Where to start with modern jazz/bebop?

PDA

View Full Version : Where to start with modern jazz/bebop?

Rational_Gaze
12-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Hey, I'm looking to broaden my musical horizons and gain more knowledge of technical guitar playing. Can anyone recommend me some artists/pieces to get me started on modern jazz and bebop? Preferably more guitar-orientated material thanks :)

Mongoose87
12-15-2007, 03:38 PM
It's not too hard to play Miles Davis' "So What" on guitar. I'm pretty certain it's considered bebop.

Rational_Gaze
12-15-2007, 04:05 PM
Cheers mate, but there doesn't appear to be any guitar in that piece :/

Confusius
12-15-2007, 05:16 PM
Guitar doesn't necessarily have to be present in a jazz standard for it to be played by guitarists...

Rational_Gaze
12-15-2007, 05:55 PM
True but I was really looking for jazz guitarists mainly, being a guitarist myself lol

Mongoose87
12-15-2007, 06:15 PM
It's been done on guitar before. I can play a good portion of it myself.

Nick_
12-15-2007, 09:38 PM

|:dm7 x 16|Ebm7 x 8|dm7 x 8:|

there - you can play so what. I'd consider it modal jazz though. The quartal voicings used work out really well on guitar, though.

Anyway as far as bop guitar goes, check out
Tal Farlow
Jimmy Raney
Joe Pass (his single note stuff)
Jimmy Bruno
Barney Kessel

you should note that bop tended to exclude the guitar a lot - most of your bop listening will be horn players. A lot of the early boppers saw the guitar as an outdated swing rhythm instrument.

Quoteman
12-16-2007, 12:18 AM
So What is definitely modal jazz

Patrick Curley
12-16-2007, 05:16 AM
Listen to Wes Montgomery, he is the master. There's a live album of his called "Full House" that he did with Miles' band (without the trumpet) when they happened to be in the same town one night. That is the best Jazz guitar I've ever heard.

You could also look out for Kenny Burrell, he did some great stuff with John Coltrane and Miles Davis (he's on Walkin')

You should also listen to Charlie Parker (alto) and Thelonious Monk (piano).

Confusius
12-16-2007, 12:26 PM
If you want to look at hard bop as well, check out Grant Green.

Rational_Gaze
12-17-2007, 08:49 PM
Thanks guys, I didn't realise bebop lacked much guitar, so far I am liking Wes Montgomery(how does he play like that without a pick o_O), I will try to check out some of the other artists you recommended as well.

Also whats the difference between bebop and modal jazz? And can u reccomend me any areas of study to get me started with scales and theory for these styles of music?

jazz_croatia
12-18-2007, 03:41 AM
The difference between ”normal” jazz and modal jazz is that modal jazz is using musical modes and not chord progressions. So obviously you should learn the modes. Everything about them. But Bebop and Hardbop both use chord progressions. I hope that helped.

And now for some bebop artists in general so you can hear what I am talking about:
Dizzy Gillespie
Bud Powell
Max Roach
Fats Navarro
Art Blakey
Wes Montgomery
Miles Davis
John Coltrane

And for modal jazz listen to Kind of Blue by Miles Davis. It's basically a fun ride through the crazy waters of modal jazz.

RhoadsSRV8290
12-19-2007, 12:26 AM
Honestly, its not guitar, but musicians of all instruments use the Charlie Parker Omnibook including myself. In many cases it's practically required material at the collegiate level. The Omnibook is a collection of transcribed Bird solos, and it is jam packed with valuable information and a virtual blueprint of how future jazz musicians would play.

Patrick Curley
12-19-2007, 01:27 AM
Ditto on the Omnibook

Sleepn_Giant
12-19-2007, 04:48 PM
Honestly, its not guitar, but musicians of all instruments use the Charlie Parker Omnibook including myself. In many cases it's practically required material at the collegiate level. The Omnibook is a collection of transcribed Bird solos, and it is jam packed with valuable information and a virtual blueprint of how future jazz musicians would play.

Plus it's pretty good for getting your single-note sight reading chops down :).