getting first gig?

PDA

View Full Version : getting first gig?

maybe_I_am
12-15-2007, 03:50 AM
Hey, me and my band has been getting a bunch of songs together, and I have no clue about gigging. How should we go about getting our first gig? What/where should it be? Should we open for a more popular local band, because our bassist basically is friends with the members of a ton of bands in our area. I'm just wondering how you start gigging and getting your name out there...

starwars
12-15-2007, 04:05 AM
you start by being the ****ty band that plays for pennies and gets in shows because they suck the cocks of better bands

maybe_I_am
12-15-2007, 04:11 AM
you start by being the ****ty band that plays for pennies and gets in shows because they suck the cocks of better bands
:liplick:

But seriously, just start by opening for better bands?

OpposingForce
12-15-2007, 09:36 AM
:liplick:

But seriously, just start by opening for better bands?

Yeah..or if you know people who can set up a show. My bands first gig was that the school astronomy club wanted to have some kind of entertainment show to bring in donations. So we got together and created a show of our band playing covers and fortunately we had the school auditorium with a great sound system and lights. Or you could get into a battle of the bands type thing, my band did that and it was fun (even though the rain made us stop our set in the middle)

maybe_I_am
12-15-2007, 05:31 PM
Thanks man, appreciate the help.

axemanchris
12-15-2007, 11:40 PM
It depends somewhat on your age and experience. Your first gig as a band is a lot different than your first gig ever as a musician. Your profile says you're 14, so you don't quite have the range of options someone twice your age with ten times your experience would have - even if it is that person's *band's* first gig. Know what I mean?

At 14, you should be able to weasel yourself into some sort of school event/function with not too much effort or marketing/promotion savvy.

Barring that, even your odds of playing a club at that age are really slim, depending on the laws in your area. As a general rule, opening up for a band of someone you know is probably your best bet.

Consider setting up house party shows maybe. Yes, I'm serious. Anyone who has been playing for any real amount of time can tell many a story of playing to a basically empty room, save for the ashtrays and bartending staff, and maybe one or two alcoholic regulars who are still passed out there from last night. :-) I'd rather play to a rec room full of 30 enthusiastic party-goers than a practically empty bar any day.

In the "pro" arena, (what I was alluding to above), you can skip a lot of that stuff. You'd have a solid demo in hand; you will have played those same clubs with other bands you have previously been in, therefore having a rapport with the club owner/booker; you'll already have experience on how to work the system.

CT

btw.... Weakerthans, eh? Nice! Just saw them a couple weeks ago!

maybe_I_am
12-18-2007, 12:43 AM
Oh yeah man, Weakerthans are awesome. I saw them a while ago and they ruled. But yeah. House parties, huh? I'll have to find some people that actually have parties... haha
By the way, how long would a usual opener's set be?

Another bassist
12-18-2007, 01:08 AM
Oh yeah man, Weakerthans are awesome. I saw them a while ago and they ruled. But yeah. House parties, huh? I'll have to find some people that actually have parties... haha
By the way, how long would a usual opener's set be?

Normally around 5 songs, give or take a little. You said your bassist knows a lot of local bands, correct? Here's what I would do if I were you:

1. Set up a house party gig
2. Book 2 or 3 other bands
3. Open for the other bands, and get your name out there. Mention to the audience during your performance how the other bands to come are pretty good. If the bands you're playing with are cool enough, they should return the favor by saying something like your band "put on a hell of a show." Since the bands who played last are mentioning your band's name, the audience will easily remember your band's name.

If you do this correctly, you should establish good relationships with other local bands plus get your band bigger on the local scene, both of which are key things for a band.

axemanchris
12-19-2007, 11:19 PM
Around here, an opening band should expect to play 8-10 songs. About a 45 minute set.

CT