Blues Duels Round 1: Dimebag22 vs. JimmyStradlin33

PDA

View Full Version : Blues Duels Round 1: Dimebag22 vs. JimmyStradlin33

GD_GC
12-29-2007, 05:45 PM
Finally, a week of duels running how it is supposted to run! :haha

This matchup is between Dimebag22 and JimmyStradlin33, both great guitarist doing jams based on blues classics! It should be a good one!

Dimebag22: "Hideaway (http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/Dimebag22/)"

JimmyStradlin33: "Born Under A Bad Sign Jam (http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/JimmyStradlin33/) "

Good luck and may the best bluesman win!

gopherthegreat
12-29-2007, 05:50 PM
i am having a LOT of trouble deciding..........

GD_GC
12-29-2007, 06:12 PM
Im gonna cast my vote for dimebag, but they were both great

Ancient Jello
12-29-2007, 07:50 PM
This one is TOO hard! Going to have to listen a few more times before voting.

GD_GC
12-29-2007, 09:40 PM
we need voters!

Dimebag22
12-29-2007, 09:51 PM
I'm gonna vote for myself :p: Figures

I kinda liked the other one too. It wasn't bad. :cheers:

GD_GC
12-29-2007, 10:10 PM
bump for votes

This one needs a sticky!

DownInAHole.
12-29-2007, 10:29 PM
Dimebag.

GD_GC
12-29-2007, 11:02 PM
this one just isn't attracting as many voters as previous ones have, lets vote people!

strat335
12-29-2007, 11:10 PM
Dimebag.

d_byrne23
12-30-2007, 12:29 AM
The votes are lopsided, however I just wanna say you both did a good job, its not as lopsided as it looks

DownInAHole.
12-30-2007, 12:36 AM
Damn, dimebag is owning.

arsonite
12-30-2007, 12:47 AM
I really don't know they're both so close..............

I voted.

Dimebag22
12-30-2007, 01:55 AM
Oh shit, what the hell. :confused: The votes should be more even than that. To be honest, I was not happy at all with my entry :p: But thanks for the votes :)

Dimebag22
12-30-2007, 08:40 AM
We really need more voters :sad:

JimmyStradlin33
12-30-2007, 10:22 AM
Well congrats dimebag i admit yours was better but i didn't think it'd be this much between them in terms of votes. I hope you don't mind i voted for mine to try and bring some respectability to it lol. Anyone want to give me some feedback of what was wrong with mine? I have started a list of things i could improve on, basically
Gets a bit rambly in the middle,
Bends are sometimes out of tune
Tone is woeful, (the curse of using an mg i'm afraid)
Any other comments appreciated.

gopherthegreat
12-30-2007, 03:44 PM
i loved your tone, jimmystradlin

i would've thought it would be way more even than this.

5kuzgib
12-30-2007, 05:06 PM
Well congrats dimebag i admit yours was better but i didn't think it'd be this much between them in terms of votes. I hope you don't mind i voted for mine to try and bring some respectability to it lol. Anyone want to give me some feedback of what was wrong with mine? I have started a list of things i could improve on, basically
Gets a bit rambly in the middle,
Bends are sometimes out of tune
Tone is woeful, (the curse of using an mg i'm afraid)
Any other comments appreciated.

Hope you don't mind me... this may sound a bit harsh but this is what I noticed.

I was going to say most of the stuff you have said... but mostly for me, it's the rambly thing - you need to have more confident phrasing, and it seems like you are trying to play for playings sake, leave some room to breathe! It seemed quite samey all the way thorugh and, Im sure I heard a few out of key notes too. Also, the other guy had clear turnarounds to emphasise the changes, wheras yours did not.

Roots_radical
12-30-2007, 06:13 PM
Yay I voted for Jimmy!!! I had to listen like 5 times each though, it is very close! I don't think it's as much of a loss for Jimmy as it looks, this is the closest one I have seen yet but the votes aren't showing that, which is a shame :(
Well done to both of you anyway!

GD_GC
12-30-2007, 08:38 PM
uh oh this one still needs a sticky, i PM'd a mod though so it should get one soon.

Ancient Jello
12-30-2007, 08:51 PM
Yay I voted for Jimmy!!! I had to listen like 5 times each though, it is very close! I don't think it's as much of a loss for Jimmy as it looks, this is the closest one I have seen yet but the votes aren't showing that, which is a shame :(
Well done to both of you anyway!

I agree with all that especially "this is the closest one I have seen yet but the votes aren't showing that".

theneildeal
01-02-2008, 08:19 AM
they are both really good, and this continues to show that we have a lot of good blues guitarists on UG!

This was a difficult one to choose because they are both very good renditions. Jimmy, if you were up against most of the other contestants, i imagine that you would get through.

My vote goes to Dimebag! Im not looking forward to voting between either Dimebag, Sam_i_am or GDGC although im looking forward to hearing the songs!

sam i am
01-05-2008, 02:54 PM
I voted for Dimebag, because his was a solid sounding jam with some good licks and tone. I thought that jimmy's was good but he needs vary his phrasing and as somebody said stop playing all the time and leave some gaps. Also his tone wasn't great, and his not choices were odd, I think playing in a pentatonic scale a 4th or 5th away from the one he should be.

Tbh, I don't think this is that even a-duel. If one person's entry sounds clearly better than an other persons, the poll will look like it was a complete walkover when really it wasn't that bad.

Oh and thanks neil!

theneildeal
01-05-2008, 03:08 PM
its not a good day for englishmen is it jimmy?!

JimmyStradlin33
01-06-2008, 07:47 AM
No, no it isn't Neil. But like you said earlier it does go to show the quality of guitar playing on these forums and in these duels. I don't think i've heard a bad one so far really. And i agree with sam in that really mine and dimebags were too similar really both jams based around blues standards, and with his being better the poll was always going to make it look as if it was a walk over. But anyway congrats dimebag and good luck to everyone in the next round.

Dimebag22
01-06-2008, 10:29 AM
No, no it isn't Neil. But like you said earlier it does go to show the quality of guitar playing on these forums and in these duels. I don't think i've heard a bad one so far really. And i agree with sam in that really mine and dimebags were too similar really both jams based around blues standards, and with his being better the poll was always going to make it look as if it was a walk over. But anyway congrats dimebag and good luck to everyone in the next round.
Thanks bro. :cheers:

It's been fun dueling you :)

Hopefully we will see you in the next duels!

ECistheBest
01-06-2008, 10:33 AM
why did i miss the entries for this thing??? :sad:

i liked Dimebag22's song selection. Jim's was good too, but he souped it up too much into the Joe Bonamassa/Gary Moore direction...

even Dimo had too much gain on his. but had respectable tone.

JimmyStradlin33
01-06-2008, 11:28 AM
Thanks bro. :cheers:

It's been fun dueling you :)

Hopefully we will see you in the next duels!
Yeh definitely. On the subject of which i'm willing to help organise the next one if GDGC wants a break. It would be cool to have it as a quarterly thing or something but anyway yeah good luck in the next round.