Creating a jazz project on the "side"...

PDA

View Full Version : Creating a jazz project on the "side"...

Tomaz24
12-15-2007, 03:20 PM
I'm in a funk band which I love a hell of a lot, however lately I've really started to crave a bit of a jazzier more guitar orientated project. I get chances to solo in the band, but never in that jazzy way.

I'd like to get some sort of project going, the only problem is - I can't think of anyone who's really into that genre. I'd rather not ask the brass section of my funk band because they're also in another project (another reason why I'd like to do something else), the bassist isn't jazz influenced at all, my drummer - although perfect for jazz drumming, doesn't seem to be a fan of the style.

I want to keep it quiet for now, so how do I go about finding people who are also my sort of age (17)?

CanCan
12-15-2007, 03:30 PM
The internet might be the way to go. Post an ad asking for people in surrounding cities.

Zen5887
12-15-2007, 08:32 PM
Oh dude please move to where I live (australia >.>' lol) I've been wanting a jazz thing for ages.

Anyway

Try music shops, local gig spots (any halls or park stages) maybe your brass players know of other players.. Likewise with the drums and bass.

Also dont be afraid with playing with older people..Im in a country music club with everyone over 50. It would be easyer to find someone whos 30ish to play jazz then someone whos 17..

Good luke bro I hope it works out

Zycho
12-15-2007, 09:14 PM
Go to your local music stores and put up flyers. Probably have to ask your brass players where they get their gear because I've never been to a music store that sells trumpets and the like.

jazz_croatia
12-16-2007, 07:02 AM
The biggest problem you will have is finding musicians that are interested in jazz and that can play jazz on some level. And also, a jazz project is much more time consuming than your normal band. You will have to arrange a lot of stuff, and probably even learn a lot of theory before you can successfully lead a project like that.

Patrick Curley
12-16-2007, 08:53 AM
Arrangements are important for a big band but I play in a quartet and we never rehearse. Everyone either knows the changes or can read charts and we just make it up from there. We may not have the slick tight arrangements but we have a hell of a lot of fun and there's no shortage of spontaneity. Every week we'll play at least a couple of new songs, some I've never heard before, we often have people sit in, it's a blast.