Amps good for Jazz Fusion

PDA

View Full Version : Amps good for Jazz Fusion

StrokeMidnight
12-16-2007, 09:45 PM
I'm not sure if this should go here or not, so if not just don't reply.

I'm looking for a good amp for Jazz Fusion and Blues. I'm trying to get the sound of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Return to Forever, along with the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

Right now I can only afford $200, but soon I might be able to go up to $500.

Dimebag22
12-16-2007, 09:48 PM
Fender makes amazing amps. Maybe try a Blues Junior? It is about 500 bucks though (I think....) I own a Hot Rod and it is amazing. I really like it, and it has changed my tone a lot! I fucking love it man. :)

StrokeMidnight
12-16-2007, 09:53 PM
Can a blues junior play metal? I don't play it much any more but could it?

M Power
12-16-2007, 09:57 PM
It could with a good high gain distortion pedal in front of it

StrokeMidnight
12-16-2007, 09:58 PM
It could with a good high gain distortion pedal in front of it

I'll check it out I guess. Would the VOX AD30VT be good for Jazz Fusion?

JeffWiredBeck24
12-16-2007, 10:02 PM
I have a Twin Reverb that I use for Progressive/Fusion. It's amazing, I also put a piece of wood on the back so it would respond better to distortion, just make sure your tubes still have room the breathe if you're going to do that. A BOSS DS-1 modded by Robert Keeley works perfectly too (don't buy stock). :cheers:

Dimebag22
12-16-2007, 10:04 PM
Can a blues junior play metal? I don't play it much any more but could it?
Yeah, you can trow a pedal in front of that thing and it will be a beast. Not anything like a Dual Rectifier though but still good.

The Vox would be pretty good also. The AD30VT is generally an all around good amp but I enjoy the cleans of Fender to be honest.

Nick_
12-16-2007, 11:07 PM
I'm looking for a good amp for Jazz Fusion and Blues. I'm trying to get the sound of Stevie Ray Vaughn and Return to Forever, along with the Mahavishnu Orchestra.

That's a pretty huge tonal range and a pretty small budget range

Maybe a blues junior and a real good boutique OD?

Axegrinder#9
12-16-2007, 11:37 PM
you don't need tons of gain man, neither SRV, Al D or JohnMc. used tons of gain, I mean McLaughlin had a real dirty sound sometimes, but even then it wasn't too much gain. So as long as the amp has nice large headroom, and tubes which break up nicely, I'd wager would do the trick pretty well.

Punk Poser
12-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Honestly if you are into hi gain metal you shouldn't look for a fender amp. Putting an OD infront of a fender amp and boosting it to a high level will give you alot of gain, but not the right type of gain for death metal/ extreme metal. You won't have the tight note response you need for extreme metal, just a wall of thick distortion which could could work for doom metal I guess. If extreme metal is not a concern (think it is for you judging by the COB avatar) then sure go ahead and look at Fenders.

StrokeMidnight
12-17-2007, 04:39 PM
I think I may be able to up my budget to $500. Is the Peavey Transtube EFX 112 good for Jazz Fusion?