig is in three weeks.

Thanks for any help and tips are appreciated for live presence and sound.

I'm nervous.

stephen_rettie
12-08-2007, 05:08 PM
freebird?
hotel califrnia
anything eagles if thats your audience

red157
Don't play songs from bands you think these 'rednecks' (As you called them) like. You'll be thinking you're catering to their tastes, they'll probably think you're taking the piss.

anything eagles if thats your audience
I'd expect them to be ripped to shreds playing that.

Divinity Within
anything by zz top or the allman brothers

JMDavis07
12-08-2007, 05:14 PM
Don't play songs from bands you think these 'rednecks' (As you called them) like. You'll be thinking you're catering to their tastes, they'll probably think you're taking the piss.

I'd expect them to be ripped to shreds playing that.
>.> They are rednecks... :D

So you're saying that we should play what we want regardless of where? Sounds good to me, I'm just trying to confirm with you what you said.

Pure_Morning
12-08-2007, 05:47 PM
So you're saying that we should play what we want regardless of where? Sounds good to me, I'm just trying to confirm with you what you said.

That's what I would do. Just play what you want, you'll get more props for that than just regurgitating what they can hear out the jukebox :)

axemanchris
12-08-2007, 06:14 PM
Agreed.... assembling a new setlist in 3 weeks to cater to one crowd is just begging for trouble in so many ways.

Do what you do. The person who booked you did so knowing what you guys do, right?

CT

Chevylegend454
12-08-2007, 06:17 PM
learn freebird its your only sure way to survive
and roadhouse

or maybe Rawhide (Blues Brothers!!!!)

JMDavis07
12-09-2007, 12:03 AM
Agreed.... assembling a new setlist in 3 weeks to cater to one crowd is just begging for trouble in so many ways.

Do what you do. The person who booked you did so knowing what you guys do, right?

CT
Yeah, good point. Either way we play a lot of classic rock, Floyd, Cream, Hendrix, and a bit of our own stuff. I guess we can play enough music to keep people entertained for an hour or so.

Thanks for the help... again.

GentlyWeeps
12-09-2007, 01:22 AM
Well, here's a set-list of covers I've always wanted to hear:

1. Black Dog - Led Zeppelin
2. Purple Haze - Hendrix
3. I'm in Love with My Car- Queen
4. Same Old Song and Dance- Aerosmith
5. Strange Brew- Cream
6. Sunshine of your Love- Cream
7. Superstition- Stevie Wonder (can be adapted to power trio)
8. Texas Flood- SRV
9. Hideaway- Freddie King
10. Voodoo Chile- Jimi Hendrix
11. Bonie Moronie- Johnny Winter
12. Whipping Post- Allman Brothers
13. Have A Cigar- Pink Floyd
14. and just cause...Green Grass and High Tides- The Outlaws!

EDIT: I'm a yank though lol

JMDavis07
12-09-2007, 01:24 AM
Well, Black Dog, Purple Haze, Sunshine of Your Love, and Voodoo Chile are confirmed.

We're recording too so maybe I can post it for you...?

axemanchris
12-09-2007, 01:31 PM
Funny you mention those ones.... The last three are really overplayed. Some crowds will roll their eyes and think, "Oh, God... not another band doing yet another version of *that* song again....", yet others are still dying to hear those same songs because they're tried and true crowd pleasers. I tend to avoid those kinds of songs myself.

And this is more of a problem at Karaoke places, but if I hear one more crappy Mickey-Mouse-on-crack bad falsetto version of Black Dog, I don't know what I'll do. hahahahaha

#3, 4, 13.... interesting choices. Great songs, but less overdone.

For God's sake, though.... DON'T do:
Freebird
Roadhouse Blues
Love Me 2x
Satisfaction
Jumping Jack Flash
Knockin on Heaven's Door
.... or any other overplayed ilk like that....

Don't record and post covers. Illegal.

CT

mydogpoops
12-09-2007, 03:29 PM
Play All Along the Watchtower.

JMDavis07
12-09-2007, 06:15 PM
Funny you mention those ones.... The last three are really overplayed. Some crowds will roll their eyes and think, "Oh, God... not another band doing yet another version of *that* song again....", yet others are still dying to hear those same songs because they're tried and true crowd pleasers. I tend to avoid those kinds of songs myself.

And this is more of a problem at Karaoke places, but if I hear one more crappy Mickey-Mouse-on-crack bad falsetto version of Black Dog, I don't know what I'll do. hahahahaha

#3, 4, 13.... interesting choices. Great songs, but less overdone.

For God's sake, though.... DON'T do:
Freebird
Roadhouse Blues
Love Me 2x
Satisfaction
Jumping Jack Flash
Knockin on Heaven's Door
.... or any other overplayed ilk like that....

CT
:D

I know exactly what you're talking about. My singer/guitarist isn't one to sing something he can't, but he wouldn't be singing it in the same... octave?

All Along the Watchtower might be a good one to play, and we're opening with a cover. Also playing Hey Joe, Crossroads, and... hopefully Echoes or Comfortably Numb.

SSDDPunkRocker
12-11-2007, 10:58 AM

Ahem. (http://ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=52)

Dishburn
12-11-2007, 04:08 PM
JM,
Only play "Freebird" if your band's name is Lynyrd Skynyrd. Try these: Theme Song to Rawhide and Stand by your Man... it worked for the Blues Brothers.
Good Luck!
Dish

live4ledzep
12-30-2007, 10:55 PM
zz top is very recognizable to anyone whos ever listened to rock in the south. they should like zz top, and anything blues-rock. i asked my dad (grew up in KY) and he said zz top, stevie ray vaughan (if ure up for it) and cream

SpiritOfRadio11
12-31-2007, 12:56 AM
I think you should just stick with the majority of your setlist, and then maybe just add a few new ones here and there that they may be better suited to your venue

Gary1989
01-02-2008, 11:53 AM

CT
Ummm No?
Its only illegal if you take credit for the song and try to make a profit off of it.

But to the thread starter, just play your original set list and do what your comfortable with, nothing worse then trying to learn a bunch of songs a week before a gig.

BrianApocalypse
01-02-2008, 05:30 PM
Rawhide.

Seriously, I dare you.

willwelsh816
02-01-2009, 08:08 AM
Try a nice smooth instrumental for the begining, like Hideaway by freddie king.

if you want to keep your setlist, try playing some more southern style playing

mc92
02-01-2009, 08:45 AM
You should try Ring of Fire and I walk the line by Johnny Cash and Cold, Cold Heart by Hank Williams. They love this songs. :D

pandora_grunt
02-01-2009, 11:27 AM

CT

Anyone disagreeing... he looked into this stuff for his thread. Chris would know. By posting it online, you would duplicate and there for it would be illegal.

The fact we let it happen doesn't mean it's legal.

Edit: If you tend do do a skynyrd song: Red White and Blue is a beautiful song.

axemanchris
02-01-2009, 11:30 AM
re: recording and posting covers is illegal ^^^

Ummm No?
Its only illegal if you take credit for the song and try to make a profit off of it.

Source?

Good thing I started the copyright thread in the Musician Talk forum. Still waiting for it to be stickied, though. http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1053221

The first article in that thread addresses the issue of recording covers, complete with links to primary sources.

CT