So... how to handle this situation..

PDA

View Full Version : So... how to handle this situation..

Ryioku
12-12-2007, 12:21 AM
Ok, I suppose I am the "leader" of this band I've been trying to form for a few months now... So far I've managed to find a Keyboardist and a Bassist. And a guitarist.

The problem is, we need to rid ourselves of this other guitarist.
Why?
Many a reason, He's an incredibly sloppy player, and before anyone says "ask/persuade him to practice more, etc etc", I've done that, and its been a good 3 months since he started "practicing more" and apparently, it hasn't shown through.
He can't pick up on the songs that me and the Keyboardist write, it takes him about an hour to learn one riff I came up with in a minute.

Those are the problems with his playing... other than that, there are problems with his personality. He's one of those people who say "i hate people with huge egos"... but he is one of those people. All he does is brag about how good he thinks he is at the guitar, and other things outside of music... like how he can "spin a knife in a cool way", thus making him better than me.
He has probably the worst ADD problem I've ever seen, and he has this weird fascination with being as loud and as high pitched as possible, both with his guitar AND voice. And by his voice, I mean he squeels and screeches... alot... in very innappropriate times. And he gets in your face when he does it, I dunno i think he thinks its cool or something.

Now see the question I have now that I'm done explaining him...
He's one of our best friends, and I work with him.

How am I supposed to tell him that we don't want him in the band any longer?

its a tough one

tasty licks
12-12-2007, 12:28 AM
well you obviously dont like the kid and he sounds like ****ing homo so you might as well stop being friends with him if he takes it the wrong way. I've worked with people i dont like, its not that bad. just come up to him and say, dude we're heading in a different direction and we have someone else that is going to fill your spot in the band, I'm sorry things didnt work out. the end.

edit: if you havent found a replacement and just want him out its even easier. tell him another guitar just isn't necessary and not the sound you're looking for. that way you dont even have to tell him he sucks.

Polak
12-12-2007, 12:29 AM
"gtfo out of the band"

tough love.

LaGrange
12-12-2007, 12:29 AM
Show him this thread and tell him to gtfo, if hes such a good player and friend he'll find his own band, or so he thinks and then realize he sucks and eveltually apologize to you. Good luck.

tasty licks
12-12-2007, 12:33 AM
actually I just thought of something way better. just "accidentally" slam his hand in a car door really hard and he'll be SOL when you replace him before he gets his cast off.

axemanchris
12-12-2007, 12:55 AM
Join another band but stay in the one with him too.... for now. Tell him later that you've been forced to choose one band over the other due to demands on your time (school, job, girlfriend, etc.), and that band#2 really has more potential for you and your musical growth.

CT

GuitarHeroin
12-12-2007, 12:59 AM
A band should be a group of people who relate. you obviously don't like this person, so in the long run the band won't succeed. Kick him out.

Draven Grey
12-12-2007, 01:02 PM
There's no easy way, you just have to tell him it's not working out. And then start looking into band agreements, so that it's agreed upon how problems will be addressed in the future.

pigmaggots
12-13-2007, 07:58 AM
Speak to the other guys, if they agree, have a group meeting and get him out.

lolmnt
12-13-2007, 10:27 AM
Talk to your band and if they all want him out too then talk to the kid. Tell him that his playing isn't at the level it needs to be. Make sure he knows it's nothing personal, that he's not a right fit for the band. Don't be a dick about it.

stratkat
12-13-2007, 11:45 AM
I have ADD, with my meds I could literally practice for 8 hours if I took them on a weekend. That has almost nothing to to with the problem though, you could just tell him you're sick of him not getting the songs fast enough, and see if he improves after that, be real blunt about it, and if he doesn't show quick improvement kick him out.

Baba O'Riley
12-14-2007, 01:23 AM
Be honest with him and tell him that his playing isn't up to the standard that you guys need.

Don't make it personal though. Don't bring up issues you have with his ADD, etc. Then he'll hate you. Just be professional and honest about it.

Zycho
12-14-2007, 04:45 PM
Join another band but stay in the one with him too.... for now. Tell him later that you've been forced to choose one band over the other due to demands on your time (school, job, girlfriend, etc.), and that band#2 really has more potential for you and your musical growth.

CT

Only a huge douche would do that.

cjb2293
12-14-2007, 05:25 PM
well just straight out tell him that u think he doesn't fit the band, i had to do this with my one friend because he wasn't practicing cuz he had other stuff he had to do. And perhaps let him know if he gets better or something that he can let you know.

andersoncouncil
12-14-2007, 07:53 PM
actually I just thought of something way better. just "accidentally" slam his hand in a car door really hard and he'll be SOL when you replace him before he gets his cast off.
:haha

If he's acting this way, chances are he's not serious about your band and isn't really enjoying doing it. Therefore, if you just ask him to leave, or if you just don't tell him when rehearsal is, he might have no problem with it, he may forget about the band.

And do something fun with him so he can mess around. Skateboard or something. That way you can still be friends, but he doesn't have to get in the way of your musical endeavors.

Actually, you could even ask him how serious he is about the band. If he says he isn't, that makes it simple. If he says he is, it's a little harder.

walt52196
12-16-2007, 03:34 PM
yeah the best way is to make a recording of him jamming with you and point it out to him so that he can listen for himself Then once that sets in explain the reason why you have to drop him but be a pro about it like what everyone says dont make it personal.

glamdring22
12-16-2007, 04:06 PM
ok ,
im gonna give you an example of how a professional kick out should be

"hey man, its great hanging out with you and all, but i just dont think you're ready to play in a band yet. how bout you practice more and then try out again later?"

of course you're just going to "forget" about him reauditioning

there, problem solved

Peaceful Rocker
12-16-2007, 04:16 PM
you can't go on with someone in your band that isn't working, especially if you havent even started yet.

Only thing you can do is tell him, no matter how bad you might feel about doing it

darthbuttchin
12-17-2007, 09:04 AM
its evil but id just restart the band with the other two and rehearse a different time and 'forget' to turn up to the practice with the other guy or just make excuses

its what most of my band did to this other guy