Eric Clapton

PDA

View Full Version : Eric Clapton

ATR21
12-18-2007, 12:27 AM
Anyone else like the guitar in his song Layla?

I've made it a goal of mine to learn how to play this song someday.

claptonfan55
12-18-2007, 12:36 AM
Layla=sweet song. I've started trying to learn it, but I haven't worked on playing it enough. I should get back to that.

*runs and picks up guitar*

ATR21
12-18-2007, 12:41 AM
Layla=sweet song. I've started trying to learn it, but I haven't worked on playing it enough. I should get back to that.

*runs and picks up guitar*

LOL

I just looked at the full song tabs, HOLY HELL.
I think I'm gonna start with the intro then work my way to full song.
I've got alot to learn.

ECistheBest
12-18-2007, 12:44 AM
lol. that song's fun to play. it's hard to get it together in a band, but it's a nice song.

and the piano coda is awesome. i want to learn that part.

check out the live in LA 2001 concert DVD called "One More Car, One More Rider". that DVD rocks. also, if u dig clapton's materials in cream, get the "2005 Reunion Live at Royal Albert Hall" DVD as well. his tone in that gig sounds freaking incredible. i've recently acquired "Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007" DVD, and boy. he knows so many great musicians. but my favorite was when he played with steve winwood. awesome stuff. ;)

JilaX^
12-18-2007, 04:49 AM
Oh yeah, Layla is a sweet song.

I just wish Duane Allmans slide solo could've been a lot longer, could've been so good. But still, the piano part at the end is just amazing.

Ramblin'_Man
12-18-2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah... Duane ****ing rocks that song. The coda is pure goodness

Philbigtime
12-21-2007, 04:37 PM
Hah, I think the outro in that song is longer than the rest of the song itself. "Hey Jude" syndrome is what I call that. But it only works because it's great. And remember, as others have mentioned, the slide guitar in the outro is Duane Allman, not Eric Clapton.

rush5757
12-23-2007, 01:17 AM
Yep, it's a great song. I doubt there's anyone who would disagree, even death metalheads. it's just such a great song, whether or not your into the style. Definitely worth learning.

SuburbanCowboy
12-27-2007, 03:45 PM
Has anyone read Clapton's new autobiography? I just got it for christmas and I started reading it today (only 50 pages in so far). But I really like it so far and I'm impressed with his honesty, especially about embarrassing situations.

TUMFP
12-27-2007, 05:43 PM
Yeah^ I really enjoyed his honesty pertaining all of his faults. I was upset that it lacked a little bit on the music side, but it was about the man behind the music and was still a great read.

mopedman75
12-27-2007, 07:49 PM
clapton was saying in the book he was playing a gig with Cream and was really high on LSD or acid and thought that everyone in the crowd was angels and devils and he could influence who was an angel or devil based off of what notes he played on the guitar.

now that pretty crazy

CEREBRAL-INFERN
12-27-2007, 11:20 PM
I grew up listening to all of claptons stuff from the yardbird through to his quite pants pilgrim album lol i think he's an awesome guitarist, more to the fact that he was so influencing in his younger day, his playing bores me nowadays but his old stuff still gets me going

geetarmanic
12-27-2007, 11:46 PM
I enjoyed this early Clapton interview where he explains some of his guitar playing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rq6r23-le5o&NR=1

CEREBRAL-INFERN
12-28-2007, 02:16 AM
yeah i seen that before,

so funny how simple he explains it to the guy, but the guy is so ignorant he doesn't really understand, haha, but guitarists like clapton were breaking new grounds with that techniques and and the people needed to know

lol at him stamping on the wah pedal

geetarmanic
12-30-2007, 08:44 PM
^ If interested, that interview is transcribed along with guitar tabs towards the bottom of this web page (http://12bar.de/solocream.php).

Sly Taco
12-31-2007, 02:34 AM
i love how eric just pounds that pedal with his foot, good stuff

dr_john
12-31-2007, 04:52 AM
I grew up listening to all of claptons stuff from the yardbird through to his quite pants pilgrim album lol i think he's an awesome guitarist, more to the fact that he was so influencing in his younger day, his playing bores me nowadays but his old stuff still gets me going
agreed 100%.
'back home' was also a dreadful
album.

Blind In 1 Ear
12-31-2007, 12:54 PM
Anyone else like the guitar in his song Layla?

I've made it a goal of mine to learn how to play this song someday.

if you dont have it already, get the layla album. lots of good stuff on there. thats also around the time where i think his voice was at his best. a lot passion. i also have the crossroads box set and it has some unreleased stuff from the dominos. theres a fast version of tell the truth that i think is just awesome. the one on the album is cool but i think they should have gone with the faster one. but yea duane and erics playing on that album is pretty great along with just having great songs on it. its probably my favorite album right now. i think layla has always been my favorite song. i go through phases where i listen to another song or person non stop but i always come back to layla. i think its a song that most people can relate to. the whole album in that case.

darthbuttchin
01-04-2008, 06:35 AM
I was born just 6 days after Claptons Unplugged set was recorded, which was released when i was around 4 months old. My dad being a great Clapton fan got hold of it along with a couple of 'best of's' and so i was raised on clapton along with John Lee Hooker, BB King, Oasis and the Verve.

Layla is an amazing song. The Piano Coda is actually not my favourite idea though. I really have to be in the mood to listen to it though.

One of my favourite Layla renditions is the unplugged one. Mainly because of the opening line 'See if you can spot this one' No one really gets it until he begins to sing. Classic.

And Claptons voice on the Layla album is obviously going to be full of emotion and passion. Its an album full of love songs for Patti Boyd.

ColdGin
01-04-2008, 11:01 AM
One of my favourite Layla renditions is the unplugged one.

That was the original arrangement, without the swing, that EC showed Duane Allman, asking him what he thought could beef the song up to get it on the Derek and the Dominoes LP.

Eventually, Duane Allman came up with the signature double-triplet intro riff and told EC to speed it up at a fast rock tempo.

ze monsta
01-04-2008, 12:26 PM
That was the original arrangement, without the swing, that EC showed Duane Allman, asking him what he thought could beef the song up to get it on the Derek and the Dominoes LP.

Me and my brother bought a 45 of Derek and The Dominoes from 1970 with Layla on one side and Bell Bottom Blues on the other, along with some other Beatles stuff(not reissues!) unfortunately we can't listen to any of it, as we don't have a record player. :p:

MONSTA EDIT: clapton was saying in the book he was playing a gig with Cream and was really high on LSD or acid

LSD is the same thing as Acid. ;)
Just a common street name for LSD. And Clapton is a proper noun, therefore should have a capital letter. :p:

Bartisim0
01-05-2008, 02:28 AM
How about the acoustic version? That was the first song I ever learned and didn't even know the original existed!

geetarmanic
01-05-2008, 06:09 PM
I do like this acoustic version, a little different to the unplugged one: Eric Clapton - LAYLA [Acoustic] Live At Hyde Park (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXo3aNIcV4A&feature=related)

johnny_tapia
01-05-2008, 08:22 PM
I do like this acoustic version, a little different to the unplugged one: Eric Clapton - LAYLA [Acoustic] Live At Hyde Park (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXo3aNIcV4A&feature=related)
Nice ;)

fretsonfire74
01-06-2008, 12:03 AM
LOL

I just looked at the full song tabs, HOLY HELL.
I think I'm gonna start with the intro then work my way to full song.
I've got alot to learn.
its not that hard.
i can play it. then again, i have played since i was 4. don't mean to brag or anything lol.

Rawk Awn
01-06-2008, 11:41 PM
i picked up his autobiography this past week and had it read in about 3 nights. it's full of amazing stories and situations that i can't even imagine being a part of. if he'd included more pictures, that would have been great but the ones at the beginning of each chapter are pretty great. i absolutely love that man and all he's done for not only musicians but for humans in general. the Crossroads Centre is a project very close to his heart and i think it's awesome that he has invested so much of his own money into it. it makes me sad to think i missed out on seeing most of his career since i'm only turning 20 this month, but from what i've seen his playing has been refined into something truely amazing to watch and hear.

ColdGin
01-07-2008, 05:24 AM
the Crossroads Centre is a project very close to his heart...

At $20000 the basic 29 day rehab program, payable at admission, + cost of plane ticket, it ain't exactly cheap and for any kid, but it ain't outrageous either. Not for the typical working class who would need it most, though.

TNfootballfan62
01-07-2008, 09:31 PM
Layla is a good song. I would probably prefer the acoustic version if not for the wonderful slide guitar by Duane Allman.

SuburbanCowboy
01-08-2008, 12:37 PM
At $20000 the basic 29 day rehab program, payable at admission, + cost of plane ticket, it ain't exactly cheap and for any kid, but it ain't outrageous either. Not for the typical working class who would need it most, though.

The program was mostly designed for the troubled Antiguan locals, who he constantly encountered during his many trips there, not the American or British working classes. As far as I know, the locals dont pay to use the center.

Yeah, its expensive to get in if you're American or British. But that's a good thing, because otherwise every Clapton fan, with or without a drinking problem, would be there. It's sort of a "Robin Hood" scheme, as he mentions in the book. They take all of the money gained from high-profile clients and use that money to treat the locals.

ColdGin
01-08-2008, 03:14 PM
... They take all of the money gained from high-profile clients and use that money to treat the locals.

They tried to make me go to rehab, and I said, "No, no, no" ...
Cause when I feel the GAS, having spent my hard-earned cash, just one more loan, loan, loan...

http://www.guitarplayer.com/oldcontentimages/web/q/v/u/XR_PKG_Platinum.jpg

To honor and support the philanthropic efforts of legendary guitarist Eric Clapton, Fender® is collaborating with Clapton to create a very special limited edition guitar and amp package featuring the new Eric Clapton Crossroads Stratocaster® guitar and Crossroads ’57 Twin-Amp™.

The Eric Clapton Crossroads Stratocaster guitar, or “Sun Strat®” will be produced in a limited run of 100 instruments globally; the Crossroads ’57 Twin-Amps will number only 50. All profits from the project will benefit the Crossroads Centre, Antigua, the drug and alcohol addiction rehabilitation facility founded by Clapton on the small, idyllic Caribbean island in 1998.

Fifty of the guitars will be paired with the amps in exclusive Crossroads platinum packages for $30,000 each. The other 50 Crossroads guitars will be offered in packages for $20,000 each. The on-sale date is July 20, 2007 exclusively at www.fender.com—only eight days before Clapton’s monumental Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007 in Chicago on July 28.

Contribute or rehab ? Rehab or contribute ?

AAAAaaaaaarrrgggghhh !

The program was mostly designed for the troubled Antiguan locals,...

On a side note, if Antiguans, who number 70'000, need charities to get medical facilities in Antigua, with all the money poured in the local economy since 30 years through it's tourism business, (the list of regular "temporary" residents looks like the invitation roster to the Prince's Trust) is because none of the land or the business belongs to them. Not exactly an example of sound State Health policy, or, in fact, the perfect example of a government more at the service of private, wealthy interests than at the service of it's citizens.

SuburbanCowboy
01-08-2008, 03:30 PM
They tried to make me go to rehab, and I said, "No, no, no" ...

http://www.guitarplayer.com/oldcontentimages/web/q/v/u/XR_PKG_Platinum.jpg

Fifty of the guitars will be paired with the amps in exclusive Crossroads platinum packages for $30,000 each. The other 50 Crossroads guitars will be offered in packages for $20,000 each. The on-sale date is July 20, 2007 exclusively at www.fender.com—only eight days before Clapton’s monumental Crossroads Guitar Festival 2007 in Chicago on July 28.
[/i][/indent]

Contribute or rehab ? Rehab or contribute ?

AAAAaaaaaarrrgggghhh !

:eek:

Lets all pool our money together and get one...

...and keep it at my house :D

Rawk Awn
01-09-2008, 12:04 AM
he played that guitar live with John Mayer on NBC Evening News. They performed "Crossroads" and I must say, Clapton held back a little it seemed. Mayer outplayed him I thought, but both solos were tasty nonetheless.

ECistheBest
01-09-2008, 12:11 AM
he played that guitar live with John Mayer on NBC Evening News. They performed "Crossroads" and I must say, Clapton held back a little it seemed. Mayer outplayed him I thought, but both solos were tasty nonetheless.
yea i saw that too. and i understand what you're saying.

but as an opinion, clapton is real good, but Mayer isn't too bad. recently (when i got my Crossroads 08 DVD) i started respecting John Mayer.

JilaX^
01-09-2008, 04:00 AM
Hehe, yeah I saw that clip. It's really funny how Clatpons face is emotionless all the way through, except when John Mayer does his thing, that's when Clapton starts grinning. It's really awesome to watch them playt together.

johnny_tapia
01-10-2008, 02:04 PM
Lets all pool our money together and get one...

...and keep it at my house :D
:p:
I love watching that video. I agree about Mayer outplaying him aswell.

ze monsta
01-12-2008, 06:48 PM
Clapton > Mayer

I mean, Slowhand is just way better technically, especially his bends.
Though in saying this, I'm not putting Mayer down. Because despite not liking him, I can still recognise his talent.

:peace:

Rawk Awn
01-12-2008, 06:55 PM
when i first heard about Mayer, i thought "great, another pop guy/guitar holder" like so many others out there. but after i started seeing some live clips and he progressed a while, i ate my words. i respect his playing and his attempts to bring the blues out in the limelight again. his live concert with his trio is a favorite of mine. directv showed it over and over so i couldn't help but watch it!

ColdGin
02-10-2008, 04:13 AM
OOOoooooo, I've been going through a few Whitesnake Mk 1 tunes this week for a pair of British 70's revival gigs, and although I had early Whitesnake records blasting out of a walkman in a loop for months when they came out, it never struck me how much Bernie Marsden sounded like EC. Amazing !

Check out the solo of "Trouble", Mickey Moody playing the Gold Top, Marsden playing the 'burst.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtfQzG6_ASI

Carswell98
02-10-2008, 05:27 AM
Clapton > Mayer

I mean, Slowhand is just way better technically, especially his bends.
Though in saying this, I'm not putting Mayer down. Because despite not liking him, I can still recognise his talent.

:peace:

even though I like Mayer, I agree completely

and I found this earlier, the last minute almost had me in tears he sounds so sad, you can tell he lost someone really important to him

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_d96ngpR9TQ

it was a really good look into what eric clapton thinks like

ColdGin
02-10-2008, 12:07 PM
Clapton > Mayer

Comparing them is pointless.

Clapton spent his life exploring the blues, for the sake of understanding it's history and meaning, taking his time to follow paths, some he chose, others he didn't, that led him to where he is today, his quest obviously being not over yet.

John Mayer is a young man in a hurry to get somewhere, and by the number of different things he seems to like having going at the same time, his band, touring with celebrities, flipping through the Hollywood henhouse like I usually flip through a batch of 20 MIA strats, selling macs, i-phones, blackberries, cars, drugs, health magazines for corporate USA, trying out fashion creations, doing a lot of media sponsored events, made it in the spotlight doing blues numbers as more a matter of circumstances than his originality, as he would probably have found himself in the same situation today had he chosen to do rap or hip-hop.

http://www.macminute.com/images/db/mayerjobs
http://www.geocities.com/pica1dilly/jmvw.jpghttp://bp0.blogger.com/_ujWj4QJYo5I/R6j2-50Xf1I/AAAAAAAAJkI/kh2ePyk-uR8/s200/6.jpg
http://www.rimarkable.com/images/john_mayer_blackberry_tour.jpghttp://bp0.blogger.com/_ujWj4QJYo5I/R6jvr50XfxI/AAAAAAAAJjo/5rVXGMRr8oY/s400/d630_1.JPG

One thing for sure is, from this thread on a busy JM forum, John Mayer has a serious thing going on with Moms, most of them strongly objecting to the idea of their own daughters dating John Mayer, not because they're afraid of any Stagger Lee like reputation, but because they consider it like casting the pearl, JM himself that is, before swine.

http://johnmayer.yuku.com/topic/380/t/Moms-for-Mayer.html

I wonder what would be the chances of getting a Moms for Leadbelly group going.

Times, they sure are a-changing.

But surely I'm ranting, so I'll let EC himself tell it a lot better than me...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=16lT5v57DLE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5eBZeqmH2Q

All along this path I tread
My heart betrays my weary head
With nothing but my soul to save
From the cradle to the grave