rehearsing

PDA

View Full Version : rehearsing

Dunjma
12-22-2007, 03:34 AM
what would be the best way to rehearse a song with your band?

i had a practice with our first song the other day and it was really strange. everyone kept going in and out of time, so after a few bars we were all over the place. i realize that practice is a must, but is there a way that we should be going about this. any response is greatly appreciated.

ZootCst
12-22-2007, 03:44 AM
Practice with a metronome.

MentalityBand
12-22-2007, 03:45 AM
As the primary songwriter for Mentality, I treat songs like an elaborate plan.
I work with each person individually, give them the tabs, the music to play with, and then bring us all together.

Most people just practice it over and over ad infinitum, which also works very well.
Just keep at it, it's normal to not be flawless - though check to make sure nobody in your band is tone-deaf first...

axemanchris
12-22-2007, 11:34 AM
Here is how pro bands do it. If that's not you yet, this will at least give you a perspective on how it *should* go.

First - It is assumed that everyone is competent on their instrument. You can't play a song as a band if even one person doesn't have the chops to play the song on their own. Nobody has to be a prodigy unless you're doing Dream Theater or whatever - just competent.

Second - It is assumed that everyone does their 'homework.' You've got recordings for everyone. You brought the recordings home, listened and played along with the recordings a bunch of times, made notes with pencil and paper as to how the arrangement goes, and can now play through the song yourself without the aid of the recording. You can't play a song as a band if members aren't organized themselves enough play the song on their own.

Third - Once you can get through the song without any train-wrecks, DON'T keep going through the whole song ad nauseum. Pick apart what needs work - maybe it's the bridge, maybe it's the backing vocals in the chorus, maybe it's the transition between the verse into the chorus. Work on those individual pieces of the song a bunch of times. Once you're happy that you have fixed the problems, THEN go back and play the whole song a couple of times to see how it is sitting. Then pick it apart again and "lather, rinse, repeat" as I like to say.

With those two things in place, you WILL get through the song - if not the first time, at least the second. We did this ourselves just this week - three songs we had never played together before nailed and performance ready in less than two hours.

With less experienced musicians even, the problem is not usually #1, but is usually #2. People *think* they know the song because they can play along with the main riffs, but tend to not know how the transitions go, have no idea of the arrangement, etc.

CT

Ben Godden
12-22-2007, 04:52 PM
axemanchris i sing you praises
best bit of advice i have ever read!!!

Dozza
12-22-2007, 05:35 PM
I'm sure there are plenty of 'pro bands' that don't do it that way though... but it seems like a good method.

axemanchris
12-23-2007, 12:12 AM
I'm sure there are plenty of 'pro bands' that don't do it that way though... but it seems like a good method.

Hmmm.... what methods do you figure they would use?

CT

PS- Thanks, Ben!

SlackerBabbath
12-23-2007, 06:36 AM
I've never met a pro-band or been in a pro-band that didn't.
What axemanchris said is perfectly correct.
You go through the song together to start with to see how much of it everyone knows, and which bits need working on.
Then you discuss it, to get everyone on the same page.
Then go through just the bits that need working on until they sound right. Otherwise you're wasting valuable rehearsal time.
Then you do the whole song again 3 times. Once to try it out, once to commit it to memory, and once just for the fun of it. :D
If it still doesn't sound right, you go back to the beginning of the process and keep doing it until it does sounds right.
Of course, if this happens there comes a point where everyone is getting completely cheesed off with it. At this moment (and it will be apparent when it happens) it's a good idea to jam through something else that you know inside out, just to give everyone a break and a mental boost, then go back to the song you were working on.