Crowd interaction

PDA

View Full Version : Crowd interaction

skippertipper
12-28-2007, 08:56 PM
My band has a show tomorrow, and we're indie. Problem is, there is a 2 minute song with just piano and drums, and our guitarist has nothing to do, and i play bass but i'll do nothing with him. We know he could jsut sit for two minutes but we want something incredibly epic and remarkable to do. We thought about makin pancakes and giving them to the crowd, but none of us has a pancake maker lol.

Suggestions?

VIRUSDETECTED
12-28-2007, 09:02 PM
Crowd surf?

Redsx158
12-28-2007, 09:03 PM
walk off the stage and let the pianist and drummer have their moment?

third-eye
12-28-2007, 09:03 PM
do a funky dance?

teachmyself
12-28-2007, 09:06 PM
hand out bottles of water...

Mettliccaa
12-28-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah if he does something epic the crowd will likely ignore whoever's playing. Then you got mad band memebers.

Lams
12-28-2007, 10:14 PM
pee on the crowd, masturbate on the crow, have sex with the crowd, do drugs with the crowd, gay kissing, show your butt to the crowd, set your instruments on fire, get some girls to the stage, get a tatoo on stage, set a flag on fire, etc etc

alex_1422
12-28-2007, 10:18 PM
pee on the crowd, masturbate on the crow, have sex with the crowd, do drugs with the crowd, gay kissing, show your butt to the crowd, set your instruments on fire, get some girls to the stage, get a tatoo on stage, set a flag on fire, etc etc

There are actually some ok ideas in there. Just don't do the following, its either illegal or disturbing:
Pee
masturbate
sex with crowd
gay kissing (from a mans standpoint)
butt
:no:

Lams
12-28-2007, 10:22 PM
well, its illegal in your country and disturbing in your moral values. you dont know about him.
and anyway, its because it is illegal and disturbing that it is EPIC! true rockers go to jail.

VIRUSDETECTED
12-28-2007, 10:25 PM
true rockers go to jail.

:no:

Inflames1080
12-28-2007, 10:26 PM
Pancakes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Me2NiK
12-28-2007, 10:27 PM
I support the gay kissing initiative.
You wanna do something they'll remember; that's what stange antics are all about.

outlaw metaler
12-28-2007, 10:27 PM
just walk off the stage and get a drink of water
re tune your guitars IDK

lolmnt
12-28-2007, 10:33 PM
Dance or just stand there

RedMoonMan
12-28-2007, 11:27 PM
you should just have him stand right up front in the middle of the stage staring into the crowd and not moving, freak them all out

Forkman
12-29-2007, 12:24 AM
Pretend your guitars are swords and have sword fights with them.

Ramco
12-29-2007, 12:47 AM
Sneak up behind members of the audience and scare them. Scary masks would be a definite plus!

axemanchris
12-29-2007, 12:53 AM
Stab yourself in the eye with a cucumber.

Then fellate the cucumber.

CT

The Rambler
12-29-2007, 12:58 AM
Personally, especially for an indie band, I'd just chill onstage... maybe play a hand or two of poker with the guitarist.

skippertipper
12-29-2007, 03:30 AM
Thanks for the few serious replies lol :D:
any more serious stuff?

jazz_croatia
12-29-2007, 07:27 AM
Just go of stage and have a smoke and a drink, check your gear and chill. Two minutes is too short of a time to do something epic. Be cool cats. You know what I'm talknin' 'bout?

Dunjma
12-29-2007, 08:00 AM
play poker! get a small table on stage and some chairs and play a hand or two of some card game.

edit: damn it just saw someone already said that. aww well its still a cool thing to do.

The Rambler
12-29-2007, 11:02 AM
Thanks for the few serious replies lol :D:
any more serious stuff?
I was totally serious. I'd totally play poker on stage... have a little table off to the side a little bit.

[EDIT]: Dunjma knows what's going on.

Zycho
12-29-2007, 07:01 PM
Actually, handing out water bottles would be really cool depending on the venue.

Symmetry4321
12-29-2007, 07:15 PM
Well i think the bottle of water thing works

Another thing you could do is drag out the time it takes to actually do the song a bit and chill out with the crowd and have a chat with them

also if there are any tuning issues maybe then is the time to deal with them

Playing the card game 21 if you know it could work also (or any quick card game that you know)

Guitarfreak777
12-29-2007, 07:23 PM
You don't really wanna distract the crowd because your fellow musicians are still playing. Just take a chill, walk outside, grab a drink cool off. Come back in energized for the next song. No reason to take your bandmates shine time.

Dethvone1
12-29-2007, 08:46 PM
Dildo fight!

Just kididng. I agree with letting the ones who are playing take the spot light.

And playing a game of cards on the far side of the stage is an awesome idea. xP

destroy_techno
12-29-2007, 09:50 PM
have a nap on stage

LoneWanderer13
12-29-2007, 09:57 PM
Why not just dance? It can get the crowds energy up and if you're into it get other people to come on stage and dance with you (perhaps telling them to join you before the song starts). Getting the audience to dance along usually results in a good concert.

frog_friend
12-29-2007, 10:59 PM
Get of stage and walk around in the crowd. Thats always fun when the singer gets off stage and sings, or the guitarist goes down into the crowd for a solo. Just get down their and interact with them, give the crowd high fives or do something lol.

Gwynnell
12-30-2007, 07:06 AM
Its their moment, pianoists and drummers sit behind a huge instrument for an entire gig being basically ignored by the crowd, let em have at least 2 minutes, the gig isn't all about you. Lets face it anyway, if you've ever done a gig the chances are you know that there will be something that you need two minutes to do, change a string, tune guitar, change leads, check you're entire pedal board because somethings gone wrong.

Paleo Pete
12-30-2007, 01:23 PM
I agree, let the guys who are not playing leave the stage for the duration of the song, and Gwynell has a very good point, drummers and keyboard players don't often get to be "in the spotlight" unless you have a keyboard player like the one in one of the bands I was in years ago, he was a great player and did some great solos. I just couldn't get him to do enough of them. He wanted me to handle most of the leads on guitar or sax. That's the exception though, usually they sit there and play great stuff largely unnoticed. Let them have the stage and stay out of the way, anything you do will detract from the music. They and their song should be the focal point, not you.

AndrewDulina
12-31-2007, 12:03 PM
Pretend your guitars are swords and have sword fights with them.

I actualy like that idea!

Jett Diamond
01-01-2008, 12:10 AM
If you don't need to tune or anything, just set your guitars aside and lay down. Take a little nap on stage. It's weird enough to make the audience go WTF but subtle enough to still give the attention to your drummer / keyboardist. Because, honestly, no one worth anything will watch you sleep for two minutes.

Really, give 'em the spot light.

Gurgle!Argh!
01-01-2008, 09:31 AM
i agree that you shouldn't do anything but i wouldn't leave the stage either. tune up, check your pedalboard, take a few swigs of beer, listen to the song, have a little dance. easy stuff. to give a slight analogy one of my bands songs is just guitar, piano and vocals for the first couple of minutes. the effect of it is much better for having the drummer and bassist still onstage, listening and having a few drinks. i mean, if your band doesnt care enough about the song to stay on stage for it and listen, why should the audience care enough about it to listen to it?

EDIT: i just realised that this is now pointless because the gig has already passed. oh well.

SlackerBabbath
01-01-2008, 12:36 PM
At a theatre we played at once, we found a settee and a kettle and some pots and some coffee and a spoon in a backstage storage room, we'd already set all this up in the wings so we'd have somewhere for guests to relax during the gig, so during a long guitar solo, I dragged whole lot on stage, made a brew, and sat down on the settee.

Years ago, I was in a band that had bar optics attached to our amps with vodka, whisky, brandy and assorted mixers on them, so if anyone had nothing to do on stage for any amount of time, we'd just have a little drinkypoos. From the audience's viewpoint it looked hilarious.
We decided to take this a step further.
We took an old Marshall 4 x 12, removed the front board, removed the speakers, fitted hinges to one side of the front board, fastened it back on to the cabinet so that it opened like a door, fitted a small light with a switch that operated when the door opened, and filled it with cans of beer.
Imagine the faces in the crowd when I walked over to the guitar stack, opened the front of one of the cabinets, (which lit up when the door opened) and took out a beer. :D

Sonic Blast
01-01-2008, 12:47 PM
just give them their moment. you'd want the same. I mean, how would you like it if someone came up and stole your spotlight when you were playing something absolutely amazing?

SlackerBabbath
01-01-2008, 12:56 PM
just give them their moment. you'd want the same. I mean, how would you like it if someone came up and stole your spotlight when you were playing something absolutely amazing?
I'd be thinking, 'Thank god my mate's here to prevent me from looking too cheesy while I'm playing this guitar solo.' :D

Sonic Blast
01-01-2008, 01:06 PM
I'd be thinking, 'Thank god my mate's here to prevent me from looking too cheesy while I'm playing this guitar solo.' :D

lol, yeah i guess... but all the guys in my previous bands would have made my solos worse by doing stuff during it. personally, when it's my turn to have the spotlight you better get out of it, but when it's your turn, it's all yours.

SlackerBabbath
01-01-2008, 01:16 PM
lol, yeah i guess... but all the guys in my previous bands would have made my solos worse by doing stuff during it. personally, when it's my turn to have the spotlight you better get out of it, but when it's your turn, it's all yours.
That's fair enough. Each to their own bud. ;)
In my own band, we've all been together for so long that we very rarely take each other seriously anymore and if someone starts taking the p!ss onstage, hey, it's all good as long as the audience are enjoying it.