Equipment

PDA

View Full Version : Equipment

cashewchaching
12-20-2007, 09:58 PM
I'm a band noob, never been in one, but am looking to start one.
We'd be a ska band, and so we'd need a couple mics for horns, two or three vocal mics, drum mics, etc. I'm guessing about four monitors, cables to go with, a few xlr cables for mics. Now, would we need a small mixer of some kind to patch them all together? how would we amplify the vocals? and what does a PA system do?

thanks.

Mettliccaa
12-20-2007, 10:02 PM
Well if its your first band do you really need to get that technical?
When I gig its nothing major biggest has been in an auditorium of 2000. We had a amp for guitar and bass and the place had mic already so we just used those and drummers are loud enough. unless your giggin any bigger than that I wouldn't really worry about it. The sounds balances out pretty good on its own. PA system is for the vocals.

cashewchaching
12-20-2007, 10:11 PM
i just want information. funds will come eventually, i have a job. like, what dose a PA do? and if we are getting that technical, what should we do to be simpler?

EDIT: so most places, they will have the mics there already? will they have a mixer too, and we play through the house system? these may be simple questions, but it's better to ask them now, than to get into them without knowing what we're doing.

Mettliccaa
12-20-2007, 10:18 PM
PA i do believe is called a personal amplifier (basically an amp) usually used for vocals but you could run guitar and bass and drums though a mixer into the PA.

EDIT: Places that often have bands play will probably have mics there and if they have mics its possible that they have a mixer.

cashewchaching
12-20-2007, 10:28 PM
will venues have that there?

Mettliccaa
12-20-2007, 10:32 PM
If by venues you mean like auditoriums/theaters then yes most likely. (Up here i dont think we ever use the word venues)