So..We're Playing an Anniversary...

PDA

View Full Version : So..We're Playing an Anniversary...

Ben Wright
12-26-2007, 05:55 PM
And we need to play 10-ish 'anniversary' songs. This means no metal or heavy rock. We need songs that are modern and catchy. We have a couple of Beatles songs which are 'Day Tripper' and 'Hard Days Night' and don't really want to do any more Beatles songs. I was thinking songs such as 'Helicopter' by Bloc Party and just generally need suggestions on songs like that. Any ideas?

Wrst_Plyr_Evr
12-26-2007, 06:05 PM
"I still remember" by Bloc Party

relatively easy and amazingly good.

Freunleven
12-26-2007, 06:40 PM
"Wonderful Tonight" by Eric Clapton and "Nothing Else Matters" by Metallica

:satan:

axemanchris
12-26-2007, 08:44 PM
Love Stinks - J Geils Band.
Is She Really Going Out With Him - Joe Jackson

:lol:

CT

NewsoftheWorld
12-26-2007, 08:55 PM
Some Queen songs.

Freunleven
12-26-2007, 11:33 PM
"Can't Help Falling In Love" and "Love Me Tender" by Elvis Presley
"Far Away" by Nickelback
"The Reason" by Hoobastank

I'm running out of ideas here . . . . . :satan:

pandora_grunt
12-27-2007, 05:35 AM
Well throw in your own version of Happy Birthday for some humor in your gig.

jazz_croatia
12-27-2007, 06:22 AM
Would you play some funk? If your answer is ye try something by Sly and the Family Stone, Stevie Wonder or James Brown if you please.

SlackerBabbath
12-27-2007, 08:44 AM
Practicaly any rock 'n' roll classic from Chuck Berry, Jerry Lee Lewis, Elvis, ect. Soul stuff from people like James Brown, Aretha Franklin, especialy anything featured on the Blues Brothers film.
And anything catchy that's been released since 1950.
It HAS to be catchy though as the idea is to get as many people up dancing and keep them there as long as you can.

Freunleven
12-28-2007, 03:16 PM
Just one request, Ben Wright: post your finalized set list for us here, to see if anything we've suggested actually gets used. Also, it might prove educational for us.

Thanks. :satan:

Lams
12-28-2007, 10:17 PM
dude, you still have to play birthday by the beatles.

Ramco
12-29-2007, 12:03 AM
There are loads of great 70s and 80s pop rock songs that are all about love lasting forever. Cheesy? Maybe, but I'm sure that nearly everyone there - especially the couple celebrating the anniversary - will love it. You don't have to play Air Supply, Journey or REO Speedwagon (but it helps!); maybe try some ballads from some harder edged bands, or anything with a rocking beat and "baby" or "girl" in the title. It's really up to you what you'd want to play, since what I've just described fits just about every rock song from the 70s and 80s.

My personal recommendation of bands to consider covering:
38 Special
Badfinger
The Guess Who
Loverboy
Steve Miller Band
Foreigner
Huey Lewis and the News

Ben Wright
12-29-2007, 07:07 PM
Just one request, Ben Wright: post your finalized set list for us here, to see if anything we've suggested actually gets used. Also, it might prove educational for us.

Thanks. :satan:
Yeah I will do. I took the advice about Wonderful Tonight By Clapton. I can already play and sing it so it shouldn't be too hard to do. I will post the final set list nearer the occasion when we have a definite list of songs. Cheers for your help so far everybody and keep these recommendations coming. Thanks. ;)

Steve The Plank
12-29-2007, 08:09 PM
Definitely 'Play That Funky Music, White Boy' by Wild Cherry. That would go down SO well.
Maybe Smooth, by Santana too.

Both songs can be found covered by a really good local band from my school here:
http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=199329242

itchy guitar
12-29-2007, 11:55 PM
more than words-extreme

Guitar_Dan_666
12-30-2007, 02:46 PM
Chasing Cars - Snow Patrol

CoolDudeMorgasm
12-30-2007, 09:29 PM
One word; Journey.

timi_hendrix
01-02-2008, 07:09 PM
One word; Journey.

YES.

Ben Wright
02-25-2008, 05:22 PM
Ok. I was asked earlier to show the set-list for the anniversary. We have to nail 10 songs and the gigs in a few weeks. I was just wondering what you guys thought of the songs we have so far. We have to make sure that the music we play is fit for an anniversary so I'm afraid there can be no Dethlok (sp) or Lamb Of God :p:
so....

Little By Little - Oasis
The Importance of Being Idle - Oasis
Hard Days Night - The Beatles
Day Tripper - The Beatles
I Believe In a Thing Called Love - The Darkness
Helicopter - Bloc Party
Pink Elephants - Jacks Bass (my bands own song created by the lead guitarist, its an instrumental)

Thats it so far. Comments? :)

Gareththomson=)
02-25-2008, 06:08 PM
I Would Replace Helicopter (Though its a brilliant song) with squeeze - up the junction they'll love it trust me. :) good luck whatever you do.

littledude65
02-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Falling for the First Time - Barenaked Ladies