Good Song(s) For Battle of the Bands?

PDA

View Full Version : Good Song(s) For Battle of the Bands?

Pr3vieWX360
12-10-2007, 03:48 PM
Whats up? I joined a band not too long ago for rythm guitar and I have my first show with them in a little over a month at my schools battle of the bands. Its one cover and one original per band only. The rest of the band wants to play Sweet Child O Mine by GNR, but to me itd be too corny to play at a show. IMO most/all guitarists know atleast the intro to it and i dont want to look stupid during it. Granted we all know our parts through the whole song, its still just like... ehh. Am i right for thinking this? And what are some other good live songs that maybe i can persuade them into playing instead. Thanks!

schecter_r0cker
12-10-2007, 03:53 PM
We are the fire- Trivium, unless u guys play classic rock then Im not sure

icon_player_5
try carry on my wayward son... everybody should know it and those who play it on guitar hero will bow to you...

Redmnm
I'd recommend Monkey wrench by the foo fighters...its simple and sweet and not overplayed...and ya, GNR would be tres corney

Farether
12-10-2007, 03:54 PM
I dunno, the audience however, probably will be impressed if you play the solo good and clean. so it might help you win ;)

Dopey_Trout
12-10-2007, 03:57 PM
altitudes by jason becker

qotsa1998
12-10-2007, 03:57 PM
An easy and really cool one would be Social Suicide by Bad Religion. very simple, very short, and full of energy. If u guys can play really well, maybe a shortened version of Cappilarian Crest by Mastodon. Crystal Skull by them is also a really cool song, but has a verrry strange vocal part at the end.

Metabolic575
12-10-2007, 03:58 PM
Battle Hymns-manowar

that uscks that you only get 2 songs per band,
at our battle of the bands we get 20 minutes.

oh poe poe
12-10-2007, 04:00 PM
my thoughts exactly about sweet child o mine... now if you look at my avatar you can probly guess what ill suggest for your cover song lol

anything van halen. van halen or not, try something thats not the most popular song in the world, yet not totally obscure. like (using van halen songs as an example since i know them better than any other band's...) instead of ain't talkin' 'bout love, id suggest unchained. but if you dont know what im talkin about then just ignore this post all together =p

:cheers:

xanadoo
12-10-2007, 04:01 PM
yeah i remember when i played at my schools battle of the bands we played welcome to the jungle and another band played sweet child. so yeah it was a pretty dumb choice but i always thought hot for teacher would be a fun song to play at school

CtrlAltDel
12-10-2007, 05:01 PM
try carry on my wayward son... everybody should know it and those who play it on guitar hero will bow to you...
Carry on my Wayward Son all the way. Almost everyone knows it, but not a lot of people cover it. And yeah, the Guitar Hero players will go nuts.

I would definitely not play Sweet Child O' Mine. If I went to a battle of the bands and people decided to play that, I would groan. It's not that it's a bad song, it's just cheesy to the point of ridiculousness at this point.

Ramblin'_Man
12-10-2007, 08:42 PM
Key To the Highway - Derek and the Dominoes
Crossroads - Cream
Jessica - Allman Brothers Band
Layla - D&Ds
Hard to Handle - Grateful Dead
Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh
Bertha - Grateful Dead

axemanchris
12-10-2007, 09:22 PM
It's a battle of the bands.... that means the band perceived to be the best at what they do wins, right?

Answer is simple, then.... do what you do best. Pick something the singer can sing REALLY well, and that the band can play SUPER tight.

The best song for you to play at a battle of the bands is not likely the same song that would be best for ANYone else. Imagine AC/DC playing a battle of the bands and trying to do Hot for Teacher. Imagine Van Halen trying to do Shake Your Foundations or Thunderstruck. Nah.

Do what ya do best.

CT

Rykr
12-10-2007, 10:26 PM
If you all REALLY know your parts and the singer can nail it, do GNR!! Even if the kids don't dig it, all of the adults will respect it. You have no idea how many times I have heard a singer murder this song though. If your singer can't do it, don't try. Everyone is a critic, even if it is close someone will be talking about how bad it was. I personally recomend "Gimme Back My Bullets" by Skynyrd.

Baba O'Riley
12-11-2007, 02:23 AM
What instruments are in your band? What's everyone's playing level? What style of music do you play? (I'm assuming Rock)

I wouldn't play Sweet Child O' Mine because Rose has a very high voice, so it's unlikely that your singer could sing it. However, I'm not aware of his vocal abilities. But like Rkyr said, if the singer can't sing it, it'll ruin the song entirely.

st alfonzo
12-11-2007, 04:55 AM
Don't play sweet child it's a bowl of corn and you def won't get any respect for it. PLay something that gets people moving and isn't that hard to sing unless your singer's pro. I'd suggest something early chili peppers like suck my kiss or give it away if your singers down with rapping. The crowd will love give it away

MadassAlex
12-11-2007, 04:59 AM
If you have a good singer, do Breaking The Law by Judas Priest.

Otherwise do something by Motorhead. :D

axemanchris
12-11-2007, 08:45 AM
If your bass player can groove, try Paralyzer by Finger11. Girls like to dance.

CT

GentlyWeeps
12-11-2007, 07:32 PM
I'd go for something like a Kinks song, like Lola or You Really Got Me. Also, people are going mad for Led Zeppelin lately (more so then before), so I'd try Heartbreaker or Rock and Roll, one of their easier songs. Or if you are a cookie of awesome and win, try Bohemian Rhapsody, and get the whole school choir together for the opera parts. I've always wanted to do that.

MSFoSS
12-11-2007, 07:40 PM
anything by Rush if you play it
The Ocean by Led Zeppelin is also good

MmmCesium
12-12-2007, 04:30 AM
Anything by early Collective Soul, like Shine, December, or The World I Know. Everybody knows these songs whether they know it or not... they'll sound familiar to anyone that wasn't living under a rock in the 90's.

triggerhappy19
12-12-2007, 01:29 PM
In my sophomore year we did Stay Together For The Kids by Blink-182. I was personally against doing it since i was into heavier music...but the crowd loved it.

fretmaster91
12-12-2007, 05:32 PM
Play something recent. If its a school battle of the bands most of the kids there are gonna be emo (i know it sucks) so you gotta cater to them.
Play something from Blink 182 (all the small things) or something else real upbeat.
DO NOT PLAY SWEET CHILD OF MINE!!! its great for an 80s crowd but not for this.

trey-col89
12-13-2007, 01:14 AM
Key To the Highway - Derek and the Dominoes
Crossroads - Cream
Jessica - Allman Brothers Band
Layla - D&Ds
Hard to Handle - Grateful Dead
Rocky Mountain Way - Joe Walsh
Bertha - Grateful Dead
+1 I covered Sweet Child O Mine with my band in high school. It was meh, we played it alright, but no one really cared considering everyone's heard it zillions of times to the point where its just not cool for a band to cover it anymore.

cjb2293
12-13-2007, 03:47 PM
hey, try some old green day, my band covered When I Come Around at one of our gigs and the crowd loved it!

Lefty99
12-30-2007, 06:08 PM
Or if you are a cookie of awesome and win, try Bohemian Rhapsody, and get the whole school choir together for the opera parts. I've always wanted to do that.

We did that. Its absolutely AWESOME! :D

ESPplayer5150
12-30-2007, 10:00 PM
you really got me -van halen/ the kinks

SpiritOfRadio11
12-31-2007, 01:03 AM
+1 to rush if you can do it. Spirit of radio would be a pretty awesome cover

R.I.P.Jimi
12-31-2007, 02:12 AM
whatever you do, if you wanna win, stage antics...just don't sacrifice your playing if you knwo what i mean. behind the head, with your teeth, behind the back, oooze confidence.
Play something that isn't really popular, but not unknown, as mentioned above. Zeppelin would be a good bet.

Dalby1
12-31-2007, 08:09 AM
you want a hell of a song to make a good impression..... try dazed and confused by led zeppelin and then go into a big jam in the middle : )

works me haha

Tsucchi
12-31-2007, 03:00 PM
1). Take one song everyone knows and let the audience get into it (my personal band did Immigrant Song).

2). Smoothly change into a jam of a different genre. Change from genre to genre every 2 minutes or so. Good ones would be jazz, reggae, metal, Latin, etc.

3). People generally start to lose interest after a little of this, so pick another well known song nobody would expect whatsoever and play it for a good few minutes (my band did some Dr. Dre song).

4). Wrap up with the first song you started with. This will generally take up all the time you have in a Battle of the Bands time slot. If you pull it off right great things will happens, I won with mostly perfect scores.

cjb2293
12-31-2007, 04:13 PM
In my sophomore year we did Stay Together For The Kids by Blink-182. I was personally against doing it since i was into heavier music...but the crowd loved it.

This is also another song my band did a cover of at our halloween gig last year. I agree the crowd loved it! and the singing parts isn't that hard.

Tubyboulin
01-02-2008, 03:31 PM
Maby Try something like Back in Black. its great song to get the crowd into it right at the intro, and it isnt overplayed too much. But if you want something less played maby Youth Gone Wild by Skid Row? its a pretty easy song as long as your singer can Do it.

Hammerzeit
01-03-2008, 05:23 PM
If you've got 2 songs, go for impact, if you've got time, depends what type you play.

If i were my band (metal) and we had 2 songs, we'd probably play the following.
Battery - Metallica
Raining Blood - Slayer (for guitar hero effect)

But for 20 mins time, go for those 2 plus halo by machine head.

If you're into classic rock, +1 to rush, maybe try a couple of ACDC's or something modern day classic rock like Wolfmother or something.

Mockingbird452
01-03-2008, 05:36 PM
Just do a song where you can go crazy and rock out. And still make it sound good. That will entertain people! :D

tehREALcaptain
01-04-2008, 02:08 AM
I'd go for something like a Kinks song, like Lola or You Really Got Me. Also, people are going mad for Led Zeppelin lately (more so then before), so I'd try Heartbreaker or Rock and Roll, one of their easier songs. Or if you are a cookie of awesome and win, try Bohemian Rhapsody, and get the whole school choir together for the opera parts. I've always wanted to do that.

my whole school chorus HAS sung that song.

yM.Samurai
01-04-2008, 02:30 AM
Bullet in the Head (If you can...)

Symmetry4321
01-04-2008, 04:03 AM
If you can do it vocally and in terms of the drumming, do Crystal Skull, possibly Entrance of the Conflagaration (sp?), if someithing less difficult is needed do Wherever I May Roam or something by Hendrix

yM.Samurai
01-04-2008, 04:57 PM
^Wherever I May Roam IS a good idea...but you'll need to simulate the sounds of the electric sitar in the intro (unless you have one)...

Is it possible to do this by locking (is that the right word) a wah pedal in a single position?

esp1234
01-12-2008, 10:51 PM
hmm, well if i knew you id say lets play bohemian rhapsody (if thats ok) since i knew the whole piano part of the song

midnight ride
01-13-2008, 12:32 AM
Spirit of radio would be a pretty awesome cover
+1 or Some Aerosmith might be good. Like maybe Sweet Emotion or Dude (Looks Like A Lady)

TheBigNoobie
01-13-2008, 10:57 PM
Cult Of Personality

ddranthony92
01-13-2008, 11:15 PM
HANGAR 18!!!!!

you will pwn all the n00bs there