too young? to take serious?

PDA

View Full Version : too young? to take serious?

!ROCKER!
12-11-2007, 04:03 AM
g,day

well im am 13 years of age, im in two bands a $hit one with some guys my age, and a really good one with guys thats are like 17 and outa high school, were called Bitsa weve been together for a while and where a hard rock/ heavy metal band, i am lead guitar and singer, there is a 17 year old bassist and a 17 year old drumer, weve played about 12 gigs and were have been sounding like sex latly, our gigs have been ones like band battles/ talentshows, school and school function shows, shows around town at parks and venues for events and we have some shows planned of just our own at parks. I have a gibson sg and like in a few days about to purchase a marshall daul super lead half stack. when i buy all this stuff i have to save up and buy it, but i dont have a job, this year i have goten a gibson sg, marshall mini stack and marshall 100 dfx half stack, im selling the amps now for a dsl. My parents support me but somtimes remind me that im not 17 and i should slow down, and i hate this. i wana start playing more shows and i really wana start playing paid shows because i seriously think my bands ready, but a lot of people dont take me seriously because of my age, somtimes i feel that because of my age im holding my band back from oportunitys and stuff. But i gota admit it makes me feel good when i get of stage and i here a bunch of guys going "dude did you see that little guy going nuts on stage!" . Somtimes i actaully forget of my age and what other kids my age are like, my band members dont care though, they say i am as mature as a 17 year old and that i ahve a personality of a 17 year old. but i love being 13 and being in the band im in and haging out with 17 year olds. but i hate it when people dont take me serious. Alot of people do but some people dont, its gay.
well anyways hopefully some one actaully read that all, i dont know why i wrote that, its not even a question, im such a dick head, oh well, ill go and sit in thecorner and practise my g-tar or somthing, IF you read this far you are cool and awsome, De actavate the lasers!!!1!1!1!!!! holy jamoly that looks like alot of writing, people are just gona click on this look at it and click back..... oh yer i went to see Dwiezel zappa and steve via the other night with my dad, it was AWSOME! i got Dwiezels auto grapgh. see ya

Cheers mate :peace:

MadassAlex
12-11-2007, 04:13 AM
Arrrgh! Wall of text!

Make that into paragraphs and I might read it.

And with grammar like that, you might want to consider focusing on school a bit more.

Sibanez
12-11-2007, 04:16 AM
http://www.useit.com/alertbox/20021223_05_mistake.gif

...Wall of Text....*runs away*

Leper Affinity
12-11-2007, 04:17 AM
According to your grammar, attitude, and view on the situation, you obviously aren't as mature as your other band mates.

According to your MP3 you are a decent guitar player ( better than most at your age ) but still need work. Your vocals are horrible.

Stay in school, keep doing the band thing but find an older singer with a more developed voice, and listen to your parents.

fridge_raider
12-11-2007, 04:17 AM
And what kind of response are you hoping for ?

MentalityBand
12-11-2007, 04:18 AM
At least paragraph! Argh!

Even I am not reading that!

MentalityBand
12-11-2007, 04:20 AM
Wait until you hit puberty to sing, dude...

...I laughed so hard at hearing your voice crack in your Back in Black cover.

I would...what's the term......not sing ever again.

ralph wiggum
12-11-2007, 04:21 AM
if you want ppl to take u seriously, dont post threads with stupid ramblings in them

Tommy[fin]
12-11-2007, 04:31 AM
Are you purposefully trying to imitate Eric Cartman in that Back in Black cover?

You play pretty good guitar though, for someone your age, keep on doing that.

henza_x
12-11-2007, 04:44 AM
oh gross horrible vocals.
I don't care that you're 13. You are NOT ready, and I see it in your "I'm 13 but i play with people older than me" attitude, which basically says "I think i'm awesome" and that doesnt lead to much improvement.

SSDDPunkRocker
12-11-2007, 10:36 AM
I read your wall--erm, post. Please, edit it into paragraphs or something.

First of all, what are 17 year olds doing out of high school? Graduated early, or their birthdays are between June and September, right?

Alright, you're 13. I'm assuming you're either in the 8th grade or a Freshman in high school. The reason your parents want you to slow down is because you have at least 3-4 long years ahead of you. They're not going to want you to drop out of high school for taking your music ambitions too seriously.

You have a Gibson SG, Marshall Mini Stack, and a Marshall 100 DFX Half Stack, yet you're selling them and getting another half stack!? Are hundred dollar bills just pocket change to you? You have to realize that your parents are not your personal credit card, too, and be thankful for the assload of equipment you're damn fortunate to get.

ou probably don't wanna hear it, but you've played only 12 gigs, and it seems most of them are school events and Battle of the Bands. That's great, but hell, my band has played with bands that were on Warped Tour, and all they needed were a pedal, a half stack and a guitar. Slow down for a while. Going money crazy on equipment with a band that seems to be playing mainly covers is just insane, unless you plan on bar hopping your whole career.

You should also know that things like this...

De actavate the lasers!!!1!1!1!!!! holy jamoly that looks like alot of writing, people are just gona click on this look at it and click back..... oh yer i went to see Dwiezel zappa and steve via the other night with my dad, it was AWSOME! i got Dwiezels auto grapgh. see ya

...are why some/most people here won't take you seriously. I mean, seriously, your post is basically pointless.

Another thing: get a singer that has a fully developed voice. Your voice is obviously not developed enough nor experienced enough to hit a good range of notes.

Obviously, if I spent all that time posting this, you should take these things to heart. I've made the mistake myself of ditching school to do drugs and drink with my band plenty of times, and I don't want it to resort to that for you.

lolmnt
12-11-2007, 11:00 AM
I know alot of kids that are 17 but act like they're 13

demonofthenight
12-11-2007, 11:16 AM
/cyptic response
Your ready, kid, when you know your ready ;)
/end cryptic response

Maturity is all subjective.

honestly, you enjoy gigging/jamming with the older kids. They dont mind jamming with a 13 year old. The only problem is with your parents, who, like all parents, dont like to hear about their kids growing up and becoming independent from them.

Enjoy gigging/jamming. Enjoy your "g-tar" and bad grammar. But your not ready to sing, no discussion about that. Wait till your at least 16 to sing. You could buy a blues harp to play the vocal melodies in the mean-time?

So I read it all through, am i cool? :cool:

Sir Edwin CBE
12-11-2007, 01:55 PM
Firstly - grow up a bit and take a look at where you are in life.

I'm all for you going and gigging and getting experience and for your band to move up the chain a bit, but you're being a bit silly. You need to make sure you have an education, there are many bands that are around nowadays, supply and demand means not all of them will make it.

I didn't even listen to any tracks of yours cause it doesn't matter. If you wanna be in a band for a living then learn how to sing, get books, get a tutor, get to the vocals thread. Learn more about the guitar, about effects, learn and try to perfect every technique, try alternate tunings and more. Then after all of that you may still not get signed and be in a band for a living.

You want my advice - stick in at school, do the band thing on the side and make sure education comes first. You have your whole life to chase the band dream. Record your own stuff ( you can do this at home or at a studio ), setup a website and let people download/buy the album, tour more and more and get the name out there. Make sure everyone is on the same wavelength and that nobody is getting **** for what they do ( in your case parents, in other girlfriends or such that could mean they have to pick one or the other ).

Good luck

axemanchris
12-11-2007, 07:43 PM
Sometimes I'm amazed at the really immature and stupid advice around here from time to time.

Other times, like now, I'm totally impressed at the thoughtful and mature advice.

CT

Dunjma
12-16-2007, 02:52 AM
take a look at punkrockers post.

now always try to write a post like that. most people dont enjoy looking at walls. (they get boring)

Patrick Curley
12-16-2007, 06:25 AM
Well !ROCKER! I managed to read it, I actually enjoyed it. If you're into your music, if your mates dig playing with you, if your parents are supportive then your laughing. Just enjoy being a teenager it'll be over soon enough.

And if people have nothing better to do than bag you out then that's their problem. Take a copy of this thread so you can send it back to them in ten years when you hit the big time.

Taoistic_Beer
12-16-2007, 06:46 AM
:bonk:

That's it, son, no more pb&j to you.

Rykr
12-16-2007, 02:29 PM
OK. If you feel like you are holding the band back because of your age then let one of the older guys represent the band. Let one of them do the talking and booking. Just show up and play. If no one knows that you are in the band before hand you won't be the focus. If you show up and rock the fu@k out people will be impressed, especially if they didn't expect a thirteen year old to be playing.

I have been to many a show where one of the bands will have a young player in the band and I have never been put off by that. If you are good. You have to be better than your average 13 year old though. If you can't sing like you are more mature then don't try (I haven't heard the MP3) but if you can wail, do it!

Spamwise
12-16-2007, 02:37 PM
people didn't take hendrix seriously when he started out. who cares what some people might think? If you really think it's an issue though, talk it over with the band.

axemanchris
12-16-2007, 03:02 PM
James Brown took Hendrix seriously enough to have him in his band.

CT

Spamwise
12-17-2007, 12:26 AM
James Brown took Hendrix seriously enough to have him in his band.

CT
people in general, I mean.

darthbuttchin
12-17-2007, 08:40 AM
Firstly, amen to everything SSDDPunkRocker said, he has nailed it.

On a side note:

The only problem is with your parents, who, like all parents, dont like to hear about their kids growing up and becoming independent from them.

Am I the only one whos parents encourage to be independent from them? Then again, my parents arent normal. They keep me awake at night listening to Heavy Metal. Holligans.

Spamwise
12-17-2007, 03:07 PM
Firstly, amen to everything SSDDPunkRocker said, he has nailed it.

On a side note:

Am I the only one whos parents encourage to be independent from them? Then again, my parents arent normal. They keep me awake at night listening to Heavy Metal. Holligans.
same here, minus the heavy metal. :p: I think if any parents aren't encouraging their kids to be independant, they're doing a crappy job.

Yahz0r
12-17-2007, 04:15 PM
Yes you are, way too young.

WhereArtEsteban
12-17-2007, 06:13 PM
And what kind of response are you hoping for ?
+1

SSDDPunkRocker
12-17-2007, 08:06 PM
I took time out of my own life to give you basically an essay on what to look out for and a list of "do's/don't do's", yet you thank me by calling me a loser and leaving harsh "f--- you" comments on my profile? Real mature.

I never accused you of dropping out or resorting to drugs. I was just stating the reality of the music business and how much it can-- not necessarily will-- take a toll on you and your bandmates.

So don't post a thread on being taken seriously if you don't expect any criticism. It's like releasing an album and expecting everyone to like it. It's not gonna happen.

darthbuttchin
12-18-2007, 11:36 AM
I hope he makes it big. Then I hope he pulls a Cobain. Or preferably, do it now. Itll prove how few people give a **** about him.

Utci
12-18-2007, 11:55 AM
SINGER??? You are going to change your voice, so... it could be for good or for bad xD.

You can think you are mature, beliveme I have thinked it before, but at 17 you will know lots of things and see all in a different way.

Anyway, do what you like, just play play play, and you will be pro :D.