rhythm guitar

PDA

View Full Version : rhythm guitar

SOAD_freak777
12-23-2007, 07:04 PM
So I have been writing a lot of guitar parts for my band which will be starting soon. I have come up with some excellent riffs using the harmonic minor scale. But I don't really know what my rhythm guitar player is supposed to do while I play my riffs. Any advice on what the rhythm guitar player should play?

bryceh
12-23-2007, 07:08 PM
lets say you play a harmonic minor scale in the form of E. Well, he should play a chord progression, starting with an E, but all the chords after E have to be in the scale that you are playing. Kinda Confusing, but you'll get the hang of it. Then you gotta worry about gettin the rhythm of your friends playing down, and knowing when to upstroke, downstroke. good luck

Garettenator
12-23-2007, 07:09 PM
Well if you plan on Lead guitar/singing dont be a dick. Write the Rhythem for yourself and sing. That way the rhythem guitarist doesnt feel like crap. Im a firm believer in this method though. Unless its a 3 piece. Anyways You should have a rhythem set before elad guitar.

zian615
If its just harmonic minor just play power chords over it.

Also, is it possible to still have a unique "excellent" riff using just harmonic minor? (not intended to sound deriding)

Lil Macker
He could play the riff along with ya, if you're stuck for ideas.

frigginjerk
12-23-2007, 07:29 PM
if you want to make it simple, just have him play in the general key of your scale (if you play G harmonic minor, he plays the key of G minor), and just make sure that there aren't any chords that clash with your riff.

another idea is not to get bogged down creating uber-compelx "correct" chord parts for your riffs. Maybe all that's required is a G power chord over and over, with change to a D at the end of the part... the rhythm wouldn't be playing specifically G harmonic minor, but wouldn't be playing anything that doesn't fit under that scale.

harmonic and melodic minor scales are designed to help chord progressons feel more natural when playing in minor keys. if you look at the interval patterns, a harmonic minor is just a minor scale with a major 7th, and a melodic minor scale is a minor scale with both a major 7th and a major 6th.

let's put it this way: don't play a lot of minor 7th chords when playing harmonic minor.

SOAD_freak777
12-23-2007, 07:40 PM
if you want to make it simple, just have him play in the general key of your scale (if you play G harmonic minor, he plays the key of G minor), and just make sure that there aren't any chords that clash with your riff.

another idea is not to get bogged down creating uber-compelx "correct" chord parts for your riffs. Maybe all that's required is a G power chord over and over, with change to a D at the end of the part... the rhythm wouldn't be playing specifically G harmonic minor, but wouldn't be playing anything that doesn't fit under that scale.

harmonic and melodic minor scales are designed to help chord progressons feel more natural when playing in minor keys. if you look at the interval patterns, a harmonic minor is just a minor scale with a major 7th, and a melodic minor scale is a minor scale with both a major 7th and a major 6th.

let's put it this way: don't play a lot of minor 7th chords when playing harmonic minor.

I know quite a bit of theory and can handle making a chord progression in this key. It's just I have never played with other people so I don't know how rhythm works.
I made this progression (it's in G Harmonic Minor) G mmaj7> D aug> Am7b5> F# aug
So if I am in 4/4 time quarter notes, just one chord per beat for 4 beats then switch chords? I'm just a bit confused on how to make a rhythm with chords.

godisasniper
12-28-2007, 09:00 PM
I am working on a project with my little brother in which I play pretty much everything, including all guitar parts. I tend to either have the rhythm play the same thing, just up one octave or with different effects, or I play a single powerchord riff to the same rhythm.