Epiphone Valve Junior Combo vs Head

PDA

View Full Version : Epiphone Valve Junior Combo vs Head

AC/zeppelin/DC
12-12-2007, 06:38 PM
I am thinking about getting the combo, but is it as easy to mod as a head? I thought I read an article a long time ago that said it wasnt as easy because there wasnt enough room inside.

The only mods I would be doing are the gain mod, and maybe a bright switch. Is this possible on the combo version?

Thanks

thejester
12-12-2007, 06:44 PM
i think the head would be easier but sorry to hear you are modding it, it is perfect the way it is!!!

diditfortehlulz
12-12-2007, 08:20 PM
Love my VJ head.

Anywho, aside from the speaker, the combo and head are not any different.

You people on UG really need to learn to slow down, though. How do you know you want to mod it, if you don't own it yet?

Just get the head and toss it on top of a cabinet. Don't spend extra money, especially when all you get is some cheese-ass speaker.

SomeoneYouKnew
12-12-2007, 08:47 PM
Love my VJ head.

Anywho, aside from the speaker, the combo and head are not any different.

You people on UG really need to learn to slow down, though. How do you know you want to mod it, if you don't own it yet?

Just get the head and toss it on top of a cabinet. Don't spend extra money, especially when all you get is some cheese-ass speaker.Actually, the speaker in the combo sounds pretty damned good for an 8. The head with a nice cab is gonna be better, of course. But if your budget is small, that combo is cheaper than a head and cab.

AC/zeppelin/DC
12-12-2007, 11:17 PM
It isnt necessarily my budget, but I live in a dorm, so a little stack isnt really the best choice.

I think I will want to mod it because I am used to playing on a Peavey XXX at home :)

I just want to know if there is enough room inside of the combo to do all the modding, because I have read that it is harder in the combo than the head.

flashbandit
12-13-2007, 12:06 AM
When I bought my combo a few weeks ago, it cost a maybe 20$ more. It was definitely worth it to me for the combo, because the cabinet specifically for the VJ head is 130$, as much as the head. Plus, the combo has 4,8 and 16 ohm outs in case you want to use it with a cabinet. Oh, and I've got a huge list of mods I'm gonna make to it. I sure hope there's room!

dullsilver_mike
12-13-2007, 12:37 AM
There's plunty of room inside the head to do all the modding. I've done several mods on mine, there's room enough to put extra caps, space on the plate for switches and pots: ou can really do anything to the head that you can do to the combo.

Plus, the combo has 4,8 and 16 ohm outs in case you want to use it with a cabinet. Oh, and I've got a huge list of mods I'm gonna make to it. I sure hope there's room!

The head has all three outs as well.

edit* oh, I get it, it has the best of both worlds... didn't quite follow the context when I first read that :D

AC/zeppelin/DC
12-13-2007, 12:44 AM
I know there is plenty of room in the head, but is there in the combo?

SomeoneYouKnew
12-13-2007, 09:46 AM
^ I don't even understand that question.
To my knowledge, the head and the new combo are nearly identical.
They're in the same size chassis, same board, same layout.

The only difference I'm aware of is between these and the old combo.
That only had one output jack - 4 ohms.
AC rather than DC heaters.
Same size chassis, but slightly different layout.

Here's a gutshot from someone modding an OLD combo.
Does room seem like an issue here?

http://www.el34world.com/Forum/yabbfiles/Attachments/final_mod.JPG

I'd go back and re-read that article.
If there were any issues with space, I'd certainly like to know.

happy-and-lost
12-13-2007, 11:19 AM
Is the speaker in the combo really awful enough to justify the extra money for the head and cab? Here in the UK, the Combo is 100 ($200), and the head/cab 200 ($400). Is it honestly so worth it when I could spend that extra 100 modding it and buying an EQ pedal?

MrCarrot
12-13-2007, 12:55 PM
Actually, the speaker in the combo sounds pretty damned good for an 8. The head with a nice cab is gonna be better, of course. But if your budget is small, that combo is cheaper than a head and cab.
+1

It's a Weber Ceramic Signature 8. Decent sound, but it's a tiny bit boxy and it distorts quite a bit. Probably cause the VJ's so damn loud and toneful. I would prefer a 12", but as a practice amp the 8" combo is very usable.

dullsilver_mike
12-13-2007, 02:16 PM
my bad I must have been sleepy and completely reversed the meaning of your post, Everything I've seen of the inside of the combo suggests that there's plunty of room, there shouldn't be a big difference.

AC/zeppelin/DC
12-13-2007, 06:17 PM
thank you for your help, looks to be tons of room inside the combo, ill get that.

SomeoneYouKnew
12-13-2007, 08:55 PM
+1

It's a Weber Ceramic Signature 8. Decent sound, but it's a tiny bit boxy and it distorts quite a bit. Probably cause the VJ's so damn loud and toneful. I would prefer a 12", but as a practice amp the 8" combo is very usable.
Somebody told me they're switching to Eminence on the newer combos. Just a rumor, I haven't seen one. In any case, it's cheap, and you can just unplug it, and use the amp like a head, any way. It's not all that much taller than the head only version. Best of both worlds, I think. Grab the little rascal and drag it with you anywhere, or plug it into a 4x12 if you wanna have some real fun.

flashbandit
12-13-2007, 09:06 PM
I've got a new one with an Eminence. When the VJ distorts at high volumes, is it the speaker or tubes? If tubes, which one? Are there any mods that allow you to play cleaner louder?

SomeoneYouKnew
12-13-2007, 10:16 PM
^ OK it's no longer a rumor. Are there any markings on the back of the speaker like a model number?

I'm gonna guess it's rated for around 30 watts. I doubt the speaker is causing the distortion. If you plug in a nice big cab, it will be louder and sound fuller before it distorts. but with all settings the same, it will still distort. It will just be louder.

There really isn't a way to make this louder other than a more efficient cabinet.
You'd just need a bigger amp. Try a Fender Twin. Real clean. REAL loud.

kurtlives91
12-13-2007, 10:18 PM
^they now use Eminence Lady Luck speakers.

AC/zeppelin/DC
12-14-2007, 10:47 PM
How can I be sure to get a newer combo?

If I order online will they be new?

I will probably be buying from a store, so I might be able to tell in the store, but how would I distinguish new from old?

kurtlives91
12-14-2007, 11:10 PM
Check the speaker...they are easy to access. See if it is an Eminence.

1337void
12-15-2007, 08:22 AM
well the new combos already have a lable on the front of them to pimp the eminence speaker that hey have. plus the three speaker jacks on the back. really wonder what the speaker is like though? power rating, efficiency, would be nice to know that stuff.

Cosimo_Zaretti
12-15-2007, 10:31 AM
I have the combo and love having the option of just carting it around and hooking up the built in speaker. I mainly use it as a head through a 412, but it's still handy having a combo speaker sometimes.

AC/zeppelin/DC
12-24-2007, 02:13 AM
I went to my local store and the combo they had there did not have the new Lady Luck speaker, in fact I think it was the oldest version of the combo because I was playing at about 10-11 o'clock and I got some hum, I turned it up and it hummed more, I was playing with single coils, but I decided not to buy that one.

Looks like im gonna have to wait....I dont want to order online yet either incase I get one of the older ones.

Which ones have the hum fixed? I know the stripes on the front of the combo used to be through the middle of the input jack and the volume knob, and then the stripes got moved up, are these ones the newer combo?

SomeoneYouKnew
12-24-2007, 12:43 PM
I went to my local store and the combo they had there did not have the new Lady Luck speaker, in fact I think it was the oldest version of the combo because I was playing at about 10-11 o'clock and I got some hum, I turned it up and it hummed more, I was playing with single coils, but I decided not to buy that one.

Looks like im gonna have to wait....I dont want to order online yet either incase I get one of the older ones.

Which ones have the hum fixed? I know the stripes on the front of the combo used to be through the middle of the input jack and the volume knob, and then the stripes got moved up, are these ones the newer combo?I don't know all the details to the story. Maybe someone can fill in the gaps.
Here's what I do know.

There are 3 versions of the Combo.

Version 1 had:
1 - AC filaments. (more hum)
2 - One output jack (4 ohms)
3 - Pinstripes across the center of the front panel.
4 - Weber speaker

Version 2 had:
?????

Version 3 has:
1 - DC filaments. (less hum)
2 - Three output jacks (4/8/16 ohms)
3 - Pinstripes across the top of the front panel.
4 - Eminence speaker

Version 1 Combo:

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/8/6/1/264861.jpg

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/8/6/2/264862.jpg

Head (only version):

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/1/9/3/478193.jpg

http://img3.musiciansfriend.com/dbase/pics/products/1/9/1/478191.jpg

Version 3 Combo:

http://www.epiphone.com/images/N_VJR1.jpg

http://www.epiphone.com/images/N_VJR4.jpg

Blue_Strat91
12-24-2007, 05:21 PM
^^ well, i have version 2, and its got an epi speaker, and only a single 4ohm speaker output. but thats the only difference between it and version 3 i think.

EDIT: actually, its closer to version 1 looking from the back.

Cosimo_Zaretti
12-24-2007, 07:03 PM
I think I've got version 2 of the combo, because I have the later style pinstriping but I didn't get the new speaker, and I only have the 4ohm output. Does that mean I have AC filaments in there?

AC/zeppelin/DC
12-25-2007, 01:30 AM
Thank you!

That post was very helpful.

So either I was playing version 1 or 2...I thought the stripes were in the middle but I dont remember, and it seemed to have a hum problem, but it may have been the single coils?

I know there was only the 4 ohm jack on the back.

The Atomic Ass
12-25-2007, 07:00 AM
I think I've got version 2 of the combo, because I have the later style pinstriping but I didn't get the new speaker, and I only have the 4ohm output. Does that mean I have AC filaments in there?

All version 2's should have DC filaments. Which is part of what makes them version 2's, actually.

But an easy way to test is crank the volume all the way with no guitar connected. No hum? DC filaments.

Edit: And the head started with the version 2 board, and now has the version 3 board, which as far as I can tell is identical except the board is black instead of green.