starting a band

PDA

View Full Version : starting a band

SOAD_freak777
12-17-2007, 08:38 PM
So I have got a band together it's me on lead guitar and maybe vocals, another guy on rhythm, and a drummer (still looking for a bassist). We will be jamming for the first time tomorrow and I need any tips I can get on jamming and being in a band because this is my first one.

Vinnie9
12-17-2007, 08:41 PM
make sure you all can play at least one of the same songs in time - if your all playing different speeds...

jazz_croatia
12-18-2007, 04:44 AM
That is the best thing you can do. If you don't know a lot of theory and are not really experienced with your instruments just agree on a easy song that you all can play and try to practice it.

SlackerBabbath
12-18-2007, 08:43 AM
First of all, be patient.
It's not going to sound too good to start with, but if you pick some easy tunes to start with and just stick with them for a while, you should be OK.
Don't just pick one tune to practice, or you'll soon get bored of it and everything will start falling apart.
If you're practicing for around 3 hours (fairly standard rehearsal) then make sure you have a couple of short breaks where you all sit down and talk about what you've just been doing and exchange ideas that may improve your band.
Make sure that EVERYONE in the band takes the break at the same time, there's nothing more annoying than trying to have a conversation while some tit is playing their instrument at full belt.
Finaly, mistakes will happen, do NOT stop playing every time someone hits a bum note or steps out of time. Only stop if the tune has become irretrevable.
This way, you'll soon learn to think on your toes and will naturaly cover each others mistakes. This eventualy turns you into a tight unit.

SOAD_freak777
12-18-2007, 09:59 PM
That is the best thing you can do. If you don't know a lot of theory and are not really experienced with your instruments just agree on a easy song that you all can play and try to practice it.

I do know a lot of theory and am quite skilled with my instrument but how do I go about making a song?

Dunjma
12-18-2007, 10:48 PM
http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?forumid=69

this is the place to start if you want tips on writing, though you should practice playing with each other first before you write new songs

SlackerBabbath
12-19-2007, 07:14 AM
I do know a lot of theory and am quite skilled with my instrument but how do I go about making a song?
a) Come up with a tune
b) Write some words that fit the timing of the tune.
Or alternatively
a) Write some words (usualy they rhyme, but they don't nessecarily have to)
b) Come up with a tune that follows the timing of the words.

It really is as easy as that. ;)

SOAD_freak777
12-20-2007, 09:40 PM
a) Come up with a tune
b) Write some words that fit the timing of the tune.
Or alternatively
a) Write some words (usualy they rhyme, but they don't nessecarily have to)
b) Come up with a tune that follows the timing of the words.

It really is as easy as that. ;)
Thank you very much for the help.

SlackerBabbath
12-23-2007, 06:44 AM
Anytime bud. ;)

darthbuttchin
12-23-2007, 06:59 AM
If i were you, id just start with a couple of songs to get you all used to playing together. Easy ones, like The Who's Cant Explain or Smells Like Teen Spirit. Something that you can all play, or if not, can all learn pretty quick. Then jam on that.

Remember the key to jamming (in my opinion) is not to dominate it. If people on other instruments wanna solo then let them and dont try to play as loud as possible to drown them out. A kid at school plays piano and tryin to jam with him is impossible, as when you try to take the 'spotlight' he gets louder.

So yeah, hope that helped.

SlackerBabbath
12-23-2007, 08:16 AM
If i were you, id just start with a couple of songs to get you all used to playing together. Easy ones, like The Who's Cant Explain or Smells Like Teen Spirit. Something that you can all play, or if not, can all learn pretty quick. Then jam on that.

Remember the key to jamming (in my opinion) is not to dominate it. If people on other instruments wanna solo then let them and dont try to play as loud as possible to drown them out. A kid at school plays piano and tryin to jam with him is impossible, as when you try to take the 'spotlight' he gets louder.

So yeah, hope that helped.
That happens quite a lot with three piece bands or if just two people are jamming.
It's usualy because when one person hits a solo, it leaves an empty space in the backing that is usualy covered by the remaining musicians by either making the backing more complex or playing louder.
If you both play louder when you hit a solo, then it gives whatever you're playing a lift that's quite satisfying to an audience. But the secret is knowing when to turn back down again so as not to lose the natural dynamic of the tune.

darthbuttchin
12-23-2007, 04:34 PM
^ Agreed. However, when it is a large scale jam and many different instruments, it isnt necessarily the done thing to get louder.

Basically all i was tryin to say was that peopleshould ebgive equal chances during jams to show off lol. And that this kid who gets louder is a nob, lol.

davebain27
12-23-2007, 04:36 PM
Make sure the drummer doesent play while your trying to teach someone something. Trust me u will get very pissed off. haha

darthbuttchin
12-24-2007, 01:23 PM
Well anyone really. Or that when ur tryin to talk, others shut up the playin. Its really annoying when they play and ur tryin to ask or explain something to someone.

trey-col89
12-24-2007, 01:34 PM
Get a bass player. Trust me, a jam with two guitarists and a drummer but no bass player will be VERY unsatisfying.