microphone stupid(really) question

View Full Version : microphone stupid(really) question

12-09-2007, 09:12 PM
well here i go
where i am supossed to conect the microphone?
most places where i used to practice with my band connected everything to a PA system and then to the speakers

but now i am practicing in my friends house and i dont know where tu put the mic
all we got are guitar and bass combo amps

12-09-2007, 09:19 PM
find an amp head/PA that can plug in a microphone, then hook it up to a speaker. you cant plug a microphone into guitar and bass combo amps

12-09-2007, 09:19 PM
In the normal input jack. Use the bass amp rather than the guitar amp. The bass amp will hold the lower frequency better, unless you have an abnormally high voice.

12-09-2007, 09:20 PM
you'll need to get a connection that'll fit in a 3/4" input jack, i think.

12-09-2007, 10:03 PM
The failure that is the presence on this humble site still astounds me. First off, do you have a dynamic mic or a condenser? If you have a condenser, you will need something 48v phantom power. If not, (I assume you don't have one) you simply need an XLR to 1/4 in. converter. These are not too pricey, I got mine for around 10-12 bucks.

12-09-2007, 11:16 PM
I'll say that - given the limited range of gear they have - the likelihood of it being a condensor is slim at the very best. Not impossible, though, so it could be a point well taken.

I've jammed using a mic plugged into an XLR input to a keyboard amp with some half-way reasonable success. A bass amp isn't that different. But then, sharing the bass amp between vocal and bass duties is less than ideal.

12-11-2007, 10:53 AM
Get a cheap keyboard amp, and one of those XLR to 1/4" converters.