Fast Down Picking

PDA

View Full Version : Fast Down Picking

Flying Afros
12-23-2007, 11:36 PM
i'm trying to do songs like creeping death, battery, and fight fire with fire by metallica, and those all use fast down strokes. are there any kind of exercises i could practice to build up this speed and accuracy?

fixationdarknes
12-23-2007, 11:41 PM
I don't see why it's such a big mystery. If you want to get better at downstrokes, practice downstrokes! It's not that difficult of a concept.

The same principle always applies...start slowly, then accelerate the bpm over time. Practice the songs you want to learn, but slow them down a ton at first.

hightension01
12-23-2007, 11:41 PM
um its called alternate picking dont ever try to just down pick a really fast section of a song your just limiting yourself

cptazad
12-23-2007, 11:42 PM
i'm trying to do songs like creeping death, battery, and fight fire with fire by metallica, and those all use fast down strokes. are there any kind of exercises i could practice to build up this speed and accuracy?

download the guitar pro/powertabs of those songs you just listed, change the tempo settings to about 1/2-3/4 full speed and build your practice up from there, there's really no good exercise for fast down picking, you just kinda develop it over time. for me it was learning how to play lamb of god stuff, at the time (back then) i didn't much care for alternate picking (more-so because i couldn't do it without sound sloppy) so i downpicked EVERYTHING i played and it really built up my downstrokes, you just gotta play it I guess to build it

fixationdarknes
12-23-2007, 11:43 PM
um its called alternate picking dont ever try to just down pick a really fast section of a song your just limiting yourself

Sorry, but you don't sound very educated. Downpicking is a technique in itself, just like alternate picking is. So don't merely tell someone to avoid downpicking as it is useful to learn.

jpgilbert701
12-23-2007, 11:44 PM
I don't think down picking battery is physically possible.

Flying Afros
12-23-2007, 11:46 PM
you obviously dont know how they play these songs.

and thanks to everyone else for the advice, much appreciated

Ultimate_Gio92
I don't think down picking battery is physically possible.

yeah i know for sure he gallops the main riff. He cant down pick that.. its not humanly possible

sum_ugly_man

no, just no.You should be able to do both. Before i thought the same way, but then i realized that downstrokes and upstrokes have a different sound to it, and in some positions you use only downstrokes to get a nicer sound out of it. Master of puppets for example, play it with alternate picking, and now play it with all downstrokes and you'll see the difference.

You should really concentrate on your alternate picking till you have nailed it, and then just to make your muscles stronger and get them used to using all downstrokes, play master of puppets really slowly, it did it for me, and I'm pretty sure it will do it for you.

cheers and good luck

- Ugly :peace:

Flying Afros
12-23-2007, 11:48 PM
thanks

Zero_Mike
12-23-2007, 11:50 PM
Plant your wrist on the bridge, relax and open your lower 3 fingers, and go for it. Fast downstrokes for extended passages is just something you gotta build up to. Start with Master of Puppets.

The Virtuoso
12-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Another good song to practice down picking with is Trivium's Like Light To Flies, even if you don't like them or the song, it's great practice for down picking. Another suggestion, maybe lift weights a bit, or wank it man; both of those really build the muscles necessary for down picking in my opinion. :cheers:

DaddyTwoFoot
12-23-2007, 11:55 PM
Just grab a metronome and practice. Make sure you're keeping your arm relaxed to prevent strain and tension.

sum_ugly_man
12-24-2007, 12:00 AM
And one more thing, always take breaks, this technique can be very tiring, first time i tried, i overdid it, and couldn't move my hand for a while

Flying Afros
12-24-2007, 12:22 AM
my triceps start to hurt after a while lol

SHRED_GOD
12-26-2007, 05:25 AM
its called GUITAR SPEED TRAINER go download it and if it doesnt help well ur stuffed..........