I gotta bve a Frontman!

PDA

View Full Version : I gotta bve a Frontman!

Imafrog
12-20-2007, 05:53 AM
hey guys, just a question about singing in a band.

My band has only done a couple of cover gigs, very low key, none of which where our "own" gig. We have a chick singer, who is 16 and has just got an apprenticeship, and may not be able to continue. Now, don't get me wrong, shes a great singer, but the material we have been working on is really demanding of a guy singer, and basically all our covers have guys singing in the original. her voice just can't pull off for instance "prisoner of society" by the living end.

So, I have been asked to have a bash at singing, which I would love to be able to do, but I'm not sure if I have a halfway decent voice or not. I am very wary of the trap that so many of my friends bands have fallen into... having a crap singer and not realising it. Forn instance... my drummer friends band is awesome... the guitarist is very creative and the instrumental part for the songs is stuff with real potential, but the lead singer 9the guitarist - its a 3 piece) just can't sing! He just can't carry the tune! I am also wary that not only the covers, but any original material we write woudl have to be suitable for my voice, which may still possibly change.

I have been in an "audition to get in" choir/vocal ensemble" before as an alto, and I ThINK I'm OK, but I was wondering if you guys know any thing that will improve my voice short of full on lessons, which I can't afford or fit in around sport at the mo... Also, any easy songs to sing AND play guitar would be nice, and i can just capo it up.... Thanks in Advance! :) :) :)

jazz_croatia
12-20-2007, 06:13 AM
You should get lessons. That's important. Don't underestimate singing as a instrument of it's own. Try and practice as much as you can (scales, intonation, actual songs) and you should be good.

SlackerBabbath
12-20-2007, 09:56 AM
As you sing, tense your stomach muscles, and remember to breathe. ;)

Zycho
12-20-2007, 04:21 PM
There's a lot more to singing then just having a good voice. A lot of people find this out the hard way.

Dishburn
12-20-2007, 06:54 PM
You've gotta buy some leather pants and learn to do the helicopter with a microphone.

Dish

Imafrog
12-20-2007, 09:42 PM
lol

SlackerBabbath
12-22-2007, 07:22 AM
You've gotta buy some leather pants and learn to do the helicopter with a microphone.

Dish

True.
To do the helicopter with a mic stand, pick it up, unscrew the head piece of the stand (the clip that the microphone itself is attached to) slightly by holding the clip and turning the stand clockwise a couple of turns, then at the right moment, while holding on to the mic clip, throw the other end in the air while spinning it anti-clockwise. :D

Feel bad inc.
12-22-2007, 09:50 AM
If you really wanna improve, you do need some form of lessons. Also sing in a choir, sing along to songs while they are on your radio or cd or ipod etc. Just generaly sing and you will get better. Also play the notes along on your guitar at the same time you sing them if you know the notes. helps you get in tune..

Sonic Blast
12-22-2007, 03:39 PM
I've sung in all of my previous bands. Try to sing songs that are not strenuous for your multitasking. And keep your range. Even when your voice changes still sing up so you can preserve those precious high notes. You'll realize their importance later on. It's a real pain to not be able to sing something you could sing two years ago. Lessons are good. And choirs are always a big plus. Once you can carry a tune well then you're well on your way. Don't let the singing overwhelm you though. Like playing your guitar, when you get in the groove your words will come out very easily and smoothly. This is where you want to be. And don't forget to always practice!

SlackerBabbath
12-23-2007, 05:12 AM
^ Yeah, I gotta agree with both of those posts.
I was in the school choir (both primary and high school) and the church choir (even though I'm not religious in the slightest) and these taught me control and how to harmonise.