Need some advice

PDA

View Full Version : Need some advice

Jarrett#4
12-24-2007, 01:12 AM
I've been playing guitar for maybe a year and a half now... I'm completely self taught and have never had any classes. Me and my friend (He started playing guitar same time as me) are starting up a band. We don't know a lot of the scales but we have learned a few threw youtube and similar sites.

My question is when writing music is it best to know all your scales? I've been reading a lot and everything I read says something about knowing your scales. When we write music we basically just play what we here in our minds then we will make some adjustments on harmonizing and all that stuff. Would it be very beneficial if we knew more scales and if so how would it be beneficial?

Thank you for your help in advance... we are planning on taking classes but with college, work and practice it's hard to find time.

Rabada
12-24-2007, 01:15 AM
You don't NEED to know scales, it just helps.

axemanchris
12-24-2007, 01:17 AM
Knowing your theory, scales, etc. is a great way of working as efficiently as possible.

My perspective on writing is this - find a melody and some lyrics to go with it. The rest is just dressing. I can come up with riffs all day long, but finding a melody that fits with the lyrics... that is the hard part, but it is also the meat and potatoes of the song.

When you copyright a song, you are copyrighting the words and melody. You don't copyright the drum beat, chord progression, bass line, etc. That stuff is all considered more production and arrangement than it is composition.

Stop the average person on the street and ask them their favourite song, and then ask them how it goes. They won't mimic back a guitar riff. They'll sing the chorus, or a particular hook from the verse. THAT is what sells the song.

... and you don't need theory to sing a bunch of words to a melody.

CT

GentlyWeeps
12-24-2007, 01:18 AM
Well if you're writing like, songs, chords are probably more important then scales. You don't usually just hear a 5 minute guitar solo on the radio :U. Unless you're going instrumental (which I do NOT suggest if you're going to be a two guitar duo, that type of thing TENDS to fail). But if you're going to like play songs with a drummer and vocalist, and just do rock stuff, then meh just pentatonic and dorian and major. Like I said learn chords and triads and stuff.

Jarrett#4
12-24-2007, 01:22 AM
Alright thanks for your help... We can find melodies and stuff but we weren't sure if it was necessary to know your scales or what not. Hopefully we can find an instructor that will kind of work with our schedule so we can learn them

Jarrett#4
12-24-2007, 01:24 AM
Well if you're writing like, songs, chords are probably more important then scales. You don't usually just hear a 5 minute guitar solo on the radio :U. Unless you're going instrumental (which I do NOT suggest if you're going to be a two guitar duo, that type of thing TENDS to fail). But if you're going to like play songs with a drummer and vocalist, and just do rock stuff, then meh just pentatonic and dorian and major. Like I said learn chords and triads and stuff.
Yeah we know quite a few chords and what not.... We try to harmonize a bunch of our main riffs. Were in a Metal / Metalcore band