When bandmembers are in short order...

PDA

View Full Version : When bandmembers are in short order...

Sonic Blast
12-22-2007, 03:32 PM
I've been without a band for some time now. My bassist moved away last summer. There are two drummers I would enjoy working with, but my city is a lunch line with an absence of good bassists. Is it a good idea to train a new one? (I can play bass as well as guitar but don't have one.) Or should I just wait for someone new to move in? Any ideas?

Sound Mind
12-22-2007, 03:41 PM
you play bass and find another guitarist. that shouldn't be too hard to do.

Sonic Blast
12-22-2007, 03:45 PM
Well, I don't have a bass or else I might do that. And after buying my half-stack I'm not about to buy a bass and an amp. So therein lies the problem. I just need to get a bassist. Would teaching a bad bassist be a good idea?

Sound Mind
12-22-2007, 03:55 PM
if you can't find one then you don't really have a choice.

Scourge441
12-22-2007, 03:58 PM
Find a bassist out of your area, maybe? Not too far, but just in a neighboring town or something. If you/the bassist can't drive, make sure you can get a ride from someone.

SlackerBabbath
12-23-2007, 06:58 AM
Training up a new member can actualy be very rewarding. You get to know whoever you're teaching very well (always an advantage when you're in a band with them) and you eventualy end up with a musician that compliments your style, because you trained him.
The down side is that everyone else in the band is going to have to be very patient until he's improved closer to everyone elses profficiency, but with the right guy, it can be well worth it.
I know this because I've done it myself a couple of times.

Black Star
12-23-2007, 10:52 AM
Training up a new member can actualy be very rewarding. You get to know whoever you're teaching very well (always an advantage when you're in a band with them) and you eventualy end up with a musician that compliments your style, because you trained him.
The down side is that everyone else in the band is going to have to be very patient until he's improved closer to everyone elses profficiency, but with the right guy, it can be well worth it.
I know this because I've done it myself a couple of times.

Agreed. I had the same problem as you, TS. I trained my friend to play bass (she was a guitarist), and now we compliment each others styles perfectly.

vacancy33
12-24-2007, 11:35 AM
it could work good to train him because i trained my drummer in my band and he is pretty good now