correct way to hold bass neck

PDA

View Full Version : correct way to hold bass neck

shdowfox17
12-25-2007, 05:34 PM
which way is the proper way to hold the neck?

Deliriumbassist
12-25-2007, 05:35 PM
Using the thumb as a pivot point.

shdowfox17
12-25-2007, 05:38 PM
is the wrist supposed to be at a certain angle or something?
becuase if i use the thumb as a pivot point,my wrist gets bent a weird way.
im sure that if i use it that way for along time,itll start hurting..

webbtje
12-25-2007, 05:39 PM
Do it the way where it doesn't hurt. That's the right way. Make sure you're not actually gripping the neck, as you would a broom or something, and that's about it. It's all about whether it hurts you or not.

Smidgelton
12-25-2007, 05:43 PM
is the wrist supposed to be at a certain angle or something?
becuase if i use the thumb as a pivot point,my wrist gets bent a weird way.
im sure that if i use it that way for along time,itll start hurting..
You may need to adjust your strap to a height in which your hand feels most natural on the neck.

Charlatan_001
12-25-2007, 05:43 PM
I don't want to be a dick, but you've made like 10 posts on really basic stuff today. Couldn't you just have made ONE thread with all these questions?

Also, please look at the Bass FAQ...

shdowfox17
12-25-2007, 05:48 PM
just want to learn stuff and get it all right...
thats one reason UG is here,no?
to help out?
you dont have to answer if you dont want to...
jeez..

Deliriumbassist
12-25-2007, 05:49 PM
to help out?
jeez..

Well, the FAQ DOES answer a shedload of questions tbf. No point making athread if it's answered in there. Although this isn't thread isn't covered.

Waters?
12-25-2007, 05:51 PM
Thumb should usually be directly behind the middle finger, being the pivot so you can move along.

sammcl-15
12-25-2007, 05:57 PM
Use your thumb as a pivot, never let it ontop of the fretboard, if it hurts, you could be playing to low, or you've done damage to your wrist. It does take a bit of getting used to.

Charlatan_001
12-25-2007, 05:57 PM
to help out?
jeez..

That's not my point. I'm just saying that in the future, please try to keep your questions concise, eg in one or two threads, as opposed to making 15 threads on questions that can be answered in one or two posts.

EDIT: Sammcl pretty much got it dead on.

jesusgonewrong
12-25-2007, 05:59 PM
With your schlong.

In true bass style.

shdowfox17
12-25-2007, 06:02 PM
thanks
ill use those suggestions :D

guylee
12-26-2007, 12:44 AM
With your schlong.

In true bass style.

yes. be "the amazing **** slap bassist"

on the other hand, i once heard someone on here say that you should hold it like it's a gordita. He was truly amazing, but i can't remember who he is.

thefitz
12-26-2007, 01:28 AM
I said this once before - you should hold then neck like it was a crunchwrap supreme. Keep your thumb at the back, like said before, and have one finger per each fret, right beside the frets, so you can feel the side of them. Also, make ****ing positive your fingers are parallel to the frets/perpendicular to the strings.

Or, do whatever you want man, as long as it makes you happy, whatever you can make work, there's no wrong technique, and there's no decisive answer for anything.

Revelation
12-26-2007, 01:44 AM
yup fitz has got it. the first bit is the actual correct technique but i have a bad left wrist and if i play that way i have to use a wrist brace for days afterward so my fingers are just barely not parallel to the frets.

Marcel Veltman
12-26-2007, 06:01 AM
Two more additional tips.
Make sure that you don't actually HOLD the neck. The bass should be neatly balanced hanging on the strap with no tendency to droop its head so your fretting hand is free to move around.
Second; be sure the bass is hanging on the proper heigth before your body. Too high or too low will stress the sinews and muscles in your fretting hand too much, maybe even beyond the brink of destruction. It's a point to be taken seriously. I know of musicians who had to quit because of wrong playing postures resulting into permanent injury. Having your plucking fingers on level with your belt buckle is a nice starting point from which to figure out the posture most convenient for you.

anarkee
12-26-2007, 12:50 PM
Make sure that you don't actually HOLD the neck. .

+1. Never play without a strap, even when sitting down. Your fretting hand should be working at fretting not supporting your instrument. This can hold you back in so many ways and unknowingly strain your wrist as well, because you will tend to "lock" your wrist to support your instrument.