band leading

PDA

View Full Version : band leading

ed_roffmann93
12-17-2007, 12:21 AM
im the lead singer/guitarist of a band and the other people havent been playing as long as i have. and i cant keep everyone on beat. is there anything i can do to prevent this ive tryed metronomes and play the same thing as them and they still cant keep a beat.

OpposingForce
12-17-2007, 12:24 AM
They need to practice..a lot. It's pretty bad when everyone can't even stay somewhat in time. I'm a drummer, my main instrument, and I realize the importance of good timing. I'm not saying they have to be spot on exactly like a metronome (though it is very helpful to practice with one) but bands need to at least be around the same pace. They need more experience and practice if you ask me.

Another bassist
12-17-2007, 01:05 AM
They need to practice..a lot. It's pretty bad when everyone can't even stay somewhat in time. I'm a drummer, my main instrument, and I realize the importance of good timing. I'm not saying they have to be spot on exactly like a metronome (though it is very helpful to practice with one) but bands need to at least be around the same pace. They need more experience and practice if you ask me.

Agreed. I play the drums too, and if your bandmates don't even know how to keep count correctly, they probably aren't ready to be in a band in the first place. However, if you're serious about the band, just teach 'em how to keep the "1 e & uh 2 e & uh etc." count. It shouldn't take them much time to get down. After that, you guys should be good to go...hopefully...

Patrick Curley
12-17-2007, 03:36 AM
You have to let the drummer take over that stuff. If he's trying to follow you he'll never figure it out for himself. It's not that hard to keep a beat, my 5 year old can do it, but you have to just say "Right, this is your job, you are driving this band" and let him be really bad at it for a while, he'll never figure it out otherwise.

frigginjerk
12-17-2007, 06:12 PM
yeah, you basically need to lay some stuff on the line...

the drummer keeps the beat, and it is everyone's job to lock in with the drummer, not the other way around.

explain to everyone that in order for the band to sound like any kind of good band, you all need to learn each other's riffs. Sometimes it takes jamming the same riff for 30 mins straight, sometimes it means one member has to practice the riff alone for a while... however you get it done, you all need to know the parts.

if your band literally doesn't understand how to count, just explain it to them. 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 -1 - 2 - 3 - 4. Every beat is the same distance from the last one, and if you try to hold a note too long and mess up the count.

triggerhappy19
12-18-2007, 09:04 AM
im the lead singer/guitarist of a band and the other people havent been playing as long as i have. and i cant keep everyone on beat. is there anything i can do to prevent this ive tryed metronomes and play the same thing as them and they still cant keep a beat.

Slow every song down to a snails pace and play it with each person individually. Also, if the drummer isn't on beat, then nobody is going to be on beat. I'd suggest finding a new drummer in that case.