Auditioning for a band

PDA

View Full Version : Auditioning for a band

Retro Rocker
12-17-2007, 08:05 PM
Ok, howdy fellers.

Some time in the near future I'm going to be competing against 4 other dudes in a bid to get in a fairly established local band.

Apart from general things like being sociable with the band, learning the material asked, improving improvisation/theory skills for jamming, etc, what would you recommend is a good way to prepare yourself and help yourself to perform spot-on?

If this happens to get some good/intelligent responses I'll compile everything and make this a sort of mini-faq.

Cheers :cheers:

SSDDPunkRocker
12-17-2007, 08:09 PM
Keep in touch, and act very interested. Do a lot of research (as much as possible) on the band's history. They'll be suprised to know that you know what song in what show that the drummer broke 3 sticks. ;)

Tster
12-17-2007, 08:13 PM
Try to relate to their genres of music and try to be real easy going when your there.

bobthemonkey14
12-17-2007, 08:19 PM
Shred their faces off.

musiclover_92
12-17-2007, 11:58 PM
don't be stuck up but don't be too humble, be confidany and honest

jazz_croatia
12-18-2007, 03:24 AM
If they have originals and have a myspace, learn them all. You won't regret it.

SlackerBabbath
12-18-2007, 08:30 AM
Tell them you own a van, you're performance won't matter much after that. :D

Seriously though, learn any songs they ask you to learn. Maybe add little touches of your own to them to show that you can also contribute to their sound rather than just replace a former member. But don't go over the top with it, as that just makes you look pushy.

I've only ever had one audition. It was as a bass player in a band called 2504 (weird name if you ask me) and when I turned up, I was placed in a small room with two other bassists.
A door opened, a name was called, and the first guy walked in. Me and the other guy could hear playing for about 20 minutes, then the door opened again and I was called in.
Straight away, the drummer said, 'Hey, I've been in a band with him before, and he's the only bass player I've ever met that could keep up with me pint for pint. Send the other guy away, we'll have this guy!'
And that was that. I'd passed the audition without playing a single note and why? Because I could drink loads of beer.
:cheers:

sweet_requiem
12-18-2007, 08:37 AM
lesson learnt:

if there's a drunk auditioning aswell, you most likely wont get in. :P

i dunno, the best advice i could give is act like you seriously enjoy playing there stuff.

SlackerBabbath
12-18-2007, 08:55 AM
lesson learnt:

if there's a drunk auditioning aswell, you most likely wont get in. :P

:haha
I actualy felt really sorry for the guy who was sent away without getting a chance to play, and even asked them to audition him just to be fair, but they refused and said that if their drummer wanted me, (he was waaaaay more experienced than the rest of the band) then the rest of them wanted me too. So I gave the guy the phone number of the band I'd just left and he ended up joining them, and we've been good mates ever since.

And as it happened, I was recovering from a damaged liver at the time so I couldn't drink anyway. :D

VIRUSDETECTED
12-18-2007, 08:59 AM
Be clean. Don't shred unless it's a metal band. I was in an Indie band once, and someone who was shredding didn't get in because he was a 'speed-freak d-bag.' Play their genre and nothing else when you audition.

sweet_requiem
12-18-2007, 09:02 AM
to the guy above.

i don't think that's true.

you have to play the stuff they like, but throw in some of your stuff too, otherwise you'd be just like every other expendable guitarist, if you get big and you end up leaving you want people to notice the difference you made to that band.

SlackerBabbath
12-18-2007, 09:32 AM
to the guy above.

i don't think that's true.

you have to play the stuff they like, but throw in some of your stuff too, otherwise you'd be just like every other expendable guitarist, if you get big and you end up leaving you want people to notice the difference you made to that band.
Agreed.
If you can play in a number of styles, then you need to show them that you are competent in a number of styles, as this is always an advantage to any band.

FuzzyBear
12-18-2007, 10:34 AM
take a 6 pack of beers with you

that would win me over straight away

Hammerzeit
12-18-2007, 11:24 AM
If it were me,

Buy a van
Bring a 6 pack of beer (mentioned before)
Play something awesome. (if you're a guitarist, some thrash and then something chordy like mastodon. If you're a bassist, One of the metallica instrumentals, if you're a drummer, 13 9 Jazz fusion.)
Be keen but not tooo keen.
Be relaxed.

Dishburn
12-18-2007, 06:24 PM
Retro,

Bring a bag of decent bud...

No really, learn their stuff BEFORE you arrive. Try to go last in the audition line up. Right after you finish your audition, ask them "When do I start?" Also, tell them you know a lot of people that would follow you to gigs and support the venues that the band plays in. Tell them you will help with the bands overall promotion with email, text messages and website mailings concerning gigs. Good Luck.

If that doesn't work, tell them you g/f is really, really hot.

Dish

bobthemonkey14
12-18-2007, 06:27 PM
Bring a bag of decent bud...

That would win me over.

eltravo
12-18-2007, 07:31 PM
have amazing stage presence, and also be able to play while doing so.

DeathMask
12-29-2007, 12:46 AM
SSDDPunkRocker: four sticks by zeppelin?

I'm pretty sure Bonham broke his first stick, grabbed a set of sticks that were tied together and played with them, then broke his other stick, and grabbed another set.